Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   rotella ELC in my 6.0l? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/981120-rotella-elc-in-my-6-0l.html)

PSD2005 08-08-2010 02:38 PM

rotella ELC in my 6.0l?

I just ran out of my warranty like 5 day's ago,and i've herd that out ford gold could be are week point in our cooling system. I have a coolant filter already,and i'm thinking of trying rotella ELC.I was wording if any of you all have try it or are still use it and if so how is it working out so far. THANKS

lakewood 08-08-2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PSD2005 (Post 9196689)
I just ran out of my warranty like 5 day's ago,and i've herd that out ford gold could be are week point in our cooling system. I have a coolant filter already,and i'm thinking of trying rotella ELC.I was wording if any of you all have try it or are still use it and if so how is it working out so far. THANKS

Ford Gold coolant is the strong point of the cooling system, the weak point is the casting sand and debries, so still with the Gold coolant and your coolant filter, you should be good.

solaratomic 08-08-2010 05:49 PM

It really depends on who you talk to. Some guys have switched after warranty and now swear by it. Ohters wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I myself plan on switching. But it's really your call. I would recommend using the search feature and reading reports of others.

69cj 08-08-2010 05:52 PM

And I heard the way to go was Texaco elc if that makes a diff.

djanzen 08-08-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9196854)
Ford Gold coolant is the strong point of the cooling system, the weak point is the casting sand and debries, so still with the Gold coolant and your coolant filter, you should be good.

Actually Ford gold does not meet the BM1 standard that IH uses for there coolant.

djanzen 08-08-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 9197242)

Texaco makes about 75% of the ELC on the market today, it is just re branded to other company jugs.
And yes it is the way to go!!

Nitrous 08-08-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9196854)

Can you provide any proof of this claim? Why is it the strong point? Can you provide evidence of why the same coolant that is in the 4 cylinder Ford Focus should be in a Powerstroke diesel? Could it be that Ford gold coolant is sold at the Ford dealership? Why does Navistar use Texaco ELC coolant in this motor? Navistar designed this motor so I think maybe the coolant they use ( and don't make any money from) is the way to go. The sand and gel that is found in the coolant filters may be attributable to precipitate dropout and not necessarily just casting sand.

lakewood 08-08-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nitrous (Post 9197479)
Can you provide any proof of this claim? Why is it the strong point? Can you provide evidence of why the same coolant that is in the 4 cylinder Ford Focus should be in a Powerstroke diesel? Could it be that Ford gold coolant is sold at the Ford dealership? Why does Navistar use Texaco ELC coolant in this motor? Navistar designed this motor so I think maybe the coolant they use ( and don't make any money from) is the way to go. The sand and gel that is found in the coolant filters may be attributable to precipitate dropout and not necessarily just casting sand.

Im not a scientist, so technically no, i've always been told to run gold coolant so i will, it would be nice if someone had a comparison to Ford gold and texaco elc or whatever else. Ill stick with the Ford gold for now, unless i see proof of other brands working better.

I didnt know navistar used Texaco elc, sorry for being a coolant noob

CAMPINGTOM 08-09-2010 06:49 AM

I'm keeping an eye on the gold coolant that's been in my truck for 10k miles since the egr delete. Someone suggested that high temp in the egr cooler was causing the gold coolant to form precipitates, while the elc coolant will not do that.

PSD2005 08-09-2010 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 9197242)

WOW.... did not now about Texaco maybe i will try it.How long have you all been use it?Also the EGR delete was not in my idea,i when with the bullet proof EGR.

bismic 08-09-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM (Post 9198860)
I'm keeping an eye on the gold coolant that's been in my truck for 10k miles since the egr delete. Someone suggested that high temp in the egr cooler was causing the gold coolant to form precipitates, while the elc coolant will not do that.

There is quite a good technical discussion on this at TDS. Much of it is theory and opinion, but that is where learning starts IMO. I have been a staunch advocate of OEM fluids, but I am seriously considering the ELC coolant when my warranty runs out. Until then, I will frequently check the nitrite levels and flush the coolant every 40k miles (every 2 years). I believe that the flushes and the coolant filter will keep my system healthy. I will say that I was one of the group that found a TON of solids when I first installed the coolant filter. I know that my oil cooler is partially plugged due to the first 15k miles, but I monitor it and it is not too bad.

PSD2005 08-09-2010 05:19 PM

Well having a hard time finding some,but i called International and he said that he had fleetrite but i thought he said it was EL1 50/50 not for sure tho.Fleetrite is the same as rotella is it?

bismic 08-09-2010 05:21 PM

yes it is.

lakewood 08-09-2010 06:38 PM

i was at international today, bought fleetrite for my 7.3, they didnt have the red concentrated only green..... i'd rather change it more often anyways

bismic 08-09-2010 06:45 PM

Just make sure it is coolant for diesel engines.