1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration! Help Identify It!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vibration! Help Identify It!

Just got back from a 650 mile trip today. With about 50 miles to go I started to get a pretty strong vibration on my truck. It seems to be worse when I accelerate (especially from a stop to about 30 MPH) and then evens out a bit, but is still there. I've always had a very slight vibration from the large tires, but this is much worse. Where do I start to look? Last time I had my truck apart my buddy said my left rear wheel bearing wasn't looking too good. Could that cause this? I'm exhausted from this wonderful day where I drove 650 miles since 7AM FOR NO REASON, so I'm going to bed and I'll have to try to figure this out tomorrow.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Do you feel it in the steering wheel or in the seat of the truck?

Do you notice any vibration or shudder when you start from a dead stop?

My first guess is this is a tire balance issue and balancing beads will solve it, but I could be wrong.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
I feel it in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. I do notice it when I start from a dead stop. It seems to be worse when I start from a dead stop.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 AM
Phone_girl_NE
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first thought would be u-joints, but could be you lost a wheel weight.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phone_girl_NE
My first thought would be u-joints, but could be you lost a wheel weight.
I am also suspicious of the u-joints...

What do you mean it happens worse when you accelerate? Do you feel the vibration from 0-5mph (if so, then probably not a wheel weight)? Does the vibration change with engine RPM or with speed? What kind of vibration? like you are going over a rumble strip or is it lower frequency? Any worse when turning?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 AM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would suspect u-joints or wheel bearings if most prevalent from stop to 30 mph.

Tire issue would typically be felt more at higher speeds.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
OK, so I'm in a better mood today and did some investigating! I checked the torque on all the lug nuts and they were fine. Also checked all the wheel weights on the inside of the wheels to see if any looked like they had fallen off and they had not. I think I'd be able to notice an difference in the brake dust. I feel a strong vibration (its hard to explain, its like the steering wheel shakes front to back, like going over rumble strips) mostly from 0-30 MPH. Once over 30 or so I can still feel it, but its not as violent. Going 75 down the highway I can hardly feel it. It seems to get worse with more RPMs or when I'm turning, but I could just be losing my mind. So, U-Joints you say? How would I be able to check those and what is it going to cost to get them fixed? My two favorite questions!! Also, how safe is it to keep driving (like just for the weekend) or is this something I should get done now? I'm sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to these things. All your help is appreciated guys!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:58 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Huh, interesting.

Reach up under the front tire and try to turn the u-joint by hand (make sure your hubs are NOT locked) Can you turn them (both sides)? Do they turn smoothly? This is checking for binding in the front u-joints.

Lift one of the front tires at a time about 1" off the ground. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and try to wrench it back and forth (like you are trying to turn the truck left and right) do you have any play? This is checking for bad wheel bearings. While you have the tire lifted, try lifting the tire by prying under it with a long bar (any play indicates worn ball joints)

I am a bit concerned that your hub needle bearings (the ones that hold your front axle stub) have dried up and siezed to the axle, thus turning the u-joint which is binding (two problems working together). If that is the problem, eventually those needle bearings will wittle your axle stub down to an hour glass shape, and you will need to replace it.

Pull the locking hubs out and check for excessive metal shavings...

If none of these things are your problem, hopefully someone smarter will come along.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Thanks for the help GunnerDog. I'll give those all a check out tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 AM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
you should be able to spin those front u-joints by hand even with the tires turned to one side...

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
criticaleye
New User
Truck shakes at 70mph or higher

My 2000 F250 Crew Cab Lariat begins shaking (more in the seat) at about 70mph plus. The tires were roatated a while ago by the previous owner and he said that this was the cause of the shaking. Is that so and if it is will it eventually even out or should I attempt to get new tires? The ones on now have about half the tread left. I appreciate your help!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Originally Posted by criticaleye
My 2000 F250 Crew Cab Lariat begins shaking (more in the seat) at about 70mph plus. The tires were roatated a while ago by the previous owner and he said that this was the cause of the shaking. Is that so and if it is will it eventually even out or should I attempt to get new tires? The ones on now have about half the tread left. I appreciate your help!
criticaleye, it would be better to go ahead and start your own thread for your topic instead of hijacking cdrmotorsports thread. It sounds like you have a different problem, and you will get more responces that way. Just make sure you post a descriptive title.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
criticaleye
New User
Originally Posted by GUNNERDOG
criticaleye, it would be better to go ahead and start your own thread for your topic instead of hijacking cdrmotorsports thread. It sounds like you have a different problem, and you will get more responces that way. Just make sure you post a descriptive title.
will do I apologize did not realize I was hijacking a thread, new to the site I thought if you were having the same issues you just post inside a "like" topic. sorry for the trouble.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
will do I apologize did not realize I was hijacking a thread, new to the site I thought if you were having the same issues you just post inside a "like" topic. sorry for the trouble.
No trouble at all! Welcome to the site!

As for my truck, I haven't had a second to even look at it yet. My buddy who is a mechanic will be taking a look at it on Monday if I don't get to it sooner. I'm gone for the weekend, so hopefully time will fly by.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
sorry man, i was in a hurry when i posted, didn't mean to make it sound so harsh... What i meant was that you will get more help if you post your own thread. (BTW, it sounds like you need to have your tires balanced.)

Quick Reply: Vibration! Help Identify It!