Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CA SMOG P0683 $!@#$^ ---Update: Passed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA SMOG P0683 $!@#$^ ---Update: Passed

So go to the DMV this morning to transfer title of my F250 to my name but before they give me a sticker and title paperwork, they tell me I have to smog it. WTF?! Ok, so I walk off with my 60 day temporary permit.

I go straight to my usual smog station and ask if they do diesel. Sure. Ok....we put her on deck. Ran the OBDII scan and it failed smog. P0221 and P0683.....wtf?!? I tell my smog guy, hey i'll be right back, i'll clear the codes at home and bring it back. He tells me, ok, but you gotta clear it and then put some miles on it. He says at least 50. WTF? Ok np.

I get home, take note of the codes and clear them. Ok, P0221 is TPS and P0683 is GPCM. My dad just so happens to call me and I tell him "hey you want to take my truck and drive it wherever you want to run whatever errands you need to? I'm working from home and I can't get away" With him being retired he says, "sure can't pass up free diesel". I expect him to have it for a few days. He returns about 3 hours later and says "ran up 80 miles for ya!" I got the best pop!

I look at the clock and it's 4:00, let me check my scanner, clear, I clock out, and rush to my favorite smog guy again and it FAILS!??!?! Their smog machine this time says I failed but didn't return any trouble codes. The smog guy says it could be the "monitors" sensors. The smog machine senses if you've cleared codes just for the smog test, thus the reason you need to run up some miles on the truck so that the monitors clear and it won't fail smog.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded. Over the weekend I unplugged the Green GPCM connector to free up some room while fixing the o-ring leak on the fuel drain valve. I find it hard to believe I damaged my GPCM. I will have to check the white/lt green wire. At least the 0221 code didn't come back. He said to come back later during the week and he will run the test again. I'm not sure what to do. I don't wanna spend $200 for the GPCM if I don't need it but i'm not sure how to clear the "monitors". Whatever that is.

So now I have a title-less truck that doesn't pass fricken CA smog. HELP. Any input is welcome!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
If the truck has not run all it's self tests, then the P1000 code will be present which is an automatic fail.
P1000 code will go away when all the self tests have been run, that's the reason for the going and driving it for a while to give the computer a chance to run the self tests.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Any quick and easy way to get rid of the p1000?

Thanks for putting my mind at ease with your answer though.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Easy, yes. Quick, no.

Drive it. Combination city/freeway/city driving.

Varying speeds over miles and you'll "reset" the code.

This is/was a common problem that plagued Lightning owners.

Stewart

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Did a search last night and I found this posted by a LokiWolf. What do you think? Sounds legit. I just don't understand the last part.

Description
CAUTION: Strict observance of posted speed limits and attention to driving conditions are mandatory when proceeding through the drive cycle.

Note: Vehicles equipped with power take-off (PTO) or auxiliary idle control must have that system disengaged before the OBD drive cycle is initiated.

The primary intention of the OBD drive cycle is to clear the DTC P1000 and to satisfy the specifications for the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) specification J1979. Each OBD monitor must run during the drive cycle.

If the drive cycle is completed and P1000 is not cleared, repeat the entire drive cycle. If a particular step is interrupted, simply repeat the drive mode. If the drive cycle is interrupted with a key-off, only drive modes that were incomplete must be run.

Rough road conditions may prevent certain steady state conditions and steady accelerations from validating the transmission and load-related monitors.

Drive Cycle Procedure:
Key ON. Do not crank until the WAIT TO START light cycles, or at least 10 seconds, whichever occurs first.
Start the engine. Idle in PARK or NEUTRAL for 40 seconds.
Before continuing, engine oil temperature (EOT) must exceed 60°C (140°F).
The following outlines the appropriate conditions for running certain OBD monitors that require the engine to be under load:
Accelerate steadily to third gear (M/T use fourth gear) and hold at 1,500 RPM for 3 seconds. Accelerate steadily from 56 km/h (35 mph) to 105 km/h (65 mph) over approximately 15 seconds (M/T 11 seconds minimum).
Repeat Step 4.a. three times while maintaining the conditions in Step 4.a.
Before proceeding, turn all accessories off and disengage tow/haul/overdrive cancel.
Idle the vehicle for 20 seconds in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Key OFF.
Start the engine. Idle in PARK or NEUTRAL for 40 seconds.
Repeat the Quick Test.
Note: If P1000 is present after running the drive cycle:

Repeat Step 4.a., being certain to maintain a minimum mass fuel desired (MFDES) of 35 mg/stroke above 2,000 RPM for 11 seconds. Also, maintain a minimum MFDES of 30 mg/stroke above 2,800 RPM for at least 6 seconds.
Repeat Step 8. MFDES must remain below 12 mg/stroke for 11 consecutive seconds.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
I have to smog mine within a month also. We'll see how it goes. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Ok, so I found a more official drive cycle instruction for the 99-04 7.3l diesel.

1996-04 7.3L DIESEL

Description

Primary function of drive cycle procedure is to clear DTC P1000 and to satisfy specifications for SAE J1979. Each OBD-II monitor must run during drive cycle. If drive cycle has been completed and DTC P1000 is not cleared, repeat entire drive cycle. If a particular step is interrupted, repeat drive mode. If drive cycle is interrupted with a key-off, only drive modes that were incomplete must be run.
Performing Drive Cycle

1. Turn ignition on, but do not crank engine until WAIT TO START indicator turns off, or 10 seconds has passed (whichever is greater).
2. Start engine. Allow engine to idle with transmission in Park or Neutral for 40 seconds.
3. The following conditions must be followed to run certain OBD-II monitors that require engine to be under a load. On A/T models, select OVERDRIVE CANCEL to perform test in 3rd gear. On all models, turn on accessories (headlights, A/C compressor, blower fan, etc.). DO NOT use hazards or PTO. Select an uphill or level road. DO NOT select a downhill road. Driving downhill will unload engine and defeat test.
4. Accelerate steadily to 3rd gear (A/T) or 4th gear (M/T) and keep engine speed at 1500 RPM for 3 seconds. Accelerate steadily from 35 MPH to 65 MPH in about 15 seconds (A/T) or 11 seconds minimum (M/T). Repeat this procedure 3 times while maintaining conditions set in step 3) . Before proceeding, turn all accessories off and disengage OVERDRIVE CANCEL. On A/T models, go to next step. On M/T models, go to step 6.
5. On A/T models, drive vehicle in 4th gear continuously for one minute. Accelerate steadily from a full stop to 4th gear and then return to a full stop. Repeat this procedure 10 times, then go to next step.
6. Before continuing, use NGS tester and select EOT PID from PID/DATA MONITOR & RECORD menu. Ensure EOT PID value is more than 140°F (60°C). Allow engine to idle for 20 seconds in Park or Neutral. Turn ignition off. Start engine and allow engine to idle for 40 seconds in Park or Neutral. Repeat QUICK TEST in appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article. Drive cycle is complete.
7. If DTC P1000 is present after performing drive cycle, repeat step 4 maintaining a minimum MFDES PID value of 37 milligrams/stroke with engine speed at more than 1500 RPM for 11 seconds. Also, maintain a minimum MFDES of 37 milligrams/stroke with engine speed at more than 2300 RPM for at least 6 seconds. Repeat step 6. MFDES PID value must remain less than 12 milligrams/stroke for 11 seconds.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Ok, so I did the drive in post number 7 of this thread. I was convinced my truck had erroneous errors. I was wrong. After the exhaustive drive cycle, I wanted to re-check to make sure I didn't have any codes before bringing it back to the smog place. Wrong! It threw P0683 again!

I found a NIB Motorcraft GPCM for $85 and I'll be replacing it as soon as it gets in.

Question now is, can I replace the GPCM and will the PCM clear the trouble code? Or do I have to clear the code with my OBDII scanner and do another exhaustive drive cycle?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Ok, the GPCM replacement came in this weekend. Installed it and the P0683 code needed to be reset. Ok...reset it. I followed the drive cycle on post #7 of this thread exactly and drove straight to the SMOG station. I asked my buddy to plug in his OBD2 reader to see if the drive monitors cleared and they did! Woohoo, we put her on deck and she passed!

Now onto the DMV tomorrow to get my much needed title!

Next steps are to get my exhaust leaks (up-pipes) fixed and my intercooler boots replaced to get this puppy driving strong again!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Sweet!

Glad you've gotten it all taken care of and you can get your title.

Stewart

Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
$74 for the smog test and certificate, and $362 for the DMV.

Nothing that a little baksheesh won't take care of.

I actually feel like I'm submitting a bribe to my state government to allow me the privilege of driving this truck.

Pop

Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SpringerPop

I actually feel like I'm submitting a bribe to my state government to allow me the privilege of driving this truck.

Pop
Legal extortion. Or as they call it in New York, "Protection" money!

Stewart

Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop

Pop
you got that right Pop! Pain in the rear!

Erik

I can't wait to get this bad boy running right!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got my renewal notice today... $414!!!!! but no smog this year hehehe

Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Legal extortion. Or as they call it in New York, "Protection" money!
Originally Posted by stangclassic66
you got that right Pop! Pain in the rear!
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
got my renewal notice today... $414!!!!! but no smog this year hehehe
You guys all have THAT right!

Pop

Quick Reply: CA SMOG P0683 $!@#$^ ---Update: Passed