Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Powersteering pump going out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:00 AM
TP83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powersteering pump going out?

I'm having some strange whine going on full time when the truck is running. Its the same whine that happens when the wheels are at full lock. Now it is happening while idling or cruising on the freeway. The brakes are a little mushy also. I wasn't doing anything different like trying to muscle the tires around. i shot out the lake launched the boat then parked, when i started the truck up and went to load up the boat it was making this weird noise. Any suggestions to what it might be or what i should look into when its light out? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I washed down my engine and got water into the Power Steering. Got a bad whine.
Found an article on here about how to change the fluid. Did that and added a can of Lucas PS lubricant, and whine is gone.
I am sure you didn't get water launching your boat, but just my .02 Jim

Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might be able to make it go away by changing the fluid. I tried that when mine started whining. It did help for a little while and then it started making the same noises again before finally giving up and spewing power steering fluid everywhere.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 AM
pbr man
Elder User
I flushed my power steering and replace the fluid with full synthetic ATF. It took about a month of running, but the whine completely went away. Two years later it is still gone. I would start with a full flush and give it some time before changing the pump.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
TP83
Senior User
Thanks, i'll give it a shot once it stops raining.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 PM
pbr man
Elder User
I was pretty disappointed when I first did the flush. I thought the whine in the pump would be noticeably less at first and it wasn't. I figured at that point I would just run it until I had time to change it out. As time went on, the noise gradually lessoned. About a month later I was going somewhere with my wife and we noticed that it was completely gone. The point being, give it a chance after the flush to see what it does.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
TP83
Senior User
We looked over the lines/pump today and found a leak coming for under the pump at a line running by the shock tower. The inner fender was completely covered in fluid. I wasn't able to find the exact location so i think we're gonna try to pull out the pump and see whats leaking. does anyone know about how much it costs to get the line fixed by a shop or how much and where i could buy a line to do it myself?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by TP83
We looked over the lines/pump today and found a leak coming for under the pump at a line running by the shock tower. The inner fender was completely covered in fluid. I wasn't able to find the exact location so i think we're gonna try to pull out the pump and see whats leaking. does anyone know about how much it costs to get the line fixed by a shop or how much and where i could buy a line to do it myself?
That seems to be a fairly common wear point and only needs a new line. You can get one from Parts guy ed, one of our sponsors. I wouldn't think you need to replace the pump. One of the guys will probably be along to tell you which line it probably is.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by Waynenap
That seems to be a fairly common wear point and only needs a new line. You can get one from Parts guy ed, one of our sponsors. I wouldn't think you need to replace the pump. One of the guys will probably be along to tell you which line it probably is.
I just went out and checked my truck and the pressure line from the pump to the hydro boost goes by the shock tower. I tried to load Partsguyed's web site to see the part # and price but can't load it for some reason. You can also get one from Rockauto, one of our sponsors. They have them, I checked.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Most of us that have been around here for a while have our line wrapped with split-loom, or similar, for the abrasion resistance.

It's a common design deficiency, easily overcome if you catch it in time.

But you gotta' read, read, read to know about it.

Pop

Old 09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Most of us that have been around here for a while have our line wrapped with split-loom, or similar, for the abrasion resistance.

It's a common design deficiency, easily overcome if you catch it in time.

But you gotta' read, read, read to know about it.

Pop
Just go to ebay and type in the size and split wire loom and be prepared to be amazed at how cheap it is.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I've added filters to most of the (usually unfiltered) fluids in my truck, necessitating a few feet of extra hoses. Some pressure, some "return". (Click on anything blue in my signature below.)

Most of them are covered in split-loom, even the steel-braided ones, with the exception of the 3/4 heater hose that takes my blowby to the rear bumper.

As Wayne said, it's cheap. Cheap insurance.

Pop

Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't agree more with the loom or bigger sized hose's used like a loom on those very close or rubbing areas, especially those PS hydraulic lines. Too late for the original poster but anybody else check that problem area Pop and Wayne mentioned, real easy insurance.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 AM
TP83
Senior User
I'm going to try napa or autozone for the parts tomorrow since i need to get moving asap otherwise i would order from Ed. Thanks for the help it was very useful, hopefully the line is the only problem.