Sponsored by:

one season old tires, can I stud them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:11 AM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of 33" tires that I use for winter travel and I just decided that I want to get them studded. I have called around and no one will do it becase they say that once the tires have been driven they can no longer be studded. Is this true? they also said that the reason is because they will through the studs, and if there is even a slight amount of dirt in the hole where the studs go, they can ruin your tire. My Tires maybe have 5,000 miles on them. Can I stud them myself? If so is there any kits you recommend? Or do you guys know of anywhere that will stud them?

Thanks!

Ryan

Old 02-16-2003, 11:02 AM
RyanGruhn
Senior User

My tires have little wholes where the studs go on each nub, would it be ok to put shallow hex bolts in those holes in place of studs? Or would I hurt the tire in some way? I was thinking, the tred is about 1" off of the base of the tire, so if I get 1/8" hex bolts I will not have to worry about hurting the tire, right? let me know guys!!!

Ryan

Old 02-16-2003, 11:11 AM
DeKuma
Senior User

I am not sure if I would trust the hex bolts, although we used to do it for our dirt bike ***** when racing winter enduros. I think that it would not be that great on a high speed truck application, but then again, I am unsure.

In regards to studding the tires as originally intended, I have heard the same as you. If the tires have been driven, the material stretches with the build-up of heat. This causes the stud holes to become distorted and worn. This will not allow for a proper seat of the stud. Also, any foreign material in the stud hole will also cause an incorrect stud seat.

I cannot be positive that this is fact or fiction, since I have no real experience in the matter, but this is the technical logic behind the shops refusal to do this for you.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:33 AM
RyanGruhn
Senior User

Thanks!
I am thinking about trying the hext bolt idea, i figure if I get a hext bolt with a big enough base (built in washer) I will not have to worry about it getting pushed into the tire and hurting the inner wall. The worst that could happen is that I would lose a .06 cent hext bolt. Let me know if anyone else out there would vote against this idea. My truck is awsome getting going on snow or ice, its just stopping....I just slide right past where I wanted to stop (in fWD). Where I am in PA the roads are sheets of ice after it gets cold enough and on top of that there is usually snow, I figure its better to save my @$$ from dieing then to lose a couple .06 cent bolts. Please, PLEASE if you guys think this is a bad idea let me know.

Thanks!

Ryan

Old 02-16-2003, 03:01 PM
tellico racing
Posting Guru

I think the worst that could happen is your .06 cent bolt flying through someones window at 60mph seriously injuring them. Also state laws vary on stud use, in michigan they are illegal. Not sure about PA .

We get lots of snow and ice here, you have to slow down way sooner to keep from sliding past your turn. Especially at intersections where everybody has been sliding to a stop and spinning to take off.

Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User

They are legal in PA. Are there anything about a normal stud that makes them stay in better then if I were to use a bolt? If so anyone know where I can get em?

Ryan

Old 02-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Tahoe1990EB
Freshman User

Just something to think about, and possibly would like comments from anybody with experience....

How about getting your tires "siped"? I also have a set of extra tires that I would like to convert to winter tires. I've seen articles about siping (which they cut hundreds of "slits" into the tires perpendicular to the rotation direction). Studless winter tires such as Blizzacks and Arctic Alpen's use this.

I'm not sure if you were interested, if not, sorry to change the subject.

Old 02-17-2003, 10:19 AM
DeKuma
Senior User

WHile in some instances, siping can increase the wear on your tire, I have had it done to all of my tires. Living here in Washington, with all the rain we get, it is the best way to go. The traction increase, to me, is worth the little extra wear.
Overall, siping the tires is a far better, and legal, option that would help a great deal.

If you throw a bolt, you could seriously endanger another motorist. In this sue happy world we live in, you can bet when you do, you will suffer greatly. I would strongly suggest that you opt for a different solution.

On our race bikes, it was of little concern, since you threw rocks at your competion anyway. It was a totally different environment and set of "laws".

Old 02-17-2003, 10:34 AM
RyanGruhn
Senior User

So why do studs stay in any better? What if I got bolts that were a slight be bigger then the hole, would that work since the hold would be tighter?

Ryan

Old 02-17-2003, 12:49 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granted I'm no tire expert. But I believe that the studs would stay in better, because the manufacturing of the specific tires that do have studs in them are built into the tires to prevent the very thing a few people have mentioned already, those studs or bolts being thrown out at high speeds and hitting someone or thing, and causing damage, injury or (God forbid) death. These studed tires are specificly manufactured for the snow and ice.
Hope this helps

Old 02-17-2003, 02:49 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User

Mine are also made for studs, they have the holes in each tread block and when I got them the tire people asked if I wanted them studded and I passed (it was summer then). Does that make a difference that they were made for studs?

Ryan