1979 Ford Bronco Power Steering Gear Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:27 AM
MichaelSo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but have been on many others and found them to be very resourceful.

Anyway, I have a 1979 Ford Bronco. It has set for about a year without being started and when I started it up for the first time the power steering was not working. When I turn the wheel to the left no power steering at all, and to the right I have a little, but real choppy. First I thought it was low on fluid, so I topped it off, and again no power steering to the left and choppy to the right.

I thought the pump went bad, so I replaced it with a new one. To my disappointment the new pump did exactly the same as before.

I bled the air all the way out of the lines still no improvement.

When the engine runs for awhile and I turn it off, I have power steering fluid spewed out of the filler cap on the reservoir (a new cap). It acts like its building up pressure in the system.

My question is, is there a valve of something in power steering gear box that could have dried out or went bad while sitting dormant over the year? I know there is a pressure release valve, but don’t know if this is the symptoms of a bad or stuck open valve.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
MichaelSo

Old 02-20-2003, 07:49 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I went through about half a dozen pumps before I found out I had to bleed the system, thoroughly. A chilton's manual can explain it pretty well, there's quite a few steps. If you don't have one I'll post the steps for ya, just let me know.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:03 PM
MichaelSo
New User

broncoholic,

Thanks for your help and response. I have actually thought about buying a hand vacuum device that fits into the reservoir filler hole and sucks the air out with it running.

The way I bled it the first time was to jack up the front end completely with it not running and turn the wheel all the way to the left. Then I filled the reservoir up to the full cold line. Next I cranked the back and forth about five times still with it not running. I started it up for a few minutes checked fluid level again and lowed down to ground. Still not working.

I would like to try the steps in the chilton's manual though. Is it specific for the Bronco or both the pickup and bronco. I can go down to the public library and see if the have on. If so I can make copies of that section.

Thanks again for the help.

Aside from the power steering issue, is there anyway to make these 351M motors peppier? I rebuilt it 10,000 miles ago. I put an RV cam in it, changed the intake to a edelbrock 4 barrel and put a Carter AFB 625 on it.

It really didn't seem to make it any peppier than the stock engine with the 2 barrel on it. It doesn’t pull the hill worth beans.

Will any other heads work on the 351M that will help it breath better and give more ponies?

Thanks
Michael Soares

Old 02-20-2003, 09:16 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas

The steps are more specific than what you did. I believe it is the same for pick-up and bronco, just get the right year. As for the motor go to this page, there is a lot of info in here. You'll have to search around for exactly what you're looking for though.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:25 AM
keith_mahoney
New User

You have to jack the front end in the air.
Take the p/s pump cap off
Start engine
Work whell back and forth real slow
Turn one way when it starts to make noise go the other way
Repeat as necessary and keep eye on p/s fluid level

Old 02-24-2003, 09:07 PM
MichaelSo
New User

keith_mahoney,

Thanks for the help and response. I will try that as well.

Michael

Old 02-24-2003, 10:34 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas

FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS! This is out of an old Chilton's Manual, 1982, that my dad gave me. The info in this old book surpasses the newer released Chilton's that I bought a few years ago. Actually, I couldn't find anything on system bleeding in the one that I bought!

SYSTEM BLEEDING

1. Disconnect the coil wire.
2. Crank the engine and continue adding fluid until the level stabilizes.
3. Continue to crank the engine and rotate the steering wheel about 30 degrees to either side of center.
4. Check the fluid level and add as required.
5. Connect the coil wire and start the engine. Allow it to run for several minutes.
6. Rotate the steering wheel from stop to stop.
7. Shut off the engine and check the fluid level. Add as necessary.

One thing that is not mentioned here that will aid in system bleeding is to have the rear of the truck as far above the front as possible. I have a ditch next to my house. When I changed my pump, I pulled the front of my truck into the ditch. This will aid in collecting the air at the opening of the pump so that it can escape. A friend of mine used a high lift jack to jack up the rear of his truck. Very scary and dangerous (I do not recommend, as you know steering the wheels shifts the front of the truck from side to side), but it did work! Whatever you do, use your brain, safety first!

Good Luck

Old 02-25-2003, 08:06 PM
MichaelSo
New User

broncoholic & keith_mahoney,

I took both of your guy’s advice and hints and the power steering is working great!!!! I wish I would have came here and asked before buying the new pump though. It probably was not bad at all just needed a good bleeding. Thanks again to both of you.

MichaelSo

Old 02-26-2003, 04:15 AM
keith_mahoney
New User
Talking 1979 Ford Bronco Power Steering Gear Box

Glad I could help. Have you checked out projectbronco.com ?