6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

rotella ELC in my 6.0l?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Speedjester
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would VC8 raise nitrate labels?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedjester
Would VC8 raise nitrate labels?
If you are thinking of using pure OAT elc coolant, it does not contain nitrites. It uses carboxylic acids and dibasic acids for cavitation control. do not add nitrites.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,746 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitrous
If you are thinking of using pure OAT elc coolant, it does not contain nitrites. It uses carboxylic acids and dibasic acids for cavitation control. do not add nitrites.
+1 .

Old 08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which would render my previous statement, "use Fleetguard DCA-2" as an error.

Use Fleetguard DCA-4. IF! you need any adjustment.

-blaine

Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Something else to note about "industrial" coolant usage.

%-glycol is relevant only as an indication of freeze point, and is used to adjust that. There's nothing special about ethylene glycol except as a freeze-point additive; it has no significant relation to boil-over protection, as that's controlled by system pressure.

Take home: Don't have a coronary over %-glycol, especially if you're in a climate where the temperature rarely drops below 0 degrees F. 60/40, 70/30, etc will be fine. (I know how some of ya'll like to obsess over this stuff... )

Indeed, many companies in the south and southwest (and other parts of the world, where freezing temps are never reached), OEM's approve water-only cooling systems as long as nitrite/nitrate SCA chemistry is maintained.

-blaine

Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM
PSD2005
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker

Take home: Don't have a coronary over %-glycol, especially if you're in a climate where the temperature rarely drops below 0 degrees F. 60/40, 70/30, etc will be fine. maintained.

-blaine

I live in Florida....... 60/40 help me out here 60 is that the coolant or is that the water? or do i need 70/30.Because i can find 50/50 Rotella ELC with no problems. WE rarely see temps lower then 25 degs THANKS

Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
It's either way, although more water/less coolant is less problematic.

The point is that getting out the postal scale and measuring concentrated coolant down to the milliliter is probably a waste of time....

If, after a flush/fill and run-in, if you're a quart low, you need not get picky about mixing concentrate, if that's what you're using (premixed? fill and go.). Filling with distilled water alone will be fine.

-blaine

Old 08-11-2010, 05:35 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
There's nothing special about ethylene glycol ... it has no significant relation to boil-over protection, as that's controlled by system pressure.
Are you saying the coolant does not increase the boiling point? If so, I would ask to see some documentation on that. Or are you saying that it does increase boiling point, but that it doesn't matter? I don't accept it either way, just wondering.

I do agree with your main point, that ±10% is not a huge issue.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
just to add to this ford has a replenisment chemical. Man I wish I knew what the p/n# was.
I know its a vc-?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
I believe it is VC-8.

VC-7 = coolant
VC-8 = nitrite replenishment
VC-9 = iron cleaner

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
After doing a little research, it appears that the coolant used in the new 6.7 liter diesel (specialty orange) is identical to Texaco elc according to the msds spec sheet. It's interesting that Ford chose to stop using premium gold and moved in the direction all the big diesel manufacturers are moving. It almost sound like and admission that premium gold was not the best fluid.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,455 Likes on 899 Posts
After doing a little research, it appears that the coolant used in the new 6.7 liter diesel (specialty orange) is identical to Texaco elc according to the msds spec sheet. It's interesting that Ford chose to stop using premium gold and moved in the direction all the big diesel manufacturers are moving. It almost sound like and admission that premium gold was not the best fluid.
And guess what... It's also used in the new fiesta! Does that make the Ford elc a subpar coolant for our diesels? Not at all!

The bottom line is: Does Ford say their new orange coolant is downward compatible! Subscribing...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
we ford rerelased the cougar in the small compact market here in the states they also used the oat based orange coolant that is now in the 6.7

Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
And guess what... It's also used in the new fiesta! Does that make the Ford elc a subpar coolant for our diesels? Not at all!

The bottom line is: Does Ford say their new orange coolant downward compatible! Subscribing...

I'm thinking the reason for the change is silicate dropout. Fiesta or not, they chose not to continue using their own premium gold ( that is used in no other diesel I know of) and chose to use another of their coolants that IS used in many diesels.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bpounds
Are you saying the coolant does not increase the boiling point? If so, I would ask to see some documentation on that. Or are you saying that it does increase boiling point, but that it doesn't matter? I don't accept it either way, just wondering.

I do agree with your main point, that ±10% is not a huge issue.
Here's an interesting link I found:

Engine & fuel engineering - Anti-Freeze Question

The actual tables are about halfway down.

The gist here is that Ethylene Glycol DOES increase boiling temps. But only slightly. One table in the thread shows an 8-degree C (100 to 108*c) increase in boiling point, at atmospheric pressure. Another table shows a boiling point of 265 or so degrees at 15PSIG.

HOWEVER!

A pressure cap does the same thing. Pressure alone will bring the boiling point of 100% water up to about 260-270, given a 15-lb pressure cap. Thus the effectiveness (and approval) of water-only cooling systems if freezing temps are not an issue.

So both can be said to be true; however, it's sort of hard to wrap your mind around at first.

And thus my statement that EG does not effectively work for increasing the boiling point; only for reducing the freeze point.

There's some reference to using EG as a water pump lubricant and corrosion inhibitor, but the same paragraph indicates that EG is not the ONLY way to perform these functions.

-blaine

Quick Reply: rotella ELC in my 6.0l?