6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Garrett powermax installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol!!! Dang you think that might be why I have a vibration? I've installed my turbo both times with the pipes still tightened at the manifold. Turbo just slid right in. I figured I was good to go cause everything lined up. Lol!

Yeah and as far as the hard slow starts sometimes idk yet. Checked the voltage at the batts last night and there both reading 12.7. So I'll have to check the ficm maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
amgpro2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokersteve
Where did you get the turbo? How much?
Smokersteve, I ordered mine from xtreme diesel. Got for $1,189 no tax free shipping. They told me when i was ordering that there was a 6-8week back order on it.

Will post review and egt numbers once i get mine. I have a 3.5 factory down pipe no kitty and then to 4 " Gibson muffler and out. Got an egr delete kit from Diesel Customs International on Ebay for $225 that looks exactly the same as the sinister one. Excellent quality. That will probably change my EGT temps on my post turbo sensor but still expect lower reading on the pre turbo one. Waiting for turbo to install everything.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Now that Bench posts it I think I failed to ask you IF you had released the manifold to y-pipe bolts. Don't remember and not sure it's even possible to install a turbo with them tight (I don't want to try anyway).

And still having the long crank to start???? I thought that resolved itself? Waiting on FICM voltage.
Well I just got through checking the voltage. 48.2 KOEO and it never moved while cranking. Possibly injector? Icp is at 500 ish cranking.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by SHAWN056.0
Lol!!! Dang you think that might be why I have a vibration? I've installed my turbo both times with the pipes still tightened at the manifold. Turbo just slid right in. I figured I was good to go cause everything lined up. Lol!

Yeah and as far as the hard slow starts sometimes idk yet. Checked the voltage at the batts last night and there both reading 12.7. So I'll have to check the ficm maybe tonight or tomorrow.
Some folks are just "lucky" I guess. I can't ever get the turbo to y-pipe flanges to line up right and seal off without loosening the y-pipe so I just do it by habit.

Have you had your batteries load tested, although it seems the FICM voltage would drop if you had one bad. Maybe not.

One more thing to try.......wait an extra few seconds after the glowplug light goes out to crank it and see it that makes a difference.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 AM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Some folks are just "lucky" I guess. I can't ever get the turbo to y-pipe flanges to line up right and seal off without loosening the y-pipe so I just do it by habit.

Have you had your batteries load tested, although it seems the FICM voltage would drop if you had one bad. Maybe not.

One more thing to try.......wait an extra few seconds after the glowplug light goes out to crank it and see it that makes a difference.
I've had em both load tested, alternator tested, all is good so they said. Yeah I usually wait 45 sec KOEO before I crank it. Sometimes it fires right off and sometimes it just struggles. Idk man I guess I'll wait till it finally stops starting to worry about it anymore. This truck will be the death of me if I let it. Lol. Thanks for all the suggestions npc!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I'm confused about a lot of this Powermax turbo business. It's advertised to have less "turbo lag" than the stock and its supposed to spool quicker, but I've seen 1 or 2 people say it spools slower than stock. About how much power does it add overall? Also, River City Diesel has a modified Powermax that has a 68mm compressor wheel rather than the regular 65mm that the Powermax comes with. But will that small of a difference perform well enough to justify spending $800 more?!?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing that I can think of for those that have experience lag compared to the majority of others is that maybe they didn't have that tight of housing. Tighter housing might help compress the air and spool a bigger wheel compared to the same turbo with a bigger housing.

I don't know for sure, that's just my spitballing here.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
You will need to get updated tunes for the powermax to help with the lag.
Mine was about the same as stock with the new tunes.
I also get my FICM tuned from PHP and that helped a lot with turbo lag, it is almost like a gasser now, and Ipicked up about 1-1 1/2 mpg.
I would guess it added about 50-60HP.
And it sounds SOOOOOOOO sweet.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
You will need to get updated tunes for the powermax to help with the lag.
Mine was about the same as stock with the new tunes.
I also get my FICM tuned from PHP and that helped a lot with turbo lag, it is almost like a gasser now, and Ipicked up about 1-1 1/2 mpg.
I would guess it added about 50-60HP.
And it sounds SOOOOOOOO sweet.
But I thought the whole point of it being ball-bearing was to eliminate the lag...or is that just to compensate for it being a bigger turbo? And I've already gotten bill to tune my FICM. Great guy. But I don't have the sound to look forward to as I already have the 03 whistle. But my turbo right now has sooo much lag and I'm guessing it's because of how much gunk has gotten on the turbine. I cleaned as much off as would come off but it was CAKED!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Shawn we want to here about the IC boots.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
You should not have to much lag.
I think ether you need to try and clean it again or get a new turbo.
The powermax was a great upgrade to my truck do to the daily weight of 12,000 lbs.
It has really helped with the EGT's, I used to be able to get them up to 1500* pretty quick and now I have to try to get them up to 1300*.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
That it a good point have you checked you boots and Y-pipe for cracks?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
work truck- have you noticed at crusing speeds that your egts are higher? ive heard that about the pmax that at crusing the egts are higher but at WOT they are lower

Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Yes I think they are a little higher but the PSI is lower.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
thats what im afraid of is higher egts at cruising speed. i heard the psi is around like 5 though is that correct? and if you had to choose would you do it over again?

Quick Reply: Garrett powermax installed