1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

toe end alinement front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toe end alinement front wheels

What is the toe end alinement on the front wheels for a 1952 F1 with a 239 flathead motor in the truck. Anybody know what the difference is from the front of the wheel to the back. I think I read somewhere on the threads that it was 1/8 to 3/16 but can't find the thread now.

Thanks,
Larry Brauer
braular@yahoo.com
713-410-7481

Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Larry - long time no see. Hope the temp gauge thing is history!

Here is a link with your alignment specs - post #2.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...alignment.html

HOWEVER, these were good for speeds of a normal F1 - like 55 max.

I might be tempted to bring the toe in to 3/32 or even 1/8 for speeds above 60 or non bias ply tires. Also definately go at least 4 1/2 castor angle at speeds above 60 and non bias ply.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
0 to 1/8" will get it done - especially with modern radials. I've run my daily driver 48 there for 10 years....

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Note: For clarification, t's toe-in or toe-out, not toe end. Picture standing with your toes closer together than your heels ("toes in"), your feet represent toe-in of your front wheels where the tires are closer together at the front than at the rear. Now picture your feet making a "V" with your heels closer together than your toes ("toes out") now your feet represent toe-out.
Toe-in makes the tires want to steer slightly towards each other. That slight opposing steering stabilizes the vehicle and reduces tendency to wander and follow cracks and seams in the pavement.
If you must err, make it towards slightly more toe-IN than too little. A little excess toe-in will only cause the tires to wear slightly faster, Too little toe-in to toe-out will make driving a lot of work, constantly having to make steering corrections.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM
lbrauer
Senior User
Thanks for the answers on the toe end for the wheels Julie and Axracer. But Julie the temp guage thing is still ongoing still trying to figure out what to do next. Pull water pumps; pull heads to check if right gaskets are installed; or what? I have a schroud on now and the under the engine pan on now. Drove about 15 miles and of course the temp guage was on the H for hot. When I stop though and turn it off it will start right back up. I know i need to tweek the guage a little as it doesn't go all the way to the c on cold it goes only to the first mark before the last mark before the c. What do you think?

Larry Brauer
713-410-7481
braular@yahoo.com

Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend

At this particular point, honestly, I think it would be prudent to take the truck to an automotive electrical shop and have them fix your temp gauge. We've really just beaten it to death here, and there's really not much more that we can do.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
I hear you Julie and I guess I will have to do that. Thanks as always your the best.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
whateg01
More Turbo
Originally Posted by AXracer
Note: For clarification, t's toe-in or toe-out, not toe end. ...
Originally Posted by lbrauer
Thanks for the answers on the toe end ...
Didn't really get what racer was saying did you?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lbrauer
I hear you Julie and I guess I will have to do that. Thanks as always your the best.
Yeah I hate to give up on it, but at this point I just don't know what else to have you try???!!!!????

AX was trying to tell you that your truck will drive better if it is a little "Pidgeon Toed." Kinda like John Wayne!

I think Larry is thinking about "Tie Rod End" and may have mixed the terms - if I had his silly temp gauge, I'd be confused too!

Either the "Toe" is "in" (like "toe-in) or the "Toe" is "out" (similar to "Toe-out")

Now do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
I think he is saying that the front of the wheels need to be just a fraction in than in the back. I have had a few different ideas on the word toe in. You people that know all of this truck talk confuse me some times. I'm kink of stupid when it comes to all this different talk as you can tell. But I think that I'm trying to catch on to the savey.
Thanks for everything.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
I have a couple of different ideas that I might try. I have a different term of toe in than I think what is suppost to be. I think he means that the front of the wheels need to be a slite difference than the back. The front of the wheels need to be closer in than the back of the wheel. I'm stupid when it comes to the different language that is spoken on these threads by you smart people that know what your talking about but I think I'm kind of catching on slowly but surely.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
The only problem is the position you're looking from Larry.

LOOKING DOWN FROM ABOVE you just described "toe-in" - where the front is closer together than the rear. You're thinking right.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
needs to be a little closer together on the front side of the tires and further on the back.. cause as u roll down the road, the forces try to push the tires OUT on the front..

this is called the Toe Angle.. as Julie said, its either IN (good) or OUT (Bad)..

Sam
from Tire Tech Information - Alignment

Toe

The toe angle identifies the exact direction the tires are pointed compared to the centerline of the vehicle when viewed from directly above. Toe is expressed in either degrees or fractions-of-an-inch, and an axle is said to have positive toe-in when imaginary lines running through the centerlines of the tires intersect in front of the vehicle and have negative toe-out when they diverge. The toe setting is typically used to help compensate for the suspension bushings compliance to enhance tire wear. Toe can also be used to adjust vehicle handling.

A rear-wheel drive vehicle "pushes" the front axle's tires as they roll along the road. Tire rolling resistance causes a little drag resulting in rearward movement of the suspension arms against their bushings. Because of this, most rear-wheel drive vehicles use some positive toe-in to compensate for the movement, enabling the tires to run parallel to each other at speed.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
tuck1
Junior User
Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I was also trying to correct your terminology, there is no such thing as "toe end" on your truck (just on you feet, as in "where does your toe end, son? we need to buy the sneakers big enough to give you growin' room..." ). I'm not trying to be critical, it's just that using the correct terms makes it easier for others to understand your questions.

Quick Reply: toe end alinement front wheels