6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rail Road dust in paint!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Deanpugh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail dust on 2012 f150 Larait

Hi couple question that I now you guys could answer for me I have a 2012 f150 Larait white truck I purchased about a month ago and at the time I was to excited and never noticed orange rusty looking dots on my truck called rail dust of course washing it don't remove it but quest question if I don't bother removing them will them dots eventually get worse and turn in the becoming rust spots or no I never thought about sitting there and removing ever single small rust dot rail dust but if u guys say that it will get worse leaving it then I will remove it I was just wondering is it a big deal or not

Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Deanpugh
Hi couple question that I now you guys could answer for me I have a 2012 f150 Larait white truck I purchased about a month ago and at the time I was to excited and never noticed orange rusty looking dots on my truck called rail dust of course washing it don't remove it but quest question if I don't bother removing them will them dots eventually get worse and turn in the becoming rust spots or no I never thought about sitting there and removing ever single small rust dot rail dust but if u guys say that it will get worse leaving it then I will remove it I was just wondering is it a big deal or not
Won't really get any worse, of course it's not going to get any better on its own either. If you have the gumption and a nice warm day of weather pick your self up a clay bar and give your paint a nice clay massage. It should leave youwitb a ice smooth finish that just begs you to apply a fresh coat of wax on it.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Since you have a 2012 - if it hasn't turned into a rusting hole by now you should be OK. The rail dust bonds to the clear coat, so as long as the base coat and the coating of the steel panels are intact it shouldn't be any more than a discoloration.

It is a tough question to answer, especially without pictures though.

If you bought it from a dealer, it is possible that there detail shop could get it out for you.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
There is a product called Iron X, that you wash the entire truck with. It will completely remove it, then you'll have to wax the truck. It does come back though eventually. I personally will never own white or silver again.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
I've owned two Ram Heavy Duties, both white, both transported by rail, and both victims of rail dust. The problem most times is it's not gonna show up immediately, depending on where you live and the humidity in the air, because those metal particles need moisture to oxidize/rust and show themselves. In my cases it reared it's ugly head about 2-3 months after taking delivery. It was never an issue getting it out, other than the fact that there is a lot of acreage to cover on a full sized truck and in both cases it took me a day with a clay bar to get out and get a good layer of polish applied.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Deanpugh
New User
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
I've owned two Ram Heavy Duties, both white, both transported by rail, and both victims of rail dust. The problem most times is it's not gonna show up immediately, depending on where you live and the humidity in the air, because those metal particles need moisture to oxidize/rust and show themselves. In my cases it reared it's ugly head about 2-3 months after taking delivery. It was never an issue getting it out, other than the fact that there is a lot of acreage to cover on a full sized truck and in both cases it took me a day with a clay bar to get out and get a good layer of polish applied.
My question is what if I don't remove it will it cause future damage to paint and the metal and cause surface rust

Old 12-23-2015, 06:05 AM
Deanpugh
New User
Originally Posted by sammy77
There is a product called Iron X, that you wash the entire truck with. It will completely remove it, then you'll have to wax the truck. It does come back though eventually. I personally will never own white or silver again.

My question is what if I don't remove it will it cause future damage to paint and the metal and cause surface rust

Old 12-23-2015, 06:55 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,237 Likes on 2,257 Posts
You learn something new everyday! I've had this experience for years, but never new what to call them. A clay bar rub down will take care of most of them. I use by buffing wheel, experience with pressure and power on the buffer with some Mother's cleaner paste to get them off the really stubborn ones off. It takes time and it's not fun. I usually think I'm going to burn the paint off, but I haven't yet. I usually have to do it the Spring. After I get them all removed, a good patiently applied wax fully cured and removed makes it all better.

I have always been a believer that the deicers used in the rust belt are the culprits of this condition or at a minimum a catalyst. I think the chemicals get into imperfections in the paint and start working their mischief. Maybe it is rail dust. I don't know. I've had these on all trucks, but the silver and white ones show the worst. I've never not removed them, so I can't tell you what would happen. I figured leaving them was not an option for me as I hate cancer (rust) period. Take care of it early and it's elbow grease. Take care of it later and it's serious time in the shop. I don't have access to a booth so avoiding the booth is a priority for me

Old 12-23-2015, 07:28 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Deanpugh
I honestly don't know. I have never been able to look at my truck too long with the spots on it. I'm assuming nothing would happen if you left it like that. Most people aren't going to go through the hassle of removing the crap, like some of us nuts do around here.. lol

Old 12-23-2015, 07:34 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
To OP glad you took it back to dealership as soon as you noticed it. PM Crystal at ford service here on these threads. She might be able to help and also she might be able to change things at there end for how vehicles are shipped.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 942 Likes on 339 Posts
This is the reason I don't buy White vehicles anymore. Never heard it called railroad dust, but have experienced it. As Epic mentioned in earlier post, its bits of iron that oxidizes on the surface of the paint. Could come from metallic brake pad dust, or just the environment in general.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:29 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Aside from "rail dust" these are normal contaminants kicked up from the roadways, paved or dirt. No vehicle is immune from this, and white generally is the easiest to see.

Like others have said, wash the truck first. Then get a bottle of detail spray or soapy water to use as lubricant for the clay bar and have a blast. After claying it is a good idea to wax.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchase vehicles with the No Maintenance Appearance Package.

I'll frequently hose them down, paying attention to the windshield. Once every year or two it will see a wash bucket (funerals) then a quick wax -just before resale time.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:00 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Ok I'm a detail and painting professional. I paint and detail cars for a living. My question is how do you know it's rail road dust? Alot of times markings on vehicles are from insects and sometimes look like rust dots. My white 250 has them from time to time as well, just clay it with a quick detailer or soap and water and it will be fine

Old 12-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No big deal.
Just buy a clay bar and do it yourself.
I know its a pain but realize that "rail dust" is also dust from the brake pads of all the cars on the road. And it will be back in 6 months.
And you should clay bar your truck once a year to remove it.

Quick Reply: Rail Road dust in paint!!!!!!