1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel bearing assembles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:35 PM
layne345
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It for sure is the simplest way too tell, they wont mind buy new wiper blades or something, or take the opportunity to do the front brakes while you have it apart and buy the pads there to ease your mind

And yah, much easier than waiting on returning and re-ordering, also, from what I have read, odds are it is fine thread, so if that is what you ordered the odds of them being correct are in your favor.

As a fix if you didn't want to deal with returns you could do what one of the other guys was planning on if they came in wrong, simply by a set of lug nuts for the the front wheels only to match the thread on the hub, simple fix, simple that is if you don't mind the universe being out of balance

Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 AM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
What year is your truck? If I recall correctly, Ford switched from course to fine in 2003.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 AM
layne345
Freshman User
2003 F250 6.0 crew cab 4x4, aka buttercup.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Beware that there is a lot of fake / clone / repackaged / reconditioned bearings out there.

I have not seen a lot of truck grade bearings faked --- because it is easier to catch, but car grade stuff from ebay... be careful.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9361473

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
hitekhomeless
5th Wheeling
Thanks for all of the replies! My truck is 2001 F350 Dually 4x4 w/4wheel ABS. I purchased a Timken 515025. After some much needed sleep, it appears that there isn't a fine thread version for my truck after all. Sorry for the necro post.

You got me thinking Gearloose1. Yikes! I sure hope the ones that I am getting from amazon aren't fakes. I carry a lot of weight in my truck and my parts need to be quality. I have about 2.5 tons in the bed 24/7.

cheers,
jenn

Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
The biggest problem in the system is not Chinese made parts that are basically "to spec".

Problem is the scams ---

A lot of the knock offs are being sold as real parts on eBay and they are so well cloned that there is no way to know it is fake --- until you have serious issues.

Always ask yourself...

How is a vendor of a $500 part able to repeatedly (and restock) the same part that comes off the factory for $250 in large quantities?

I can understand ONE or TWO sets around because someone bought it and didn't need it.... but if they seem to have an endless supply cheaper than the factory sells it in bulk... where are they getting it?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
layne345
Freshman User
You do have to be careful, but having looked at the mexican built Autozone brand side by side with the Timken it is quite obvious in the fit and finish of the materials where the quality lies.

The markup can be incredible, my dealer for instance wanted 556.00 for Import bearings (ford branded) Autozone wanted 324.00 for Timkens, and Amazon was 164.00.

I value my truck and my families safety too much to use junk parts, so I used to buy only dealer parts, that is until I noticed the MAJORITY of them were mfg. in Taiwan, China or Mexico and these are Ford parts from the dealer, and with the run ins I have had lately with my dealer honoring warranties on parts I trust Amazon more than I do them (dealer) if something is wrong.

BTW, the Timkens from Amazon were packaged perfectly, with all documentation and instructions as to how to install the included seals, studs etc. if they were knock offs they did a really great job, time will tell.

Just my 2 cents

lj

Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by layne345
BTW, the Timkens from Amazon were packaged perfectly, with all documentation and instructions as to how to install the included seals, studs etc. if they were knock offs they did a really great job, time will tell.

Amazon do not make / market wheel bearings. Read it carefully, it is an affiliate firm that markets via Amazon's web site.

Now, that is not bad --- because you do have SOME protection from scams.

What I am seeing coming out of Asia is the fakes are perfectly packaged, virtually indistinguishable from the original and sometimes even with the proper laser markings on the parts.

Basically, if SKF, Timkin, etc. wants to stay in business, they got to put in a major investment in tamper resistant packaging, laser marking and serial numbering their parts, and perhaps even add serious anti-counterfeit features like micromachined holograms.

The fact is it is not happening --- and the supply chain is getting more and more polluted by the day.

I am still wondering --- how did the Amazon affiliate get it so cheap?

I don't put much stock on where it is made, it can be made in India as far as I am concerned --- but it has to be quality made.

Mexico / China / Taiwan / Japan are not necessarily bad --- and USA / Canada not necessarily good.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
This warehouse of counterfeit parts was just seized in England about 3 weeks ago...

Ask yourself... where did this all came from?

BBC News - Counterfeit car parts seized in south Armagh raid

3 September 2010 Last updated at 10:35 ET

Counterfeit car parts seized in south Armagh raid
Suspected counterfeit car parts Police released pictures of the suspected fake car parts

A large number of suspected counterfeit car parts have been seized by police in south Armagh.

Officers found the substandard parts, including brake pads, at premises on the Concession Road in Cullaville.

A large amount of cash was also recovered in Wednesday's operation.

The police have said anyone concerned that sub-standard parts have been fitted to their car should contact Trading Standards or the police.

PSNI Inspector Davy Beck said: "If these parts had ended up being fitted to vehicles being driven on local roads the consequences could have been deadly.

"While many counterfeit parts look very convincing, testing by Trading Standards has revealed serious safety implications.

"We are working hard to prevent these parts being circulated in south Armagh and this work will continue over coming weeks."

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
hitekhomeless
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by gearloose1
I can understand ONE or TWO sets around because someone bought it and didn't need it.... but if they seem to have an endless supply cheaper than the factory sells it in bulk... where are they getting it?
Do you know how much the factory sells then in bulk for? Are you sure it's not less than $200 each? I do not know what autozone's mark up is, do you? Could it be 75%? That sounds plausible to me.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hitekhomeless
Do you know how much the factory sells then in bulk for? Are you sure it's not less than $200 each? I do not know what autozone's mark up is, do you? Could it be 75%? That sounds plausible to me.

A quick rule of thumb:

If the retail price of the same part without the Ford dealer markup is $300 (normal retailer price).

Then, cost to make is 1/4 of that.

Or, $75.

If a manufacturer needs to offload excess inventory or to generate emergency cash flow, they would sell the part for somewhere north of $100 to cover VARIABLE costs.

Theory - they can make it again for $75.

But they are in fact losing money on the sale on a full cost basis.

On that note, a maker like Ford is likely buying the part somewhere around $100 to $150 MAX ---

So if you think about it, a part being sold for $168 is highly suspect --- depending on whether shipping / taxes are included.

I can see a high level distributor being stuck with excess parts, and need to unload some at their cost (north of $100).

But... eBay have to be paid.. or Amazon... and so on...

Plausible sources of the part:

a) mechanic billed customer for replacing the part, but cleaned up their old part, reconditioned /greased it, and took the real (new) part home.

b) stolen

c) clone / fake

d) excess inventory / someone bought it and don't need it.

So you choose the likely theory how someone can sell that for peanuts and make $$$?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
How I got a $250 part for .. next to nothing...

A part (abc) was removed from a vehicle and replaced under warranty.

The car maker had the option of telling the replacing dealer "no need to send it back, dispose of it", and did so.

It was fished out of the garbage can for me.

I paid for a coffee for the "fisherman".

I cleaned, reconditioned it --- and it works like new.

Is it legit? ABSOLUTELY

Is it lawful? ABSOLUTELY

Could I have sold the part on eBay for $150 and pocketed the $$$?

Of course.

You be the judge.

This part.. happens to be cleanable... but would you trust someone doing that with wheel bearings?

Believe it or not... lots of industrial bearings are actually reconditioned... not replaced outright with new.

Thee is actually a whole business around recertifying industrial bearings after they are cleaned, worn ones replaced or reground smaller, and cones replaced... and then reselling them.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 PM
hitekhomeless
5th Wheeling
Well mine have shipped (so much for 1-2 days processing time). I will have them in hand in the next day or two. Once I do, I will contact timken and do some research before I install them. Thanks for the heads up. Wish me luck. With the fact that my steering knuckle is toast too (ford wants $770 for it) and this is my only vehicle (which is currently in parts... waiting for new parts), I need to save where I can.

cheers,
jenn

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hitekhomeless
Well mine have shipped (so much for 1-2 days processing time). I will have them in hand in the next day or two. Once I do, I will contact timken and do some research before I install them. Thanks for the heads up. Wish me luck. With the fact that my steering knuckle is toast too (ford wants $770 for it) and this is my only vehicle (which is currently in parts... waiting for new parts), I need to save where I can.

cheers,
jenn
Good luck --- I believe you probably got a real McCoy part... do let us know.

Junk yard, bud... the source of nearly free parts.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
hitekhomeless
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Good luck --- I believe you probably got a real McCoy part... do let us know.

Junk yard, bud... the source of nearly free parts.
Thanks. I hope so. I will let you know.

Ya, I am waiting on a confirmation on a knuckle for $75 at a junk yard in the next town over.

cheers,
jenn

Quick Reply: wheel bearing assembles