6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Been Awhile!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been Awhile!

Hey Brothers! It's been awhile since I had the accident in the 250 and I had to ask a few questions. Not all of this is engine related but maybe someone can send me in the right directions. I'd do the searches...but once again I suffered another minor traumatic brain injury from the accident and I'm thinkin kinda slow. Reading isn't a strong point at thsi time due to the accident and the prior issues from Iraq. OK...here we go.

1) Does anyone know if FL will be going to Diesel inspections anytime soon? I'm being medically retired from Ft Bragg in 4-6 months and want to know since I'll be retiring back to North Florida.

2) I'm thinking about buying into an Amsoil distributorship...any thoughts?

3) I remember there was a console we could use from a later larger SD F Series in our F-250s. I'm in a 2006 lariat 4x4 6.0. I'm building a new custom console but I'm looking for a better base.

4) A dashboard question. Is the black bezel that cover the gauge cluster, switches, radio an entirely separate piece than the entire dashboard.

5) Has anyone used the new Rotella full synthetic? What are you thoughts?

6) Are there any good Ford Mechanics in the Gainesville, FL area?

Any help or thought would be a push in the right direction for me.

Thanks, Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CombatMedicF-250
Hey Brothers! It's been awhile since I had the accident in the 250 and I had to ask a few questions. Not all of this is engine related but maybe someone can send me in the right directions. I'd do the searches...but once again I suffered another minor traumatic brain injury from the accident and I'm thinkin kinda slow. Reading isn't a strong point at thsi time due to the accident and the prior issues from Iraq. OK...here we go.

1) Does anyone know if FL will be going to Diesel inspections anytime soon? I'm being medically retired from Ft Bragg in 4-6 months and want to know since I'll be retiring back to North Florida.

2) I'm thinking about buying into an Amsoil distributorship...any thoughts?

3) I remember there was a console we could use from a later larger SD F Series in our F-250s. I'm in a 2006 lariat 4x4 6.0. I'm building a new custom console but I'm looking for a better base.

4) A dashboard question. Is the black bezel that cover the gauge cluster, switches, radio an entirely separate piece than the entire dashboard.

5) Has anyone used the new Rotella full synthetic? What are you thoughts?

6) Are there any good Ford Mechanics in the Gainesville, FL area?

Any help or thought would be a push in the right direction for me.

Thanks, Mike
I don't know if I've said it before but I'm going to say it again:
God Bless YOU for your service to our country
If there's anything I can do to help you please don't be afraid to PM me. I have LOTS of friends in the diesel military community that would be more than glad to lend assistance in any way they can.

1) Can't help ya with the Florida emissions, but with an 06 you need to at least keep the EGR valve plugged in for proper fan operation

2) Scamsoil....enough said

3) I know there are different console's available, but I'm fairly certain they all mount in a very very similar fashion. Possibly try a salvage yard to check for differences before purchase.

4) Yes, the piece you are refering to comes out separately. I can give you instructions if you'd like.

5) There are several here running the new Rotella syn.

6) Check with Adam at First Coast Diesel Performance. He can probably direct you to a good mechanic in your area. He knows a lot of them since he's based in Florida

Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
I'd love instructions on how to remove that blessed part! LOL

Thank you for you blessings for me and my brothers and sisters in the armed forces. I pray for their lives at home and abroad every night. If I could, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Thanks again, Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Here ya go Mike: There's not really much to it, but a trim panel tool helps for popping the clips loose. After you get the radio and those two screws out it's easier to pop the bezel loose and take the electrical out.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Cluster Finish Panel.pdf (37.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Got it! Thanks so much!

Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank You For You Service

I use Rotella T6 in my truck, it cold starts better, its a little quieter. The important thing to remember is not to extend you oil change intervals without sending out a sample to someone like Blackstone to check it out.

You can install a center console from a 08-10 truck. Its a common mod. and I have done this myself. It bolted right in no issues, the only problem is if you have front buckets you cant fold down the arm rests, so I removed mine and covered the seats with Wet Oakle seat covers.

Good luck and as NC stated, if you need anything you can PM me and I'll help. I'll even give you my cel number to call me anytime.

Sarge

Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rule of thumb is the cheapest synthetic beats the best dino.

For me, the cheapest is Valvoline Premium Supreme Blue Synthetic @ $20 a gallon.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Gearloose...I totally agree on that one! I've used Amsoil before but what I won't prescribe too is the high mileage claims. I still stick to my normal 5k changes!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:57 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,409 Likes on 2,100 Posts
Good to see you back Mike

Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 AM
shhorn68
Freshman User
First - Thanks for serving our country!

I currently use the Rotella T but like the Amsoil better. It is just harder to find where I live. However, I do not follow the extended service times that any of the oil manufacturers claim. I just cannot make myself comfortable with that.

I bought a later model console and installed it in my 04 F350. You are probably more creative than me if you are building your own, but I love the way this updated one looks in my truck.

Wish I could be of more help with the emission inspections in FL, but I live in OK and we do not have them and are not likely to in the near future.

I definitely would not give any advice on investments or a different career and if you had seen how my plans have worked out you would not want the advice anyway!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Thank Maxium! It's great to be back! Between being maxed out by doc appts and the testing they've been keeping me going non-stop. Looks like I'll be medically retired before summer of next year. Funny...I already qualified for Social Security.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. I'm looking to customize the old girl to go on the road with a business to bring in money for vets who have PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injuries. I might even get a small business loan to open up my own shop in Gainesville, FL where I'll retire too along with a friend of mine to work on diesels doing mods and such.

Who know where the "Big Ranger in the Sky" might lead me. If anyone has any ideas...I'm all ears!

Mike

Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
pretty much all the questions have been awnsered so Ill leave that alone.
except Fl emmisions. I know in texas we are hearing rummors of jan next year. my guess is the rest of the states are not far off.
Thank you for you service

Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
We have inspections here in NC. But it's only a safety inspection. I needed windshield wipers! But nothing like emissions inspections here for diesels yet.

Anyone here come from the Gainesville, FL area?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Expect to see the smoke test (and visual inspection of mods) to be pretty standard.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts