1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Shock Installation - Boot up or Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bilstein Shock Installation - Boot up or Down

Again with my quest for information about new shocks. I did quite a bit of searching on this forum and it seems to be the consensus that Bilstein shocks should be mounted with the boot down. However, I can't find any "official" confirmation of this, and the closest thing I found is this:

Do I mount the shocks with the boot pointing up or down?
With the internal design of the Bilstein monotube gas shocks, it does not matter whether the shocks are mounted with the shock rod side up or down. There are some minor advantages in longevity and overall suspension effectiveness with the shock rod pointed down, and there are many instances where Bilstein has changed the orientation to take advantage of these minor improvements where there are no clearance problems. If there is an option, we recommend mounting the shock with the shock rod and boot pointing down, but in the grand scheme of things, there is no noticeable difference.
FAQ

Just thought I would pass it along...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I don't know if it applies to all years/configurations, but with mine, I had no choice. The top and bottom mounts were different, so the shocks would only go one way. This was true with the front and the rear.

I don't remember right off which way the boots went, though.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I don't know if it applies to all years/configurations, but with mine, I had no choice. The top and bottom mounts were different, so the shocks would only go one way. This was true with the front and the rear.
Yea, the only reason I was checking is because the OEM shocks on our Superdutys (mine at least) are installed with the shock rods (& boots) up. Also, it's clear that these style boots are designed to be installed on the top only:

Amazon.com: Bilstein BE5C296H0 Rear Shock Absorber for Ford F250/350: Automotive

Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Moose
Yea, the only reason I was checking is because the OEM shocks on our Superdutys (mine at least) are installed with the shock rods (& boots) up. Also, it's clear that these style boots are designed to be installed on the top only:

Amazon.com: Bilstein BE5C296H0 Rear Shock Absorber for Ford F250/350: Automotive
Huh?

My 5125's are boot down.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickf92592
Huh?

My 5125's are boot down.
Different style of boot.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 AM
dougc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grumpy--it depends on the year of your truck whether you can have boot up or down. I had a 2004 and it was different than my 2005--I think it has to do with clearance for the leaf springs vs. coils. Bilstein customer service say install so you can read the sticker right-side up. Anyway, the 2005 has the boot/rod up in the front...I think down in back--it's too late to go check.

What year is your truck? (edit: 2001--saw it in your profile)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2000 has the boot down. Interesting that it doesn't matter. The answer given by Bilstein resembles an answer a politician would give.. heh.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Originally Posted by dougc
Grumpy--it depends on the year of your truck whether you can have boot up or down. I had a 2004 and it was different than my 2005--I think it has to do with clearance for the leaf springs vs. coils. Bilstein customer service say install so you can read the sticker right-side up. Anyway, the 2005 has the boot/rod up in the front...I think down in back--it's too late to go check.

What year is your truck? (edit: 2001--saw it in your profile)
That's the point I'm trying to make though. Yes, the shocks supplied with the expanding-bellows type boots, the ones that are sealed to the shock body with a zip-tie, can be mounted in either orientation. The other style boot though, the open ended one is a different story. If thosew are mounted down, they will simply behave like a cup and fill up with water, rocks, dirt whatever. Even if the shock body can be mountied either way, mounting that type of boot wrong could do more harm than good.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Moose
That's the point I'm trying to make though. Yes, the shocks supplied with the expanding-bellows type boots, the ones that are sealed to the shock body with a zip-tie, can be mounted in either orientation. The other style boot though, the open ended one is a different story. If thosew are mounted down, they will simply behave like a cup and fill up with water, rocks, dirt whatever. Even if the shock body can be mountied either way, mounting that type of boot wrong could do more harm than good.
I'd be very surprised if you didn't find 'weep' holes on the rod-end of those boots to allow expanding air and water to escape.
I've never seen a sealed boot as they would just blow off the first time the shock compressed.
I've been racing and running Bilsteins since 1978.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When I put them on my 97 Super Duty, I mounted them so I could read Bilstein on the shocks without having to stand on my head. On this truck, the front shocks have the boots up, the rear have the boots down.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 PM
dougc
Senior User
I'm sorry--it was late and I forgot to state the holes are also on the bottom to let water out. I think you might be confused--the boots are not sealed...they are ziptied on. Also, Bilstein designed the shocks--put them on how every you want, but, don't complain if you put them on upside down and they don't work the way you think they should.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When I installed mine I read the same thing as the OP posted on Bilstein's web site so I took their advice and mounted them boot down on all four corners.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
Just FYI, I have a 2009 F250 4X4 CC LB V10, I have the off road package which comes with the Rancho shocks. They are mounted boot up front and rear.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seeing as the OP didn't mention which year, they are year specific as mentioned.
All front coil 05 and up trucks can only be installed in one manner. Rod/Boot up as these shocks have the threaded stud at the top and single eye bolt at the bottom and obviously can only be mounted in this manner.

The rears are also mounted rod/boot up (per Bilstein instruction) although these have eye bolts at both ends.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 PM
luv2wire
New User
Installation only one way

I just installed the Bilstein 5100 in my 4x4 2004 f250 lariat. These shocks only install one way b/c the bottom mount has a sleeve and the top has only a rubber bushing. So I can only mount them one way, the boot down. When I tried to install it the other way the end w/ the sleeve wouldn’t fit the top bolt. Hope this helps someone

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shock Installation - Boot up or Down