6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

question about EBP sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:57 PM
calvinjwilcox
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about EBP sensor

Took my truck to the shop today for surging issues. Injectors are fine, turbo is fine, everything is fine except EBP sensor. Mechanic said it was giving erratic readings. He replaced it with a new one, didnt solve the issue, so he left it unplugged and the surging stopped. Ran like a champ. Can I leave the EBP sensor unplugged?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:20 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
What year model is your truck and did you by chance check the tube going from the EBP sensor to the exhaust manifold for an obstrution?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
I replaced mine when I did my EGR delete and cleaned the tube....I only had 45k on it and it was bad....looked like 50 yr smoker's lung....no offense.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
caere
Senior User
Don't the '03 and early year '04 not even use the EBP?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
dont leave the ebp unpluged it will cuase boost issues. boost issue are bad and lead to other things like head lifing and pumping coolant out of the degas bottle.
If the ebp being unpluged changes your concern, then the root casue is comming from what the ebp is monitering.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
calvinjwilcox
Freshman User
ok thanks for all the replies guys. I will definitely plug it back in. Seems like my tech. doesn't know what he's talking about or doing. Whats the best way to clean the tube? I looked at it today and it looks like a pain to take off. My truck is a 2005 F350 PSD. 5" MBRP Turbo Back straight pipe, Sinister EGR Delete and some other "stuff"

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

one of 2 things is going on either someone doesnt understand what they are playing with, or you didnt pick up what Im getting at.
the ebp sensor dies not moniter the tube.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

what rpm range do you get the surge and about how many rps does it change?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
calvinjwilcox
Freshman User
The EBP Sensor is brand new as of yesterday. Can't tell you exactly what RPM's the surging starts but i know it starts whenever it shifts into a lower gear for example getting on the freeway or going up a hill. The tech. said the EBP sensor was getting "erratic" readings and that's why he replaced it. Never said anything about cleaning the tube though.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

man, this type of stuff kills me. It was getting erratic readings, he says.... may be it was getting correct reading and thats why it was surging, its tring to make itself happy.
good thing for you he didnt look at the icp, egr, and vgt as those would also have erratic reading from the same concern.

I see you have an 05 truck. so thats usefull info. is the surge a few hundred rpm change? or is it something you just feel.
does it do it with the ac on or off or both?
you have a tac on your dash that can give you that awnser.

I would really love to help you but to do so requires as much of the above info as you can give me.

also was the "tech" at a ford dealer or an indy shop?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 PM
calvinjwilcox
Freshman User
The RPM's fluctuate only a couple hundred. Can't really feel it though. He looked over everything else. He said the ICP sensor and everything else was fine. He even plugged in a brand new PCM and that didn't solve the issue. He also said that the EGR delete was creating too much back pressure and thats why the EBP sensor was getting erratic readings.......sounds like a bunch of b.s. to me. He works out of a International/Ford dealership in MD. All they deal with is commercial trucks and the occasional privately owned truck so I thought he knew what he was doing.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

the egr being gone wont make back pressure changes that freak out the ebp. the egr delete is no different to the pcm then running with the egr at 100% duty cycle.
we know that the ebp will effect a positive change so thats a positive thing
disconnect the icp and that will put the truck in default icp it will run and drive, so take it around the block and see if that will also change it. I suspect it wont. but it narrows down the field.
I think what you have going on is a failing vgt actuator. this will cause a surge and erratic ebp reading.
as a rule this would show up with the pcm also moving the egr arround trin gto get a epb reading it wants.
basicly whats happening is the vgt is unable to contoll its self and land in the spot the pcm wants it to be in. this is all measured by the ebp.
just so you know...... changes in ebp happen from the egr valve and the vgt. so the pcm tries to change the egr valve and /or the turbos accuator to correct ebp per the pcm's requirements for boost and load.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
calvinjwilcox
Freshman User
Finally! Someone that makes sense. I plugged the EBP Sensor back in and unplugged the ICP Sensor and there was no change. So based off what your telling me the VGT Solenoid is failing?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

with out the truck in fornt of me its near impossible to 100% correct.... but in short based on my knowldge and the information you have provided ...... emmmmm YES.

and if you followed all of the above then your ahead of the game.

just an fyi if the icp effeced change then you would have needed to look for a high pressure oil leak first.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
calvinjwilcox
Freshman User
Thanks for the help cheezit. I should have talked to you first before I went out and had $400 snatched from me. I found a new VGT Solenoid on Ebay for 200 bucks. Sounds like a good deal? Kind of glad unplugging the ICP Sensor didn't change anything. High pressure oil leak is no fun at all.

Quick Reply: question about EBP sensor