Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Manitoba & immobilizers

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Manitoba & immobilizers

Do any of you Manitobans have immobilizers in your 77 or so F150's. I have to get one and was wondering?

Jim
77 F150 - 400 CI

Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
What do you mean by ''immobilizer'', a steering wheel lock or?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 AM
crerar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note: the following doesn't really answer the original question (Sorry Jim!), just gives some info on Manitoba Public Insurances's immobilizer program for the benefit of non-Manitobans

Originally Posted by Fomoko1
What do you mean by ''immobilizer'', a steering wheel lock or?
The immobilizer is a electronic gidget Manitoba Public Insurance began requiring owners of vehicle deemed "high risk" for auto theft to install on their vehicles at their own cost a few years ago.

Ethical Issues Of The MPI Immobilizer Program | Automotive - John Bain - Winnipeg,Manitoba

"The following is a basic understanding of how the MPI immobilizer program worked and some of the technology that was used. Manitoba Public Insurance (or MPI as I will refer to it for the remainder of the paper) created a list of “most-at-risk” vehicles that were known as an easy target for car thieves. People who owned these vehicles were given a 3 three month grace period in which to make an appointment to have an aftermarket immobilizer device installed in their vehicle at a certified immobilizer installation facility.
The vehicle immobilizer was designed so that it could be installed in a variety of vehicles; it was responsible for interrupting three key systems of a vehicle's fuel combustion system. The immobilizer could be deactivated to permit normal operation with the use of an RFID “tag” located on the owner’s keychain and reactivated once the vehicle was shutdown ... " The article goes on to point out potential drawbacks of having to have a mandatory electronic device that may occasionally malfunction and can only be of an approved design installed by an approved installer which, if it doesn't work neither will your car

Of course, newer vehicles have equivalent technology built in so this is less of an issue as there are less older vehicles on the road -cough-cough-
The following link helpfully lets you know whether your vehicle is required to have an immobilizer and how much it will cost to 'hook ya up':
Manitoba Public Insurance | Do You Need An Immobilizer?

Personally I liked the Magnaforce Lethal Defense option from RoboCop better:
MagnaVolt - Robocop 2 Commercial Video by Guy - MySpace Video
(anybody who's ever had their car messed with will probably get a kick out of this but I suppose there could be one or two problems if the electronics malfunctioned )

In short, as a Saskatchewan driver (for the last 16 years or so) I'm glad I don't have to deal with this "blame the victim" solution (unless SGI decides to pick up on this) and I can only offer Jim my sympathies and wish him good luck!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. No immobilizer here. Thankfully, I don't need one, yet. Lots of folks have had trouble with those things. As Bill pointed out, if it malfunctions, you don't go. I really don't like a lot of MPIC's policies, but we don't really have a choice now do we. Jim, I hope this works for you. Good luck. Are you in Winnipeg? I believe I'd need one if registered in Winnipeg, but not way out here.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 AM
jagabom
Tuned
Yea, I'am in Winnipeg. Have to get one to keep the registration. Hope this works.
Jim
CYWG

Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

I would hope that there would be some improvement with the design and installation of those things since they had such trouble when they were first introduced. What are you driving? I had a look at the MPIC site and yes, I would need one if I lived in the 'peg.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 PM
jagabom
Tuned
I got a 77 F150 and it hasn't been registered for several years. Before immobilizers came in. Week after I registered the truck, I got a registered letter saying I have 3 months to get an immobilizer or no registration. They will pay for it but it is just going to be a pain in the a$$ cause I know every once in a while it ani't going to let me start my truck. Will have to figure out how to disable it. I know some guys have.

Jm
77 F150 - 400 ci.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

I knew someone would figure out how to dissable them. That's good to here. Hopefully this works out for you. Keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
I`m glad I don`t have this hassle...yet.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
pjnadon
Senior User
I have the immobilizer in my 2002 F350 and have never had a problem at my work we have several 1/2 ton old and new with it in them and never had any problems with any of them I dont think I would disable it because if your truck does get stollen I can bet you that MPI will refuse the claim

Old 09-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

That's a good point. Also, it's nice to hear that it's worked out. Normally all one hears in the paper and on TV is how awful the things are. But hey, that's the media for ya. Hey PJ, where are you located?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 PM
pjnadon
Senior User
I am east of winnipeg near Oakbank MB

Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM
t_dickie
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jagabom
I got a 77 F150 and it hasn't been registered for several years. Before immobilizers came in. Week after I registered the truck, I got a registered letter saying I have 3 months to get an immobilizer or no registration. They will pay for it but it is just going to be a pain in the a$$ cause I know every once in a while it ani't going to let me start my truck. Will have to figure out how to disable it. I know some guys have.

Jm
77 F150 - 400 ci.
There's no real point in getting one (from a logic standpoint, not a MPI standpoint lol) According to the MPI website, immobilizers cut off power to the ignition, starter, and fuel supply. Assuming your truck has a mechanical fuel pump, the immobilizer cuts off power supply to at most 2 sources. I've heard but can't verify that for the ignition, it actually cuts off power supply to the computer. So if that is true, it is only doing 1 thing in your truck.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
less
Posting Guru
We have 4 vehicles in our household.....2 2007's, 1 2008, 1 2010.

Immobilizers were required to be factory installed in every new vehicle sold in Mb. as of Jan. 1 , 2008. The 2008, 2010 and one 2007 ( a Buick sedan bought in early 2007), have factory immobilizers.

The other 2007...doesn't...it's a Vibe...a clone of the Toyota Matrix.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Required Factory installed? No kidding. I suppose that makes some kind of sense. Sort of...

Quick Reply: Manitoba & immobilizers