Sponsored by: Moser

Any flatbed dents out there?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
mudrunner4ever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandynr
Question for you 2... Does it feel as if the front end and rear end are not working together properly? I have a problem with my truck where it seems as if the rear end is slipping out from under the truck at certain times, and I'm wondering if maybe my flatbed isn't too light.
I can not give you a answer to that just yet. I'm in the process of building mine now.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:46 PM
gus11208
Senior User
Yeah its more than a rough ride when i drive on my wonderful pa roads every time you hit a bump it has a ridged bouncing effect in the rear. I have a F150 4" lift quad shock front end and the rear has 3/4 ton springs with 3 leafs added im thinking thats my problem the light flat bed doesn't help.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
one easy way to find out. put a couple hundred lbs on it and see if it rides better. and why bother? you know it will...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
scott78f2504x4
Senior User
Nice ideas for the flatbed I want to build. Like the idea of the hoist on the back for lifting engines and such

Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User

Here's my wood one. It was about 100 bucks for the lumber and a couple more for varnish. Looked really nice newly varnished, but never kept up on it. I created a lip around the perimeter to keep things from sliding around. It never squeaks and I load my snowmachines up onto it often. It measures 7 wide by 8 long. I would like a nice aluminum one though with an auxiliary tank/toolbox and nice headache rack though.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yeah I really like yours but I'd want a headache rack. mine has one hell of a headache rack and I love that about it.

as for varnish, a friend of mine just coats his in motor oil. it works but it stinks.

Thompson's wood seal, like for wood decks, works pretty good, smells kinda ok, and doesn't rub off on whatever you carry. I use it on my trailer.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Big_Dom
Senior User
Originally Posted by Flat 'n Fat
Here's mine so far:

and:
dude, im diggin your bed. it looks amazing.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM
coz
Junior User
Heres my attemt at a flat bed. Took some scrap steel 2x4`s (not steel studs) made a frame. Welded on some gussets and stake pockets.Need to build a headache rack and finish off the rear.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM
merccougar93
Senior User
Here is what mine looks like- it used to be a u-haul, but the box wax cut off and all thats left is the aluminum bottom-I wish it still had the dolly ramp on it still.

You can notice the other brown 78 dentside in the background with the hood up, and a white 74 a little further back to the right-just to the left of the washing machine

Last edited by merccougar93; 08-31-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: forgot to input picture
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Not sure if this pic will come up or not (my first time posting a picture). Here's my '79 F350 4X4 Supercab Lariat. I've only had it for a few days now. This pic was taken right after I got home with it, before I had unloaded the the stuff the seller gave me (including the original 400M that is under the plastic wrap). That's my neighbor's dog in the foreground. I bet he's saying to himself, "That's a really nice truck. As soon as Andy looks the other way, I'm gonna go lift my leg on one of his nice shiny wheels, then I'm going to take a dump right under the driver's door."
The previous owner has a business outfitting fire trucks. He built this truck to look like a fire truck to advertise his business. When I first saw the ad, I figured I'd eventually get rid of the flat bed and put an original bed on it, but I've really grown to like the flat bed, so I'm going to keep it. I really like all the diamond-plate storage boxes. The truck had 81,000 original miles on it when I bought it. I just drove it home from Oklahoma to Seattle a few days ago. It still has the original seat upholstery, carpet, door panels, and headliner. The interior is in amazing shape, considering the truck is 31 years old! This truck is loaded with just about every factory option available: dual tanks, dual batteries, cruise, pop-out side windows, limited slip rear, passenger's side lighted vanity mirror, CB, etc. The truck originally had a sliding rear window, but the previous owner took it out and replaced it with a solid window.
Andy

Last edited by NorthwestX360; 08-31-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: fixed the picture sizing, I'm new at this
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I just set up a Photobucket account. Bear with me while I learn the ins and outs of posting pictures.
Here are two other pictures I took at sunrise near Moab, Utah, on my way home with the truck. The seller loaded me up with parts. All the aluminum boxes were full of stuff, too.
Andy

Last edited by NorthwestX360; 08-31-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: re-sized the pictures
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
merccougar93
Senior User
Thats a nice ride you have there Andy, good buy!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM
mudrunner4ever
Senior User
Originally Posted by coz
Heres my attemt at a flat bed. Took some scrap steel 2x4`s (not steel studs) made a frame. Welded on some gussets and stake pockets.Need to build a headache rack and finish off the rear.

Very similar to what mine is turning out like. Hopefully i'll have it done in a few weeks then I can jump on getting my mild built 460 in

Originally Posted by NorthwestX360
Not sure if this pic will come up or not (my first time posting a picture). Here's my '79 F350 4X4 Supercab Lariat. I've only had it for a few days now. This pic was taken right after I got home with it, before I had unloaded the the stuff the seller gave me (including the original 400M that is under the plastic wrap). That's my neighbor's dog in the foreground. I bet he's saying to himself, "That's a really nice truck. As soon as Andy looks the other way, I'm gonna go lift my leg on one of his nice shiny wheels, then I'm going to take a dump right under the driver's door."
The previous owner has a business outfitting fire trucks. He built this truck to look like a fire truck to advertise his business. When I first saw the ad, I figured I'd eventually get rid of the flat bed and put an original bed on it, but I've really grown to like the flat bed, so I'm going to keep it. I really like all the diamond-plate storage boxes. The truck had 81,000 original miles on it when I bought it. I just drove it home from Oklahoma to Seattle a few days ago. It still has the original seat upholstery, carpet, door panels, and headliner. The interior is in amazing shape, considering the truck is 31 years old! This truck is loaded with just about every factory option available: dual tanks, dual batteries, cruise, pop-out side windows, limited slip rear, passenger's side lighted vanity mirror, CB, etc. The truck originally had a sliding rear window, but the previous owner took it out and replaced it with a solid window.
Andy
That is one CLEAN rig there. Nice score!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
That is a rig! And its like brand new too!...lot of time and money in that one! Very nice buy! Nice flat bed too, lots of options and still functional as a flat bed.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that truck is gorgeous Andy. Good score!

Quick Reply: Any flatbed dents out there?!