6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

may be in diesel market

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
redenis: There are some good points and I hope you know I'm not trying to "argue" with you or de-bunk your statements. You may be 100% correct in that it simply does not matter how the engine is operated. The leap that some of us do not take is really a matter of predicted reliability. We just don't know yet. It will take owners like the OP to be the real world test pilots.

The comparison to small car diesels is valid but it would be interesting to know the PCM strategies and how they are different in a 6.7 SD and a BMW diesel. The fuel strategies for one could be drastically different? I don't know.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 AM
jweidert
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree, good comments and insight by everyone. I still think what would really be helpful here is something additional either from Ford, or a Ford engineer/tech, who can properly advise on the range of driving habits/use cases this engine will tolerate, and what, if any, special procedures should be followed to ensure long term engine performance. I don't have my truck yet, so I can't speak for whether or not this documentation already exists. From the range of opinions on this topic, I don't think it's entirely clear. I can assure you that if there were some recommended procedures to follow depending on driving habits, I would most definitely be interested in them so I could do my part to ensure the longevity and problem free operation of the vehicle.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
Diesel Dads?
Hah! Damn I think you just coined the new phrase! Very good I like it! (I'm adding it to my sig, LOL )

And I agree with everyone that only time will tell if the new diesel technology will live up to its billing and be suitable for everyday light duty driving. BUt that is what it is designed for and if it doesn't work than the warranty claims will spike.

But I think the engineers have at least got the theory right on this. Now its all about execution!

Cheers,

Rich

Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
shop1722
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too would love for someone at FORD to let us know if this would be acceptable driving. I would hate to have them decline a warranty for lack of use. I'm just hoping that during the winter I may be driving my daughters around a little to help with the short trips. Maybe I can combine a few short ones in the morning to get the engine warmed up. I just love the idea of having that kind of power when I need it and to be able to get the mileage that the new diesel seems to be getting. I don't think I would be nearly as attracted if the mileage was in the low teens like it was a few years ago. I currently get 10 with my chevy and would love to see 18-20

Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
I havent seen any cases where warranty was denied for lack of use. They will fix any issue that may possibly arise as long as maintenance is performed at proper intervals, and the defective part is not due to bad fuel, or aftermarket items.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
When I attended the fleet release of this truck back in December there was the head engineer for the diesel systems there. I asked specifically about my driving habits and the affect it would have on the engine. I drive approximately 8 miles to work and tow around 5500lbs a couple times a month and heavier on occasion when I help friends. I specifically asked if they had done any testing with this type of usage, answer no. I asked if there would be any long term repercussions working the truck in this manner. He told me there really shouldn't be anything to worry about as long as I maintained the truck as a severe duty usage.

I really don't need a diesel engine but I don't like to overwork engines either. I live in an area that has lots of hills, long steep grades and I don't like slowing down on the long pulls. Even pulling 5500lbs my ole 95 7.3 would be hitting 1250 on a lot of these hills. Yes I had bigger exhaust, properly located pyro (Manifold), cold air intake, etc. Point is I bought the truck because I love the power, wanted something a bit more refined and comfortable then my 95, wanted the extra room of a CC, I could afford it, and I can afford to properly maintain it! Fortunately I live in a beautiful area with lots of scenic drives and I plan to take some nice long drives for coffee and pie on the weekends with the missus to make sure things get warmed up and allow any regens to happen properly. Based on what I was told by the engineer I don't think the OP has an issue, but if I were him I'd be loading it up once a week and going for a good run. Besides I'm betting he won't just drive the 2 miles to work any more!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chep
Besides I'm betting he won't just drive the 2 miles to work any more!
I know that's right

Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
sorry Rdenis but no matter what the technology, it simply can't make the engine warm up up any quicker. if the oil is below temp any moisture and combustion byproducts condense in the oil instead of being vaporized. little test for you,monitor your oil temp and coolant temp, see how much longer it takes for the oil temp to reach normal. usually about double. cool oil will lubricate fine but as moisture and acids build up it really shortens oil life and certainly can adversely affect engine life. oh yes those wonderful engine management systems, with the amount of juice it takes to start these things cold, do you think the batteries will fully charge in 2 miles? maybe if you let it run for half an hour before and after every trip

Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nitro you are trying to argue apples with oranges - good luck with that.