1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Japedo's 66 build...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
LBF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
progress is good!

I might have to give that a try sometime...
(make some progress, I mean.)

Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 AM
japedo
Junior User
Originally Posted by LBF
I might have to give that a try sometime...
(make some progress, I mean.)

Ya, finding spare time along with ambition can be tricky at times.

Whats your general opinion, as an engine rebuilder, of the 351M. THanks LBF

Japedo

Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 AM
bluestang65
Tuned
Originally Posted by japedo
Ya, finding spare time along with ambition can be tricky at times.

Whats your general opinion, as an engine rebuilder, of the 351M. THanks LBF

Japedo
You could build the 351M, but why? More parts and I would argue more potential with the 351W since there's an aftermarket following for them. I'd keep looking for that BBF though.

Although I'm curious...what's wrong with the EFI 4.6 from the CV? You've got everything you need to just drop the cab over what you already have, fire it up and go.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
If I was to drop that mod motor in one of these trucks I would use a carb with it. Theres to much of a wiring mess on that stock crown vic harness etc. I would also do 4v heads on it.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
japedo
Junior User
Originally Posted by bluestang65
You could build the 351M, but why? More parts and I would argue more potential with the 351W since there's an aftermarket following for them. I'd keep looking for that BBF though.

Although I'm curious...what's wrong with the EFI 4.6 from the CV? You've got everything you need to just drop the cab over what you already have, fire it up and go.

Ya, the 351M does seem like the ugly stepchild the more i read into it.

I am not actually sure if the 4.6 works in the crown vic, the starter wouldn't engage. BUt I can turn the crank over by hand and it has 225 kilometres on it so it's probably fine.
And part of me thinks I should use the 4.6 EFI in my build, but it's just all the wires involved and lack of horsepower. I know the reliability and fuel consumption would be great. BUt I appreciate the simplicity of a carbed setup and think it would look best in this truck, or thats what im trying to convince myself.... lol

I still have my eyes open for a local BBF, but the vic was free and would sure keep this build cheap.

Japedo

Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
heres some food for thought
this is a 5.4 Navi engine thats in a 94 GT

Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
japedo
Junior User
Originally Posted by SixtySix Ford
heres some food for thought
this is a 5.4 Navi engine thats in a 94 GT

Thank's for the link, this damn work computer won't let me check it out, or look at any pictures. But I'll be sure to check it out once im home.

sounds interesting.

Japedo

Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
66crawler
Elder User
Looks expensive, if you want a 4.6 dohc look for a lincoln mark viii.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
in all honesty its no more expensive then getting a DFI system and alot more simple then DFI or EFI

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
japedo
Junior User
in all honesty its no more expensive then getting a DFI system and alot more simple then DFI or EFI
Im not quite sure what DFI means, direct fuel injection?

Check out this link I found, 4.6L carb conversion kit from edelbrock. Edelbrock 2839 Edelbrock Victor Jr. 4.6L Ford Carbureted Intake Manifold Kit

770$ for the kit seems like alot but here is a good link on how it performs. Ford 4.6 Engine - Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v - Engine Build Up - Hot Rod Magazine

Although the 300 easily attainable hp isn't a crazy amount, the benefit would be I can pick these engines up, for free or next to nothing all day long.

japedo

Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
DFI in short really is another forum of EFI that is totally tune able by your laptop or home computer. However with all that comes a price! Edelbrocks system is ok for the most part but that isnt the only carb intake for a mod motor! And that intake is only for 2v 4.6s. With that said my friends Sullivan Performancewww.sullivanperformance.com were the first ones ever to come out with the carb intakes for the mod engines. They can also be converted to EFI intakes as well........

Anyway you go is going to cost money for sure, because nothing is free. You will have to figure out what your budget will allow for you and whats best for you. I can also tell you depending on what you want in a 460 will cost you anywhere from 1500 on up. Now with that said mod motors are great engines and can make lots of power givin the right tools. That 4.6 2v that you got now can do most anything you want! but again its gonna cost you.....I will also say that with a 4.6 you can run a nice T-45 5 speed trans or even a 6 speed if you wanted to? Thats not saying you cant stick a 5 speed behind a 460. Its just the options are better with a 4.6!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 PM
japedo
Junior User
DFI in short really is another forum of EFI that is totally tune able by your laptop or home computer. However with all that comes a price! Edelbrocks system is ok for the most part but that isnt the only carb intake for a mod motor! And that intake is only for 2v 4.6s. With that said my friends Sullivan Performancewww.sullivanperformance.com were the first ones ever to come out with the carb intakes for the mod engines. They can also be converted to EFI intakes as well........

Anyway you go is going to cost money for sure, because nothing is free. You will have to figure out what your budget will allow for you and whats best for you. I can also tell you depending on what you want in a 460 will cost you anywhere from 1500 on up. Now with that said mod motors are great engines and can make lots of power givin the right tools. That 4.6 2v that you got now can do most anything you want! but again its gonna cost you.....I will also say that with a 4.6 you can run a nice T-45 5 speed trans or even a 6 speed if you wanted to? Thats not saying you cant stick a 5 speed behind a 460. Its just the options are better with a 4.6!
THats alot of great info there. THe 4.6 would be the most affordable and probably practical choice for me. For aprox 1000$ I could get the edelbrock carb conversion kit, and a set of second hand PI heads for my old 2V. Then I would just need a carb and I would technically have a decent setup.
Do they make an intake for the 4V heads?

A nice smooth shifting manual tranny would be nice as well. Although I believe the old C4 I have would bolt to the mod as well.

Time will tell, but the 4.6 sounds like an interesting unit carbed.

thanks again for the input, I really wasn't aware that there was a carb intake manifold for the 4.6 untill today. shows how much I know. lol

Japedo

Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
66crawler
Elder User
Why not just use the 4 cam motor and leave it efi? 280-300hp and 25mpg stock, then you can use the money you saved not putting a carb on it and get a twin turbo kit and make a conservative 500+hp.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
bluestang65
Tuned
Don't be so intimidated by the fuel injection setup. I don't want to start a firestorm, but electronic fuel injection (especially that of 1990s vehicles) is very simple to understand, and the computers can be professionally programmed to eliminate the hassle of pollution control and other nonessential processes.
Depending on what year your donor CV is, it may have the standard SBF bellhousing pattern so you'd be able to mate it up to a T5, Toploader or whatever you want, although I would stick with a real truck transmission or a Toploader if I planned on towing or hauling anything.
If it is a later CV, it will have the MOD motor bell pattern meaning you could use any MOD truck transmission or even a T45.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by japedo
THats alot of great info there. THe 4.6 would be the most affordable and probably practical choice for me. For aprox 1000$ I could get the edelbrock carb conversion kit, and a set of second hand PI heads for my old 2V. Then I would just need a carb and I would technically have a decent setup.
Do they make an intake for the 4V heads?

A nice smooth shifting manual tranny would be nice as well. Although I believe the old C4 I have would bolt to the mod as well.

Time will tell, but the 4.6 sounds like an interesting unit carbed.

thanks again for the input, I really wasn't aware that there was a carb intake manifold for the 4.6 untill today. shows how much I know. lol

Japedo
Yes they make a carb/efi intake for both 2 and 4v mods.

Originally Posted by 66crawler
Why not just use the 4 cam motor and leave it efi? 280-300hp and 25mpg stock, then you can use the money you saved not putting a carb on it and get a twin turbo kit and make a conservative 500+hp.
you can do a turbo or s/c with a carb as well....

Originally Posted by bluestang65
Don't be so intimidated by the fuel injection setup. I don't want to start a firestorm, but electronic fuel injection (especially that of 1990s vehicles) is very simple to understand, and the computers can be professionally programmed to eliminate the hassle of pollution control and other nonessential processes.
Depending on what year your donor CV is, it may have the standard SBF bellhousing pattern so you'd be able to mate it up to a T5, Toploader or whatever you want, although I would stick with a real truck transmission or a Toploader if I planned on towing or hauling anything.
If it is a later CV, it will have the MOD motor bell pattern meaning you could use any MOD truck transmission or even a T45.
Its not really about understanding how EFI works or doesnt work. I will give EFI all the props for good mpgs....however a properly tuned carb can get good mpgs as well.....we can make this go on forever! I think in the OPs point of view for him as most these days is how much will this or that cost.....and we must face it that EFI is/can be very costly to do. More so when he starts adding mods to it. He will need bigger injectors and MAF and T-body etc. and all that is added costs. Ok so yes he can use the CV ECU and harness but hes going to spend alot of time fishing out things he doesnt need in the harness.

As for a tranny if he goes with a mod motor he will need a T-45 if he wants a 5 speed. Truck trannys are just that made for pulling and no performance....And if I was to do a mod motor with a 5 speed I would do a T-45 or T-56.....as for toploaders they are old school and out of date! there is far better choices out there then a toploader. Just sayin.

Quick Reply: Japedo's 66 build...