1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset TPMS 2011 F350...please help! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I had 55 and 57 psi in the rears and 54.5 and 56 in the front tires. I was only stating what the service adviser said to me. I aired my tires up to 60psi and re-set the TMPS and it has been fine. My tire label is calling for 65psi minimum all the way around.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
admorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys...just an update. Went to Ford dealer today... they updated my tpms to a lower threshold of 55psi allthe way around. $98 and I'm a happy camper. Could have waited a few days and probably got it done for free (my buddy was off a few days), but I'm impatient... haha

Old 10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Walkin Tall
New User
Originally Posted by admorris
Wow, thanks for the great advice. I bought load range E tires specifically b/c I had an F350 thinking that was enough, but I gave Ford too much credit. I didn't realize they had a backward *** monitoring system. Amazing to me that they wouldn't think that maybe there are people out there that would change tires on their trucks and maybe a few of those people would have 65psi tires vs. 80psi tires.
The same tires are on the front and back of my 2011 F-350 - the TPMS w ants me to have 80psi in back and 65 in front. With the truck empty it rides like a lumber wagon. There should be a "correct" air pressure for that tire to keep it from being over inflated or under inflated. I don't thing that any place between 65 and 80 is the correct pressure. At 5000 miles I had to rotate my tires because the rear tires were cupping and I think that is because of overpressure. I set the rears to 65 like ther front and I am putting up with reseting the fault everytime I drive it. Any suggestions??????

Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Lonecoyote69
New User
Totally unclear on WHY?

I have been drivin for eons, and never I repeat NEVER put max in any tire I have, worked in tireshop and found only tire that blows it the ones ran flat for a few miles and is always the outside wall that blows, you figure that out, I know why, now as for the pressure, higher pressure equals rougher stiffer less traction on snow and ice and most other conditions of ride but better fuel economy, thats a no brainer easier to roll along on, less pressure harder to roll on more gas used, better traction, so instead of watching your book on what the man. says use the common sense and u will see. Do u also follow the man. recommended oil changes at 7-8 k or do u like your vehicle and change it at a practical mileage, so the tire issue is the same.
Yes I expect some controversy but thats what the forum is for, right?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonecoyote69
I have been drivin for eons, and never I repeat NEVER put max in any tire I have, worked in tireshop and found only tire that blows it the ones ran flat for a few miles and is always the outside wall that blows, you figure that out, I know why, now as for the pressure, higher pressure equals rougher stiffer less traction on snow and ice and most other conditions of ride but better fuel economy, thats a no brainer easier to roll along on, less pressure harder to roll on more gas used, better traction, so instead of watching your book on what the man. says use the common sense and u will see. Do u also follow the man. recommended oil changes at 7-8 k or do u like your vehicle and change it at a practical mileage, so the tire issue is the same.
Yes I expect some controversy but thats what the forum is for, right?
Welcome to the forum, Lonecoyote.

Not sure I am following you. Are you saying you never, NEVER put maximum rated air pressure on a tire? Or never, NEVER put maximum weight on a tire?

I agree with you that running tires loaded up to their maximum rated weight is just asking for trouble. It is better to leave some safety margin between the weight of the truck and the rating of the tire.

However, I don't believe running a tire at maximum air pressure will damage it. There may be other reasons to not do that, like poor ride, poor handling, uneven wear. But they should not blow out due to using the rated air pressure.

Of course it is always advisable to use the air pressure that matches the load on the tire. Manufacturers used to all provide charts that told you how much air to use with a given load. It is hard to find that info any more. Too much liability I think, plus the enviro ***** want us to all run high pressure to save fuel.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow, thanks for the great advice. I bought load range E tires specifically b/c I had an F350 thinking that was enough, but I gave Ford too much credit. I didn't realize they had a backward *** monitoring system.
Thank your lawmakers. They are the ones who required Ford and other manufacturers to put the TPMS system on their vehicles. I'm glad my truck doesn't have it.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Lonecoyote69
New User
Tire pressure

Example: I am using a 2011 Dogde ram ½ ton and I have got it down to 35 psi without triggering the tpms, will be dropping it till i do trigger it, then up 1 psi as my preferred psi is about 32 cold with nitrogen as it moves less with temp change. I dont think I will get there but hope to. I use 6 ply never 8 or 10 as they sacrifice ride and traction big time and more so in the cold extremes of Canada. We have loaded extensivley in the past trucks with supplies and hauled over 120 miles with only 50 psi(4ply) and at highway speeds, yes they were lookin low but with car tires on trucks its better less pressure than trying to make them stand up like a truck 10 ply with 80 psi, its just not nesseceary, I run in the extreme conditions, 1-1½ gravel roads for the tire life which is about 35k till next set, only 6 ply at max and have used many 4 ply, with no issues, so it perplexes me when I see people wanting to run 65 plus psi in a tire on a truck 3/4 ton or less with a load that is usually no more than a set of golf clubs, yes they say you can but is it practical when a semi uses 100-115 psi with 10 times the weight per square in.
Yes we can say the book says, and thats why you get less life out of the tire ie: surface fatigue and cord rupture and breakage in the face long before its life would of been done.
40 years of driving and to dtae never ran a tire flat to blow out or low pressure and this is my first vehicle with tpms, and yes i have had many flats, your vehicle will respond differently and thats your que to stop and see why.
Hope tis answers some common sense questions, we spend way to much time on over kill, thats why we buy more stuff sooner than needed, its the mans. way of keeping the cash coming.
Have a great week.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM
RB-F250
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I'm like a day late and a dollar short on this thread, but this is my understanding of the whole system. I know the F250 is like 75 psi front and 80 psi rear. For the tire pressure monitor to go off, the tires need to get below 55 psi, which is about 25 % of 75 psi. Some dealerships are cool and will reset the low psi alert to whatever you want, say 45psi. A lot won't, it's apparently a "liability" and they just won't do it. The one near me won't.

I ended up putting oversized D rated tires on my truck, as you may know they should be set to max c.a. 65 psi. The shop that put them on set them to the recommend tire pressures on the door... Yeah. It sucked, at first I thought I bought the worst tires in the world. Felt like I was driving on my toes, and I literally was. Add onto that the fact that they weren't properly balanced, I went back. Still didn't balance them correctly... I went to a different shop! Balanced, and they called out the high tire pressure. As a general rule, don't go above the max pressure written on the side of the tire, and dont go 15 psi over that max pressure and drive around lot, it sucks.

Forget the door sticker if you didn't by E rated tire, seams obvious, apparently not at that one tire shop, but go by what the tire says. Since my D rated tires are bigger, they have plenty enough weight capacity to handle my truck and pretty much handle any haul. In fact my larger D rated tires have a higher weight capacity than the stock size E tires.

When I aired down my tires, the alarm didn't go off, I'm still at 65 psi, so I'm above that 55 psi mark. However when I got the new tires put on, the system did need to get rest, since my tires were at 80 psi, this worked when the original shop did it.

The rub is, if you have 65 psi tires, you need to air up to about 80, go through the reset procedure (or I think you can drive around a bit for it to rest if they just get low but have been programmed, not sure on this), and then you can air down. Frankly, I'm just fine with my truck letting me know that my tires are low by 10 psi rather than 25 psi. Thats a lot of lost mpg's if your not paying attention. Setting 65 psi tires to 80 psi sounds scarier then it is, if you can have a load on your truck it should be fine, and your only doing it to rest the TPMS.

This is my take. Hope it helps for future thread readers. Now all I need to figure out is if I buy a second set of TPMS sensors to install on winter tires and rims, will I need a special tool or will they correspond to my truck after going through the rest procedure?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:39 PM
FullMetalDiesel
Freshman User
bumped to life :)

TPMS reset procedure
The TPMS reset procedure needs to be performed after each tire rotation on vehicles that require different recommended tire pressures in the front tires as compared to the rear tires.
Overview
To provide the vehicle’s load carrying capability, some vehicles require different recommended tire pressures in the front tires as compared to the rear tires. The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) equipped on these vehicles is designed to illuminate the low tire pressure warning indicator at two different pressures; one for the front tires and one for the rear tires.
Since tires need to be rotated to provide consistent performance and maximum tire life, the tire pressure monitoring system needs to know when the tires are rotated to determine which set of tires are on the front and which are on the rear. With this information, the system can detect and properly warn of low tire pressures.
TPMS reset tips:
• To reduce the chances of interference from another vehicle, the TPMS reset procedure should be performed at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from another Ford Motor Company vehicle undergoing the TPMS reset procedure at the same time.
• Do not wait more than two minutes between resetting each tire sensor or the system will time-out and the entire procedure will have to be repeated on all four wheels.
• A double horn chirp indicates the need to repeat the procedure.
Performing the TPMS reset procedure
It is recommended that you read the entire procedure before attempting.

1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes
and then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
WARNING: To determine the required pressure(s) for your
vehicle – refer to the Safety Compliance Certification Label or Tire Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver’s door. See Vehicle loading - with and without a trailer in this chapter for more information.

2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.

3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.

4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. This must be accomplished within 10 seconds.
If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will sound once, the TPMS indicator will flash and the message center (if equipped) will display TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE. If this does not occur, please try again starting at

Step 2.
If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the TPMS indicator does not flash and the message center (if equipped) does not display TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE, seek service from your authorized dealer.

5. Train the TPMS sensors in the tires using the following TPMS reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following clockwise order:
• Left front (Driver’s side front tire)
• Right front (Passenger’s side front tire)
• Right rear (Passenger’s side rear tire)
• Left rear (Driver’s side rear tire)

6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and must be repeated.

7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.

8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.

9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained (driver’s side rear tire), the TPMS tell tale stops flashing, and the message center (if equipped) displays:

TRAINING COMPLETE.

10. Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer.

11. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure as indicated on the Safety Compliance Certification Label or Tire Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver’s door. See Vehicle loading - with and without a trailer in this chapter for more information.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:35 PM
ExDakotaOwner
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My tire sensor light wont go off. That is quite the process to get a simple light off.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:14 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
And after all that monkeying around, you still won't have changed the TPMS setpoint. All you will have done is tell the system the new tire locations. The TPMS will still expect pressures to be as stated on the door label.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:41 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the spare tire need to be included in this procedure??
Does the system see the spare if it's not installed?

Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 AM
WWR
Cargo Master
Received 381 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Does the spare tire need to be included in this procedure??
Does the system see the spare if it's not installed?
No, it's gotta spin/rotate to "wake up"

Old 12-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor installed.