1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Brakes went out! ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 AM
63ford63
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes went out! ?

alright i got a 63 ford f100 and its my project car but the other day the brakes went out like that in my drive way i think its the conncetion i havent really ever worked with brakes so im clueless if you know what it might be reply also when i found the truck it had a couple things of brake fluid in it but nothings leaking so ya..

Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to FTE!!! With brakes 'not working' I assume the pedal is going to the floor. If there were containers of fluid in the truck and you did not detect any fluid on the inner side of the tire then I suspect it's likely the brake master cylinder. Of the opinion it's best to focus on making sure the truck is machanically sound, brakes on the top of the list, before working on the cosmetics. Not sure if the brake system on 63 is simular or same as the 65's. Suggest start at each wheel and be prepared for the worse, that would be the drums are beyond the limits of being turned and need to be replaced. Next the condition of the cups on the brake cylinder, are they leaking, cracked etc. , and the condition of the brake shoes. Removing the drums can be a major task, I start by liberally spraying brake cleaner though every oriface I can get the solution into making sure to place something underneath, it can get messy, if able to back off the star adjuster all the better.

If not prepared to recondition brake sys. then a quick check would be to start by bleeding the brakes, starting at the furthest from the master cylinder; basically consist of pumping the pedal and keeping it depressed while the bleeder is opened, making sure the pedal remains depressed until there's a supply of fluid then close bleeder. There are bleeder kits available, just want to make sure no air is drawn into the system by letting the pedal up with bleeder open. If there's no improvement then either rebuild master cylinder, or replace. Posting pic of brake assembly from the 65 shop manual.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...emoval0002.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...emoval0001.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...rumremoval.jpg

FTE member posted a link to the 54-63 Master Parts catalog, scholl to the 'illustration' of the brake system; easier said than done, may find it helpful, strongly suggest either bookmark, or save to computer or disc.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...g-feature.html

Anyhow, rambled on enough, again welcome to the family of Ford Truck Enthusiast, looking forward to your input and post pic's if and when you can.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
baracade
Senior User
Always good advice to do all the maintainence on a old vehicle before starting the cosmetics! On my 66 I found the rear brakes were not working at all, the rubber line from the frame to the rear axle housing was plugged up from old age. I would suggest replacing all the rubber lines (I did) because they can blow out due to age.
Brakes are defineatly the first item to rebuild on an old vehicle, not much sense in going if you can not stop.
Also make sure the emergency brake cable is adjusted, just in case the brakes fail!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
airharley
Postmaster
I would start under the dash and look above the steering column to see if the firewall is wet where the pushrod passes through. Least amount of bending and crawling required. If it is dry there look inside the engine compartment. If it is completely dry on both sides, run with Dave's suppestion to find the bad cylinder. Typically you can see the fluid on the inside of the wheels dripping from the drum/backing plate if a wheel cylinder is bad.

Also a word of caution about the rubber lines. They may look perfectly fine on the outside but the inside can be clogged. So if you are replacing the wheel cylinders, change the 3 rubber lines and save the headache.