Newbie questions on starting etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
wildmand
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions on starting etc

Hi guys:

I'm new to diesels, I bought my first 3 weeks ago (1991 4wd 5 speed non turbo 125K miles, straight stock as far as I know) and truly love this truck. My previous 34 years of driving have been gas only.

Here I go...

When I start her I wait for the WTS light to go off (8 seconds)then turn her over. When cold she starts after a couple of turns and runs a bit rough for about 2-3 seconds then smooths out. There's a bit of grey smoke right when she starts, but otherwise she runs totally clean. The glow plugs keep cycling for about 10 seconds or so after startup. It's about 55*F outside. When warm she starts first turn and runs smooth.

Should I be pushing on the throttle a bit to start? If so how much? I haven't been. My last truck had a 5l gas efi motor, so I just started it without any throttle

I've noticed she Idles low (600) when she first starts. When warm the idle speed is around 700-750. The oil is 3500km (2?00 miles) old so it isnt like the oil is shot. Any thoughts on this?

Is it good to let her idle after startup and if so for how long? After startup I usually idle for about a a minute. Should I then drive her gently ( say max 1600 rpm) and let her warm up, or should I try to warm her up faster?

I know there are a pile of different questions here, and I have more where they come from. Like I said I am really new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dale

Great website by the way.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
You might have a glow plug that is bad, 8 seconds is a little short on the first startup. My 90 takes 12-14 seconds for the light to go out.The sticker on the visor says to give 1/2 throttle on starting if above 32 degrees, untill engine catches. Doing so sets the high idle. I usually just drive easy for a short time when engine is cold, unless it is extreamly cold out.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like startup is fine. would let it idle 3-5 mins before leaving if possible. since you just bought this truck with 2000? miles on oil i would change it and a fuel filter also.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold the throle half way down when starting if its cold hold it all the way down what this does is one set the high idle and B moves the low speed advanve to advance the timming for easyer start up. and 8 seconds does sound low check out the glowplug info at the top of the main IDI page.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 PM
wildmand
Freshman User
Thanks, and one more question

Thanks guys, I read up on the glowplug threads and I'll test the glow plugs. If I have to replace them I hope the previous owner used Motorcraft...Other info on throttle and warmup great as well

OK...I hate to ask this next question but if you dont ask you dont get the answer...and after I ask this you'll know how much I still have to learn

Now the injectors appear to be at the top of the cylinder heads like spark plugs, but...where the heck are the glow plugs? What do they look like? Can I tell what type they are by looking at them?

Is that the sound of laughter that I hear?

Cheers

Dale

Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are just to the inside of the Injectors, they have a heavy wire going to each one.

Looking at an Injector, look to the inside between the intake runners.

And no, I'm not laughing, Nobody knows everything, we all know something different!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-11-2010, 10:34 PM
wildmand
Freshman User
[quote=Festus Hagen;9316142]They are just to the inside of the Injectors, they have a heavy wire going to each one.

Looking at an Injector, look to the inside between the intake runners.

And no, I'm not laughing, Nobody knows everything, we all know something different!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Aha! Found 'em.

I was looking for something quite a bit bigger. I guess something that size, it's impossible to tell what make they are by looking at them when they're installed

Many thanks

Dale

Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
If you decide to take the Glow plugs out,its a good idea to put a couple drops of penetrating oil on each one of them the day before,{liquid wrench,or blaster} That will make them somewhat easier to deal with. If one wont come out,,STOP, get on and tell.There is a procedure to get them out. Once you get them out you can tell what they are. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you do go to pull them out, put the cylinder you are working on at TDC, this is done incase the tip breaks off, it prevents it from falling all the way into the cylinder and some have had success vacuuming them out.

Once you get the GP out, if the tip is there rotate the motor to get the next cylinder at TDC, then pull the next GP ... One at a time checking the tip before rotating and moving on to the next one.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
wildmand
Freshman User
going camping

Thanks guys, very helpful,

Going camping for a week or so in the truck, will check/replace glowplugs when I get back. Will probably have more questions then

Cheers

Dale