1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Temporary gas tank. Anybody done this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Temporary gas tank. Anybody done this?

I don't want to put gasoline in the new tank. The truck isn't a driver yet and won't be for several years. Need a temporary small tank say 2 gallons that I can fire the motor on and then start it on a regular basis. I tried to buy a new steel gas can that I could braze a hose fitting on the bottom and safely mount it temporarily and then plumb it to the fuel pump. I can't find a regular can for sale. Only safety cans with spring loaded caps are available. Has anyone done this with a plastic can by epoxy glueing a fitting into it? I repaired the outlet my son's snowmobile tank in a similar way years ago and it worked fine.
Thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Buy a small outboard motor gas tank, fitting is already there.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 AM
seizure66
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to a video of a tank this guy made with a bucket. He actually has some pretty entertaining videos with some good info...right at about 2:05 min he looks at the tank he made.....

I really like the video he did with the wiper motor. Cheers!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a 1 gallon lacquer thinner can for months to move my truck in and out of the shop when working or cleaning up. I hung the can from the handle to the frame with wire. I drilled a hole in the cap of the can just to the OD of the fuel line and screwed it back on the can.

You wont need the fuel line comming out of the bottom of the can if your motor has a mechanical fuel pump as it will pull the fuel fine. If you really want the fuel line comming out of the bottom, just solder a small piece of 3/8 " copper line into the can, I did this many times to make a test can for tuning motorcycles with the gas tank removed.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,935 Likes on 1,876 Posts
I say keep it simple....

I used a 2 gallon plastic can, I just put a line on the vent side of the can and bungy corded the whole thing to the cowl of the truck. I could tilt the can onto its side so that it could gravity feed the carb;

LOL....not the other temporary devices....the PVC mock up upper radiator hose, flat bar radiator supports, and the extrememly long heater hoses....LOL

Bobby

Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a product called "Seal All" that would work for putting the rubber hose in the plastic can if you still want to go that route.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Thanks guys. I thought about using a metal thinner can but don't want to put fire/heat to it.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a plastic bottle on the side of the radiator mounted with line running to fuel pump.
It had a rubber gas line.....but that melted and I replaced it with steel line now.
Works great. You can also see if any dirt or crap is in the tank also.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turnrjr
Thanks guys. I thought about using a metal thinner can but don't want to put fire/heat to it.
I am always leary of that type of danger, I used caution and a can that was empty for some time and had no problems.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Steve Bennett
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
As was posted earlier, the easiest fix is an outboard motor gas tank. I have one hooked up now to my newly built 351W so I can hear it run to keep me inspired!! Works great. Hope this helps, Steve

Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 AM
hoobatech
Freshman User
i had a plastic gas tank out of an old john deere riding lawn mower bracketed onto the firewall prior to tearing the truck apart, worked pretty good, though i did get some funny looks from people at the gas station

Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Temporary Tank...

This is what I drove my '56 home with...

Worked just fine...copper line and a plane ol' rubber stopper in
the top...

It was set-up this way when we went to look at the truck...the P.O. said
the in-cab tank had a small leak...

Of course I ALWAYS refilled this little tank at home AFTER removing it from
the bed 'cause there is a steel-plate bed-floor...

-

Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Johnny5
Freshman User
I made one out of a lacquer thinner can. Punched a hole in the bottom of the side, got a brass nipple for 3/8 fuel line with a threaded end. Covered the threaded end with JB weld and shoved it in the hole and let it set. Next day, smeared JB weld over the joint again to ensure a good seal and let it cure. I've used it to work the bugs out of my 52 Customline, troubleshoot the ignition on one of my motorcycles, and taken it to start my 55 I just bought. With the rubber hose attached, you can use one of them little hose clamps they sell at autozone and pinch off the end, then tuck it into the can's handle and you are off and running to the next startup.

Easy peasy, real easy to use. Real handy to just grab and go.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
DumbLuck
Senior User
I had a friend weld up a rectangular box out of scrap steel. couple galvanized fittings welded on, a ball valve and rubber hose for fuel line. It's bolted to my frame just behind the cab as I dont have my flatbed built yet. The original fuel tank has some sort of funky fluid in it that's rumored to be gasoline, and the inside is pretty nastily rusted. This tank will get me thru untill the $150 for a new tank comes available. The math claims it should hold around 8 gallons.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Twelve bucks for a 2 gallon plastic can and a nylon hose fitting. Drilled a hole and epoxy glued it in the side bottom. Mounted it like Walford on the side of the radiator. Not pretty but it will work. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Temporary gas tank. Anybody done this?