battery terminal connector replacement? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

battery terminal connector replacement?

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

battery terminal connector replacement?

 
  #1  
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM
handyandy123
handyandy123 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: miami beach
Posts: 115
handyandy123 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
battery terminal connector replacement?

'03 Ex Limited, 2wd, 6.0L diesel.

I was trying to clean the passenger side battery terminals from some corrosion that formed. The terminals are pretty corroded. I was trying to see if I can replace the battery cables but it looks like the passenger positive terminal shares a connector/clamp with the cable that runs to the driver's side battery. It looks like the two thick positive cables come in from different directions and both share the same positive clamp. In addition, the little red cable running off the passenger battery was very rusted (this all happened in the last 8 months when I bought new batteries). This little red cable goes back to the alternator or started I think, and when I was trying to loosen the nut holding the smaller cable (using a 10mm) it broke off from the whole positive terminal clamp. So now I'm left with needing to get a new passenger side battery terminal clamp for the two two big red cables as well as needing to reattach the smaller red/alternator/started cable. The bolt broke off when trying to loosen the nut. Now I'm stuck trying to force that bolt back out the hole but its fused pretty good.

Has anyone replaced their battery cables? The two big red ones look like 2 gauge. Would I just go a little further back than the corrosion and cut it there, then crimp on a new connector to run to the battery terminal? The smaller one I think I can just cut back an inch or two and still have enough cable (with a new connector of course) to remount on the positve terminal. Any suggestions? KNow the part number for the copper battery terminal connectors? Thanks for any help you guys can give.
 
  #2  
Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM
myblkex's Avatar
myblkex
myblkex is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island - NY
Posts: 415
myblkex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by handyandy123 View Post
'03 Ex Limited, 2wd, 6.0L diesel.

I was trying to clean the passenger side battery terminals from some corrosion that formed. The terminals are pretty corroded. I was trying to see if I can replace the battery cables but it looks like the passenger positive terminal shares a connector/clamp with the cable that runs to the driver's side battery. It looks like the two thick positive cables come in from different directions and both share the same positive clamp. In addition, the little red cable running off the passenger battery was very rusted (this all happened in the last 8 months when I bought new batteries). This little red cable goes back to the alternator or started I think, and when I was trying to loosen the nut holding the smaller cable (using a 10mm) it broke off from the whole positive terminal clamp. So now I'm left with needing to get a new passenger side battery terminal clamp for the two two big red cables as well as needing to reattach the smaller red/alternator/started cable. The bolt broke off when trying to loosen the nut. Now I'm stuck trying to force that bolt back out the hole but its fused pretty good.

Has anyone replaced their battery cables? The two big red ones look like 2 gauge. Would I just go a little further back than the corrosion and cut it there, then crimp on a new connector to run to the battery terminal? The smaller one I think I can just cut back an inch or two and still have enough cable (with a new connector of course) to remount on the positve terminal. Any suggestions? KNow the part number for the copper battery terminal connectors? Thanks for any help you guys can give.
On y my V10 my negative terminal snapped off - love Northeast rust when I was replacing my battery. I had to run out and got a new terminal for less than 5 bucks that even has a quick release screw type on top. It was real easy to just bolt on and no issues since. Not sure if that's what your referring to -- if it is - all you need to do is go to any auto store and they'll know what you mean... GL
 
  #3  
Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 AM
handyandy123
handyandy123 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: miami beach
Posts: 115
handyandy123 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Thanks... I'll check. Does your V10 have the dual batteries?

I wonder how hard it is to change the whole positive cable. The Ford replacement cable I think is around $130 and I didn't want to spend that. It also seems like a hard to get to place to try to get it on the alternator, or started or whatever. Not a whole lot of room to get your hands down into.
 
  #4  
Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Shepherd2
Shepherd2 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 513
Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.
If the cable is anything like the one on a V10 you can drill out the broken stud and just slip it over one of these. Same concept and alot sturdier.

Name:  Bat1b.jpg
Views: 13392
Size:  38.9 KB
 
  #5  
Old 08-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Snowseeker's Avatar
Snowseeker
Snowseeker is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 13,293
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
There is a whole array of battery terminals if you search google or ebay. I am a big fan of OEM style no matter what I do. I would search for a inline terminal like pictured below and crimp the ends like it should be. This is a little hard to do in the truck however. The bolt on ones like Shepherd posted will work as well if your not into factory looks.


 
  #6  
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Snowseeker's Avatar
Snowseeker
Snowseeker is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 13,293
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Looks as though some use a bolt instead of crimping that style terminal:

100_0741.jpg&t=1

Also now looking at the stock terminal I see they use the bolt style in these trucks right from the factory so what Shepherd posted should be just fine.

 
  #7  
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Auburn_in
Auburn_in is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 243
Auburn_in is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
  #8  
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Shepherd2
Shepherd2 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 513
Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.
That's what you would find on one of those imports with the coffee can sized exhaust tip.
 
  #9  
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 PM
XHunter's Avatar
XHunter
XHunter is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 520
XHunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
stock on the 6.0 is 6 gauge or even 8 gauge........,,,,,research doing the BIG 3, replace everything with 2 or 0 gauge... Its on my list of things to do.......
 
  #10  
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
CorpusBragg
CorpusBragg is offline
New User
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
CorpusBragg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look at the batt. terminal connectors related to audio system upgrades ("Stinger SBTMPPT HPM Multiple Output Battery Terminal Platinum Plated Positive Car Audio" (or similar). "The "Multiple Output" battery distribution terminals from Stinger come complete with outputs for 1-0 gauge, 1-4 gauge, 2-8 gauge wires. Allen type set screws"). I had my negative aftermarket lead connector stretch, thereby becoming loose on the terminal. Plan to replace with the above. Pricey at $36, but as noted above has provisions for several wire gauges.
 
  #11  
Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 AM
CarlSiroky
CarlSiroky is offline
New User
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
CarlSiroky is starting off with a positive reputation.
For Replacement Battery Terminal Clamps recommend BWD BH416

I recommend the BWD battery terminal replacement clamps to replace the flimsy limited life clamps that come on the Powerstroke. Search for BWD BH416. These are 2-0 with a real lead clamp. I got mine a O'Reilly for $4.29 each but they are available elsewhere too.
 
  #12  
Old 08-21-2016, 03:55 PM
R&T Babich
R&T Babich is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,305
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by handyandy123 View Post
.... Does your V10 have the dual batteries?

I wonder how hard it is to change the whole positive cable. The Ford replacement cable I think is around $130 and I didn't want to spend that. ....
The V10 has only one battery.

Ouch! $130 for one cable?
I moved all the battery connections to a stud inside a junction box, replaced the ground and positive cables, extended a couple of cable, new lugs, split loom, and added marine battery connectors with boots. Don't think I spent more than $100 for everything.
 
Attached Images  
  #13  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Stewart_H's Avatar
Stewart_H
Stewart_H is offline
The Nekkid Super Mod
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central Coast of CA
Posts: 27,964
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Before anyone responds to the first 10 posts, take into account this was a revived thread from 6 years ago.

Name:  OldThread.jpg
Views: 12683
Size:  13.6 KB

Stewart
 
  #14  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 PM
berick's Avatar
berick
berick is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB,Can
Posts: 750
berick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Before anyone responds to the first 10 posts, take into account this was a revived thread from 6 years ago.

Attachment 196275

Stewart
Who cares...... I'm in the same boat as this guy was and would like to find the part number to that connector as well. The local dealership here is telling me I need to buy a $230.00 cable in order to get the $5 connector. Stupid design..... the little nut and bolt that clamps everything to the battery is stripped all to hell and the way the cables sit make it almost impossible to use anything other than OEM for the one cable.
 
  #15  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Oldguyfl's Avatar
Oldguyfl
Oldguyfl is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,310
Oldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant futureOldguyfl has a brilliant future
I made all my own connectors and cables. Pretty easy to do. Amazon has everything you need.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: battery terminal connector replacement?


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.