Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   battery terminal connector replacement? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/986616-battery-terminal-connector-replacement.html)

handyandy123 08-27-2010 10:05 AM

battery terminal connector replacement?

'03 Ex Limited, 2wd, 6.0L diesel.

I was trying to clean the passenger side battery terminals from some corrosion that formed. The terminals are pretty corroded. I was trying to see if I can replace the battery cables but it looks like the passenger positive terminal shares a connector/clamp with the cable that runs to the driver's side battery. It looks like the two thick positive cables come in from different directions and both share the same positive clamp. In addition, the little red cable running off the passenger battery was very rusted (this all happened in the last 8 months when I bought new batteries). This little red cable goes back to the alternator or started I think, and when I was trying to loosen the nut holding the smaller cable (using a 10mm) it broke off from the whole positive terminal clamp. So now I'm left with needing to get a new passenger side battery terminal clamp for the two two big red cables as well as needing to reattach the smaller red/alternator/started cable. The bolt broke off when trying to loosen the nut. Now I'm stuck trying to force that bolt back out the hole but its fused pretty good.

Has anyone replaced their battery cables? The two big red ones look like 2 gauge. Would I just go a little further back than the corrosion and cut it there, then crimp on a new connector to run to the battery terminal? The smaller one I think I can just cut back an inch or two and still have enough cable (with a new connector of course) to remount on the positve terminal. Any suggestions? KNow the part number for the copper battery terminal connectors? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

myblkex 08-27-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by handyandy123 (Post 9264843)
'03 Ex Limited, 2wd, 6.0L diesel.

I was trying to clean the passenger side battery terminals from some corrosion that formed. The terminals are pretty corroded. I was trying to see if I can replace the battery cables but it looks like the passenger positive terminal shares a connector/clamp with the cable that runs to the driver's side battery. It looks like the two thick positive cables come in from different directions and both share the same positive clamp. In addition, the little red cable running off the passenger battery was very rusted (this all happened in the last 8 months when I bought new batteries). This little red cable goes back to the alternator or started I think, and when I was trying to loosen the nut holding the smaller cable (using a 10mm) it broke off from the whole positive terminal clamp. So now I'm left with needing to get a new passenger side battery terminal clamp for the two two big red cables as well as needing to reattach the smaller red/alternator/started cable. The bolt broke off when trying to loosen the nut. Now I'm stuck trying to force that bolt back out the hole but its fused pretty good.

Has anyone replaced their battery cables? The two big red ones look like 2 gauge. Would I just go a little further back than the corrosion and cut it there, then crimp on a new connector to run to the battery terminal? The smaller one I think I can just cut back an inch or two and still have enough cable (with a new connector of course) to remount on the positve terminal. Any suggestions? KNow the part number for the copper battery terminal connectors? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

On y my V10 my negative terminal snapped off - love Northeast rust :( when I was replacing my battery. I had to run out and got a new terminal for less than 5 bucks that even has a quick release screw type on top. It was real easy to just bolt on and no issues since. Not sure if that's what your referring to -- if it is - all you need to do is go to any auto store and they'll know what you mean... GL

handyandy123 08-27-2010 10:50 AM

Thanks... I'll check. Does your V10 have the dual batteries?

I wonder how hard it is to change the whole positive cable. The Ford replacement cable I think is around $130 and I didn't want to spend that. It also seems like a hard to get to place to try to get it on the alternator, or started or whatever. Not a whole lot of room to get your hands down into.

Shepherd2 08-27-2010 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the cable is anything like the one on a V10 you can drill out the broken stud and just slip it over one of these. Same concept and alot sturdier.

Attachment 203522

Snowseeker 08-27-2010 01:50 PM

There is a whole array of battery terminals if you search google or ebay. I am a big fan of OEM style no matter what I do. I would search for a inline terminal like pictured below and crimp the ends like it should be. This is a little hard to do in the truck however. The bolt on ones like Shepherd posted will work as well if your not into factory looks.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...inal_p_big.jpg

Snowseeker 08-27-2010 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks as though some use a bolt instead of crimping that style terminal:

Attachment 203520

Also now looking at the stock terminal I see they use the bolt style in these trucks right from the factory so what Shepherd posted should be just fine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=16261

Auburn_in 08-27-2010 06:13 PM

Amazon.com: Raptor RGBTMP-4C Rose Gold Positive Battery Terminal with Meter (1) 1/0 Gauge (2) 4 Gauge (2) 8 Gauge Oututs: Electronics

this one has a volt meter

Shepherd2 08-27-2010 08:20 PM

That's what you would find on one of those imports with the coffee can sized exhaust tip.

XHunter 08-27-2010 09:03 PM

stock on the 6.0 is 6 gauge or even 8 gauge........,,,,,research doing the BIG 3, replace everything with 2 or 0 gauge... Its on my list of things to do.......

CorpusBragg 09-29-2010 03:51 PM

Look at the batt. terminal connectors related to audio system upgrades ("Stinger SBTMPPT HPM Multiple Output Battery Terminal Platinum Plated Positive Car Audio" (or similar). "The "Multiple Output" battery distribution terminals from Stinger come complete with outputs for 1-0 gauge, 1-4 gauge, 2-8 gauge wires. Allen type set screws"). I had my negative aftermarket lead connector stretch, thereby becoming loose on the terminal. Plan to replace with the above. Pricey at $36, but as noted above has provisions for several wire gauges.

CarlSiroky 08-21-2016 09:35 AM

For Replacement Battery Terminal Clamps recommend BWD BH416

I recommend the BWD battery terminal replacement clamps to replace the flimsy limited life clamps that come on the Powerstroke. Search for BWD BH416. These are 2-0 with a real lead clamp. I got mine a O'Reilly for $4.29 each but they are available elsewhere too.

R&T Babich 08-21-2016 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by handyandy123 (Post 9264959)
.... Does your V10 have the dual batteries?

I wonder how hard it is to change the whole positive cable. The Ford replacement cable I think is around $130 and I didn't want to spend that. ....

The V10 has only one battery.

Ouch! $130 for one cable?
I moved all the battery connections to a stud inside a junction box, replaced the ground and positive cables, extended a couple of cable, new lugs, split loom, and added marine battery connectors with boots. Don't think I spent more than $100 for everything.

Stewart_H 08-22-2016 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before anyone responds to the first 10 posts, take into account this was a revived thread from 6 years ago.

Attachment 196275

Stewart

berick 11-08-2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 16516220)
Before anyone responds to the first 10 posts, take into account this was a revived thread from 6 years ago.

Attachment 196275

Stewart

Who cares...... I'm in the same boat as this guy was and would like to find the part number to that connector as well. The local dealership here is telling me I need to buy a $230.00 cable in order to get the $5 connector. Stupid design..... the little nut and bolt that clamps everything to the battery is stripped all to hell and the way the cables sit make it almost impossible to use anything other than OEM for the one cable.

Oldguyfl 11-08-2017 05:33 PM

I made all my own connectors and cables. Pretty easy to do. Amazon has everything you need.