2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 f-150 12 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My first tank of 100% city driving netted me 12.56mpg (hand calculated). The last "trip" we took was about 85% hwy and we netted 16.92mpg (again hand calculated). I'm actually kind of happy about this. The 5.0AWD Explorer that we replaced with the SCrew got 13 city and 15 hwy on 89 octane (to get rid of the ping).

I agree with Dano, I also don't want to work the entire week.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK very true who does like working the whole week. I run my own business and sometimes put in some long nights at home doing work but I still make sure I find time to enjoy myself.

Anyway one of the best ways to get some good mileage out of these trucks is drive them nicely and don't put big tires on them.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coskid
Ouch this is just mean man. What high school kid wants to work the entire week they want to go out with friends and have a good time.
Its not that bad lol (I may have been exaggerating a little)

Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
dirty_sohc
Freshman User
12 mpg? I think we should start questioning your math. With ethanol treated gas I average 16 mpg. That's a stock 5.4 XLT SCRew 4x4 with 115000 miles and never had a tune up. The fuel mileage has just recently dropped off, it was up around 19mpg for the first 80k miles. You either neeed to check your math or start looking for what is wrong.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
dirty_sohc, we should start by asking you a few things:
- Whats your gear ratio?
- What are you driving habits?
- What's your tire size?
- What's your location as changes in elevation (air density) can change mileage

Lastly, are you hand calculating? I hope you wouldn't rely on the onboard computer, if you have one. I'm not calling your statements false, but I do think you should carefully think about what you post before being that bold.

Just because YOU don't get 12-13mpg doesn't mean that the rest of us are doing anything wrong.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM
dirty_sohc
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
dirty_sohc, we should start by asking you a few things:
- Whats your gear ratio?
- What are you driving habits?
- What's your tire size?
- What's your location as changes in elevation (air density) can change mileage

Lastly, are you hand calculating? I hope you wouldn't rely on the onboard computer, if you have one. I'm not calling your statements false, but I do think you should carefully think about what you post before being that bold.

Just because YOU don't get 12-13mpg doesn't mean that the rest of us are doing anything wrong.
Truck is equipped 3.73 limited slip option. I'm running 285/70/17 Kelly Safari TSR(load D), an 8 ply tire so they are heavy. My mileage was calculated using excel and that's my average for the last 20k, recording gallons and mileage at fill up. Located in Columbia, SC, the hottest little **** hole in the south, with nasty humidity. As far as driving habits, I'm about 30/50/20 city/highway/off-road driving. Sorry to have pissed in your wheaties.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
dirty_sohc
Freshman User
To be exact, my current average is 16.2 mpg. The 20% off road is driving down dirt roads to go fishing or out my tree stand.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
This is why I hate these threads, there's always someone who chimes in either questioning our ability to do simple math or insinuates that their ability to get 20mpg is "normal" for these trucks and every one's real world experience is fundamentally flawed. To that I say .

Here's my real world experience:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...g-results.html

If anyone wants to claim over 16mpg city (with normal driving habits) please post in kind or provide a picture of your flux capacitor. If you don't have a camera handy please provide the name and address of the dealership selling vehicles that don't obey the basic laws of physics and thermodynamics. There are people I work with that will want to talk to you ASAP.

BTW, I want to work a full week, somebody please let Mr. Obama know that because he ain't listening to us NASA folk.

[/rant][/sarcasm]...its a monday.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bridge
BTW, I want to work a full week, somebody please let Mr. Obama know that because he ain't listening to us NASA folk.

[/rant][/sarcasm]...its a monday.
Haha Obama, don't get me started there.
Bridge, thank you for making a strong valid point here.
Dirty_sohc, I'm not mad at you, but just annoyed that your apparent luck with mpg's was thrown in our faces. I'm extactic that my 5800lb truck with well over 300cubes is getting in the double digits. Sure they're low, but hey to each their own.
Congrats on your 16's, I'm living fine in my 12's.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh lord I see this thread is going the wrong direction.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
dirty_sohc
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bridge
This is why I hate these threads, there's always someone who chimes in either questioning our ability to do simple math or insinuates that their ability to get 20mpg is "normal" for these trucks and every one's real world experience is fundamentally flawed.
If anyone wants to claim over 16mpg city (with normal driving habits) please post in kind or provide a picture of your flux capacitor. If you don't have a camera handy please provide the name and address of the dealership selling vehicles that don't obey the basic laws of physics and thermodynamics. There are people I work with that will want to talk to you ASAP.
First I never questioned anyones math, I just said to check it. If you feel your above mistakes go ahead and take that leap. I'm happy you work for NASA, but don't realy care. I'm retired at 34 years old and living quite comfortably and enjoying my days going fishing and playing with my cars. Now who is smarter? Second I never claimed to get 16 MPG in the city, I said my truck is averaging 16 MPG. Before you address the laws of physics you may want to go weigh your foot as that is normally the cause of poor mileage. I understand ****ty mileage more than most, I daily drove my Mustang before I bought this truck and as a joke I checked the mileage on that and it's average over a period of 3 weeks was just over 6 MPG. The truck has paid for itself in fuel savings since I've bought it. Now if your getting ****ty mileage call Ford and cry about it, I'll continue on with what I'm doing.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dirty_sohc
12 mpg? I think we should start questioning your math...
Funny, because i never mentioned your post or refered to you in any way. But you seem to have taken the defensive. While we're on the subject, did you even read your own post? I went ahead and read all of yours posted here over the last couple of days and most are a bit contentious.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dirty_sohc
I'm happy you work for NASA, but don't realy care. I'm retired at 34 years old and living quite comfortably and enjoying my days going fishing and playing with my cars. Now who is smarter?
I'm curious how intelligence has any correlation to retirement? Again, like with your 16mpg average, congrats on your early retirement.

Obviously your statements have waffled a bit from what you actually have typed here, and what you believe you have typed. I'm sorry that you think so poorly of us because our mileage differs from that of which you observe. Be HAPPY about that instead of putting each of us down about our observations. Your statements are ludicrous and lacking fact.
If you would like to provide some factual, relevant information to this thread then please do so. Otherwise, please keep your biased opinions somewhere else.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Christofiso
New User
Talking

High school kids with a vehicle that isn't over 10 years old ......what happened to the 73 toyota corolla for the first car? I was happy as _____ it was a car!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Hummah Zach
Senior User
Originally Posted by Christofiso
High school kids with a vehicle that isn't over 10 years old ......what happened to the 73 toyota corolla for the first car? I was happy as _____ it was a car!
Sometimes I think its because my dad just wanted an excuse to buy an awesome truck... haven't seen it for a week now though, starting to miss it

Quick Reply: 2004 f-150 12 mpg?