Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Weak HPOP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 AM
IHMANKY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak HPOP?

Have been browsing the forums and have come to this 75% conclusion... (75% odds of being what it is, 100% hopes of this being it!) My '01 7.3, cold or hot, turns over 4-8 times before starting. Idles smoothly. When warmed up, has power but nothing like I think it should. (All the folks I know 'round here have D-maxes and Cummins' with the exception of a couple 6 liter fords.) When I say it's lacking, let's just say from standstill to slamming foot to the floor on a gravel road, it won't even break a wheel loose. When the turbo spools up (around 1500-1800 rpm), you can feel it push you back in the seat a bit. In park, the truck will rock back and forth as you stab the loud pedal, throttle response is instant. Tried pulling 18k the other day, almost had to put it in low lock to get moving. with foot on floor for about 5 seconds, she started crawling then gradually picked up. Temp started to increase on a slight grade. Luckily it was the only grade. On a 5% grade, I would think this truck should RIP with 18k behind it, or at least not get hot at 35 MPH. One more thing, when the tranny shifts from 3rd to 2nd on a hill and the RPM's climb, I'm getting a momentary CEL, seems to stay on longer in cooler air. (3-5 seconds tops). All filters, (fuel, air, oil) have been changed in the midst of this problem, and no change. Hoping it's the HPOP. Also replaced CPS with the updated one. What are the opinions on the HPOP? I don't have a code reader, but going to see if a mechanic friend of mine can hook me up over next weekend.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
The extended crank times do point to the HPOP system taking a while to build pressure.

If you can pull the codes and/or hook up that trailer and get some readings with your friend and his scanner that would be very helpful in the diagnosis.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 PM
mgrove1983
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may have the same problem. I have all the same symtoms except I also have the non-servicable plug leaking on mine and was thinking the oil bleeding off might be the causng the hard starts while the pump is repriming.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Like Kwik said, hard to say or come to any conclusion that I would be comfortable with. I would get some solid data before thowing any parts at it, IMO. Let us know what you come up with.