1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 f250 abs light, check brakes fault, speedo dont work!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM
sonicsaleen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone help me out. I was hauling a car the other day and all of a sudden all these lights and faults came on then my speedo quit working and also the odo dont calculate mileage. I changed the speed sensor at the top of the rear end and still nothing.

Cruise control also dont work.. uhhhh.

any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
any codes? go to autozone, they will read the obd port free..

Sam

Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
sonicsaleen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no check engine light

Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
doesn't mean anything.. clearly there is a problem!..
doubt it is a fuse.. did you check those?

Sam

Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Just because there is no check engine light doesn't mean there isn't any codes. However, the codes you want are probably in the ABS module. Very few code readers will read those. It'd have to be a Ford specific one that reads all modules. The dealership, or possibly a brake shop, or if you know someone with something like AutoEnginuity.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
achesos
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same Issue

I've got the same described problem after going through a puddle. ABS light on, speedo inoperative after next key off/on cycle. No OBD2 codes, and ABS light won't self-clear.
Sensor on top of differential appears to be ABS, since the Veh Speed sensor is on transmission.
I'm confused, but was sad to hear replacing sensor on rear differential did not solve your problem either. I might try the VSS unless somebody can give us a better solution?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
There are sensors on each wheel that are for the ABS system. They are interconnected to the VSS on the back axle. Check to see if any of them are loose or have frayed wires.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
achesos
Trailering
Yep - I figured that there should be sensors on each wheel, but on my 2005 F250CC 4x4, the only lines I can find to each rear wheel are either the cable for the parking brake or the hydraulic line to the caliper. I'm under the impression that I'm not a complete idiot (but proven wrong once in while by my wife), and since I found them on the front, I'm pretty sure there aren't any on the rear for this model year. I've heard second hand that the Vss is on the trans and not the rear diff.
I certainly appreciate your input, but it does not seem to relate to this vehicle unless I'm just not seeing what I should be seeing. I had begun to suspect that the ABS light and the speedo were unrelated and just a coincidence until I found this thread...

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

All of the Super Duties (from '99 and up) have ABS. It is "3 channel ABS", in that there are three sensors. One on each front wheel, and one on the differential for both rear wheels. There are not speed sensors on each rear wheel separately.

The rear speed sensor (called the Vehicle Speed Sensor or VSS) connects to the ABS module for ABS operation. The information is also sent to the PCM for determining transmission shift strategy and for the cruise control operations on diesels, to the cruise control module on gassers, and to the HEC (instrument cluster) to operate the speedometer.

There is no speed sensor (to my knowledge) on the transmission itself.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 AM
achesos
Trailering
Sounds like Sonicsaleen tried replacing his sensor on the rear diff (like I was planning on doing too) but this apparently has not corrected his situation, so I tend to think it might not correct mine either.
Does anyone have a better solution?
Will the ABS light go off once the sensor is replaced and the speedo works again?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Without having codes it's harder to give any accurate diagnoses. However, generally when the speedometer quits working and the ABS light comes on, it's a problem with the VSS. I believe there have been reported problems with the VSS wiring as well.

If the problem causing the ABS light to come on is corrected, then it will go off. But it might take a few drive cycles.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 PM
achesos
Trailering
What next?

I hate to take it to a dealer, so I tried a local shop that could read ABS codes, but his device did not specify which sensor it was.

So I gambled and replaced the sensor on the pumpkin - no success.
Then I placed a bet on the sensor on the top left side of the transmission.
Still no speedo, and the light is still on.
I noted to check fluid level, but that can't fix the speedo, so I'm thinking cables. Which ones have been the problem for the possible recall?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicsaleen
Check the wiring to the VSS (sensor you replaced on the rear differential). I don't think the ABS problems will cause the speedo to not work but a VSS fault will screw up the speedo and the ABS system.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Batteries...did we check them? Have them load tested? Don't know if it is a PSD or gas but I know on the diesels batteries that are getting weak do some wierd things.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
VSS sensor either borked or the wiring to it most likely...

Quick Reply: 08 f250 abs light, check brakes fault, speedo dont work!!!!!!!!!!!