1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 11:00 AM
DoranD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust

Just need some suggestions on installing a dual exhaust system for a 86 Bronco. I have already lined up (not purchased yet) some FlowTech shorty headers from Jegs. I have not seen so far an exhaust kit (dual) for the Bronco. Oh yeah whats the best diameter pipe for this size: 5.8L 351W. Or should I just stick with the single exhaust.
Appreciate any and all sugestions. So far all my questions get answered just searching thru the site. This is the best!!!

Old 02-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Exhaust

If you have inspections, you need to keep the catalytic convertor in place. This means single exhaust, although you could get an oversize convertor and pipe made up. If it's ok to run duals, you still need to run both pipes over to the passenger side to avoid the transfer case and such, unless you want the exhaust to hang down real low where you can see it under the truck.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:57 PM
DoranD
New User
Arrow Exhaust

Yeah I was looking over the manual again. This thing has 2 cats running on the same pipe to the muffler with the fresh air line to only one of the cats does it really need this. Seems like a little over kill to me. My only other question is what size pipe. Should I go larger in diameter. Stock looks to be 2 1/4".

Old 02-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Exhaust

The catalytic convertors are part of the emissions system and although they can be taken off, it's technically illegal and you will have to have them on there if you have inspections. Some people don't have inspections, so they take them off anyway.

Pipe depends on lots of different factors. I think 2 1/4" duals are plenty big for a mild motor, and 3 inch would be good for a single exhaust system.

Old 02-15-2003, 08:41 PM
DoranD
New User
Exhaust

I did some looking around and came up with the same thing. I do want to keep the cat. But I will opt for an over sized one. The hard part has been trying to find a "single" exhaust system that will fit my year Bronco. Duals seem to be easier to get, of course with out the catalytic converters. I have been to JEGS website and they list the Flow master for trucks, but from 87 on up to 95. I don't know how much difference there is between an 86 and 87 Bronco. Spending more on this than I would like, and I still need new tires and shocks, oh yeah and a new chip. My truck is eating my tax refund away. just finshed with upgrading the ignition to MSD.
I do thank you for your time and help though. Much appreciated!!