6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2011 Super Duty tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by countrycars70
My 2011 Super Duty has 4 K miles it has the 6.2 and a 4.30 gear....in the last week it has been shifting a little erratic,now today it started making a noise like a pump whine....I stopped for some gas and it wouldn't back up...I am a used car dealer and I have a 22' goose neck open car trailer....Today I had a Hyundai on the trailer total weight around 6K..I am so dissapointed with this truck,It gets lousey fuel economy and now this...I wish I could get back my 2010 V10 6 speed manual ! Fords latest and greatest has NOT shown me a lot so far...However anything can break,but I am hearing more and more bad things about this transmission....I take it in tomorrow to see what is wrong with it.....it seems it has a solonoid problem as when you put it in reverese it seems like it wants to go foward and backward at the same time....put it in netrual after going foward and it jerks and wants to pull ahead. will post more later.
That is really not comforting to hear...I hope things get worked out for you! Keep us updated!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM
88stang1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up my truck on thursday and the tranny is something to be desired.
On the hwy when you step on it it does down shifts 2 times which is weird why does not just jump down 2 gears
First gear shifts to soon.
No other issues.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:48 PM
countrycars70
New User
My bad Trans.

Went over to the dealership that is working on my 2011 Super Duty.....they had the transmission out and said......Ford wont ship a new transmission until they tear this one down.....looks to me like Ford would want this transmission back asap to protect other owners from this potential problem....oh well I get a new one not a patched one by Thursday. Will up date later.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
socapots
Senior User
hope it works out for you.
Seems odd they wont ship one until the old one is looked at.. unless they are thinking its not a manufacturer defect..
keep us posted.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 AM
mar66tin
New User
tranny and engine auto - update

For all your trouble, did you know computer for tranny an engine are self teach. more you drive it, the truck change for better driveability.
if you always run it WOT, after 1 month, if you go on dyno, probably get 20-30hp more, computer change, if you always lightweight, when you pull heavy trailer, use tow haul mode .... because tranny can't work good. and if you always pull trailer without tow haul, when you pull free, tranny can do special thing !

Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM
countrycars70
New User
OK I called the ford dealer that is working on my truck today at 1:00 pm ....they told me the mechanic had the transmission torn down and it had 12 bad parts and the service manager reassured me that I would have my truck back by this friday afternoon... the parts were ordered.....I was told last saturday ford was going to replace the transmission but wanted a look see before they shipped the new one....... So at 2:00 pm today I deceided to phone the parts department to see what the status of the parts order was......the parts manager said what parts order.......we dont have any parts ordered for your truck......This is no BS......He puts me back on the phone with the service manager....Iam pissed....now he tells me there was some confuision over the parts order and they are waiting on a call from the district rep and feel he will ok an new transmission.I have been a used car dealer for 21 years I don't jack people around this is a bunch of crap from my ford dealer ! Next call tomorrow Ford I am really tired of this &^%$% my payment is 600.00 they have had my truck a week thats a 150 bucks... I dont see me getting reimbursed......I should have a new transmission in my truck by now ! Will up date later.... Just Venting.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM
socapots
Senior User
Originally Posted by countrycars70
OK I called the ford dealer that is working on my truck today at 1:00 pm ....they told me the mechanic had the transmission torn down and it had 12 bad parts and the service manager reassured me that I would have my truck back by this friday afternoon... the parts were ordered.....I was told last saturday ford was going to replace the transmission but wanted a look see before they shipped the new one....... So at 2:00 pm today I deceided to phone the parts department to see what the status of the parts order was......the parts manager said what parts order.......we dont have any parts ordered for your truck......This is no BS......He puts me back on the phone with the service manager....Iam pissed....now he tells me there was some confuision over the parts order and they are waiting on a call from the district rep and feel he will ok an new transmission.I have been a used car dealer for 21 years I don't jack people around this is a bunch of crap from my ford dealer ! Next call tomorrow Ford I am really tired of this &^%$% my payment is 600.00 they have had my truck a week thats a 150 bucks... I dont see me getting reimbursed......I should have a new transmission in my truck by now ! Will up date later.... Just Venting.
every reason to vent man.. its a crap deal.
Then again if you bring up this issue with corporate Ford (not the dealership) things may happen different for you.
Never know. But it is a crap deal.. Hope you get your **** back soon.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM
RaceTec
Freshman User
Picked up my 2011 6.2L last Monday. Have had the transmission problem a few times but twice very badly... This morning it was the worst, it seems to stall on upshift from first to second. Mine seems to be worse when cold and when light on the throttle. Time to call my dealer!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by RaceTec
Picked up my 2011 6.2L last Monday. Have had the transmission problem a few times but twice very badly... This morning it was the worst, it seems to stall on upshift from first to second. Mine seems to be worse when cold and when light on the throttle. Time to call my dealer!
Keep us informed - I had that happen a couple of times but cannot get it to reproduce now... ??? There was someone else who reported a similar thing - If you get any hard info from the dealer - please write it up...

Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 PM
countrycars70
New User
Up Date

Well the news today is the service manager called me and said Ford had authorized a new transmission for my truck......said it would be there and installed by friday ....in my opinion ford has a very big problem with these transmissions.....if everyone that has one of these trucks will look and pay attention to there transmission the way it shifts and the erratic operation most will have some kind of issue......dont wait...... as it may turn catastropic as mine did.....the scary thing is they dont have any parts to fix them with.....mine went bad fast as I tow my car trailer every other day.... and just got back from a trip to Talladega from northren Illinois with my 7500 # Camper. ....will up date if my truck is fixed It will go to North Carolina this weekend with the trailer.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Glad they went new...

I hope that solves your issue.. Keep us posted!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
docakers
New User
Hey guys. Have a new '11 F-350 Lariat. Having the same type of transmission problems. Most always occurs when cold. Seems to hesitate, as though it skips into neutral, then shifts into gear. Also is very jerky in first, as though it cant decide if the "clutch" wants to disengage. I only have 1500 miles so far. Happened as soon as I bought the truck. It seems to be getting worse. It also seems to want to shift into higher gears way too quickly as though trying to reduce RPM's. Haven't had a trailer behind it yet. Very concerned. BUNCH OF CRAP for a $60,000 truck. Any suggestions???

Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
socapots
Senior User
so how many people have found these problems when you took it for a test drive before you bought the truck??

Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Curious to know for those of you who have had failures with your trans what your trucks PCM code is and those who have erratic shifting as well whats your PCM code? My opinion is on the erratic shifting its just a reflash calibration change that might be needed at the dealership. On new model vehicles they come out with different strategies to improve drivability. In fact go to motorcraft service dot com and search for calibrations on the 2011 F150 5.0 and see that there is 5 strategies already and the truck is not even avail to public yet. I would ask them to update PCM first in your SD. The shifting into higher gears too soon is in all Fords SD 6.2L calibrations that wont change unless you have one of our flash devices.

By the way no issues here to report truck has been running great and has just about 6000 miles on it and getting ready to take a 1500 mile trip with it.

Mike

Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
countrycars70
New User
Try this test....when the transmission is hot just before you stop in drive shift to netural and give it a little gas and see if it jearks....that is how mine acted before it failed...also pay attention to reverse and see if it feels like it is binding...

Quick Reply: 2011 Super Duty tranny problems