1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Body swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Truck55
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body swap

I have a great 55 F-100 body. I want to put it on an 83 F-100 frame. Will it fit ok or do I need modifications. The 83 has rebuilt 302. So I will be getting engine and better suspension with the change. Also will use all the wiring from the 83.

so anyone know of any time saving suggestions or mods I need to make?

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to FTE! The forum search feature is your friend. This comes up all the time and has been beaten to death. The '83 chassis will be too long and too wide for your '55 shell. The biggest time saving suggestion I can give you is to find an original chassis. It's much quicker and simpler to make mods to the original chassis for modern brake/engine/suspension than it it to get an early body to fit a later chassis.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with BlueOval on this one. I't might seem like a good idea, but in the long run, it's more work than you can realize now.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
He only has 1 post so the search feature won't work for him until he has at least 25 post.

Please use Google to do a search using terms like frame swap or chassis swap.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ternative.html

At one time a question about a frame swap would draw great ire from many on this board. I say if you have the skills, money and time, go for it.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
The reason it's so highly discouraged is not because it can't be done or we're a bunch of purist hard-asses, but for the fact it is a difficult job that really doesn't fit together well without an incredible amount of cutting and custom fabrication. It's like trying to mate dogs and cats. A 1955 F-100 and a 1983 F-100 are two totally different animals. There have been many countless projects started and ruined by people thinking they can do this and it would be easy. We are just looking out for both you and your vintige iron, so 1) you don't get in over your head and become discouraged, and 2) trying desparately to keep another truck from becoming scrap.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The reason it's so highly discouraged is not because it can't be done or we're a bunch of purist hard-asses, but for the fact it is a difficult job that really doesn't fit together well without an incredible amount of cutting and custom fabrication. It's like trying to mate dogs and cats. A 1955 F-100 and a 1983 F-100 are two totally different animals. There have been many countless projects started and ruined by people thinking they can do this and it would be easy. We are just looking out for both you and your vintige iron, so 1) you don't get in over your head and become discouraged, and 2) trying desparately to keep another truck from becoming scrap.
nah, you guys are puritan hard asses...
My first post on here I mentioned swapping to a newer frame. Thing is, I have a lot of tools, and I'm pretty handy welding/fabricating, etc. But the frame swap isn't to be taken lightly, and yes, I wholeheartedly agree that there's an high chance of folks getting halfway through, giving up, and scrapping what's left or selling the project. Look for 'project' F100s... there's plenty for sale.
I don't care about handling, etc in my truck. I just want to get it on the road and enjoy... so I'm keeping it simple, and going to keep it mostly stock. I've got other projects that will go faster, carve corners, etc. I don't need the truck to do those things.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Truck55
I have a great 55 F-100 body. I want to put it on an 83 F-100 frame. Will it fit ok or do I need modifications. The 83 has rebuilt 302. So I will be getting engine and better suspension with the change. Also will use all the wiring from the 83.

so anyone know of any time saving suggestions or mods I need to make?

Thanks in advance for the help
Great sounding project you have planned. First thing is to check the wheel base of the 55 and compare that to the newer truck, see if it is even close. Leave the front clip on the 55 together (if it still is). Place your 55 box (with fenders on) onto the project with the best looking fit over the wheels. Place the cab on next and front clip after that. See what the wheel wells look like in relation to to the wheels on the project truck. Check your turning radiuss and clearance to the wheels. Then, take your running boards and see if they will comfortably fit between the rear fenders and the front fenders. Check the underneath for clearance for engine, transmissision, rear brake cables etc. If it will fit and the proportions look OK, note the locations of all the cab, box, front sheet metal mounting points ...makeing sure everything is square to the 'new' frame. If you are happy with the look and the cab will fit behind the motor and over the transmision weld new mounting brackets to the frame and drill the necessry holes. Install rubber bushings and grade 8 nuts and bolts. If needed install place shims for correct heights. Use your existing (new truck) wiring harnesses and everything elsed you can scavenge. This all might seem relatively simple but it is a matter of your will and ingenuity. It can be done, might have to use a torch and the welder a bit.

I have done a similar project. it was a 51 f1 on a 79 Cherokee Chief Jeep. I prefer to keep the trucks original or as close too it as I can, but this was a challenge of saving two trucks that were heading to the crusher. The 51 f1 had no chassis and the Jeep had no body.

Good luck, you can do it and keep us posted. Lots of pics too.
mervy49

Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 AM
tardster
Elder User
Ok heres a dumb question for all you guys n gals out there. Couldn't you basically just cut out 2 inches from the crossmember of the 83 and then just graft that onto the 55 frame?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by tardster
Ok heres a dumb question for all you guys n gals out there. Couldn't you basically just cut out 2 inches from the crossmember of the 83 and then just graft that onto the 55 frame?
You can "do" most anything. But what are the unintended consequences? What are you going to do with the steering linkage? The 83 F-100 suspension attaches to more than the crossmember. It's twin I-beam, so you have spring towers and strut brackets to contend with, as well. The frame shapes are all different, so there's no easy way to attach all that stuff. It's way too much work for little or no gain, imho. Way too much comprimising. You'd be far better off rebuilding the stock stuff.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Truck55
Freshman User
Thanks for all the pros and cons.

Here's another question. I do have a 53 frame. It has nothing on it just a frame. will the 83 front suspension work on the 53 frame?

I really want power steering and disc brakes.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Attached Images  

Last edited by Old F1; 09-01-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
tuck1
Junior User
Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
measure the width of the 83 frame, compare it to the 53 frame, measure axle width make sure wheel will fit between the fender wells, lots of measuring and planning ahead before the swap will eliviate most of the headaches.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by POS-F500
nah, you guys are puritan hard asses...
My first post on here I mentioned swapping to a newer frame. Thing is, I have a lot of tools, and I'm pretty handy welding/fabricating, etc. But the frame swap isn't to be taken lightly, and yes, I wholeheartedly agree that there's an high chance of folks getting halfway through, giving up, and scrapping what's left or selling the project. Look for 'project' F100s... there's plenty for sale.
I don't care about handling, etc in my truck. I just want to get it on the road and enjoy... so I'm keeping it simple, and going to keep it mostly stock. I've got other projects that will go faster, carve corners, etc. I don't need the truck to do those things.
I have to agree, I just bought some ones attempt of putting and 53 on a 97 ranger frame.....also told the guy that I did not need the frame and would be just using the body for his good fenders and doors. He knocked off a hundred dollars and I have to bring him his frame back when I get it seperated.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Layed Out 100
I have to agree, I just bought some ones attempt of putting and 53 on a 97 ranger frame.....also told the guy that I did not need the frame and would be just using the body for his good fenders and doors. He knocked off a hundred dollars and I have to bring him his frame back when I get it seperated.
Why does he still want the frame.....? there'r not gold plated yet?

Quick Reply: Body swap