FTE Chapter Leader

Received 955 Likes on 690 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Old 09-16-2021, 12:21 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
New Kicks for the boy today, dropped me 3" too.....
My 12.5 - 33's are aging out @ almost 5 ears old, only have roughly 28,000 miles on them. I've got a 5 hour trip coming up, and another few hour trip later in the year towing the camper. So these will be the understudy for a bit.
I think I'd like to end up with another tire/rim in between the stock size, and the larger ones I have.

Why so much lift for only a 33" tire?

Old 09-16-2021, 04:09 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

Received 163 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
He skipped leg day

Old 09-16-2021, 05:05 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 344 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
Maybe he went to the same shop i did, i told them, 3 inches, 4 if it has to be, when i picked up the truck it is 6 and a half taller, they said, close as they could get it to what i wanted, and never bothered to call me to tell me 3-4 was not going to happen, probably because they didn't want to loose the job.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:49 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 255 Posts
Kind of, when I bought the truck it had a shade tree mechanic lift. Springs from a junkyard, and blocks in the rear, and spaced airbags. I was targeting another 4" lift which is where it appeared to be at. Everything I found spring wise at the time put me at approx 6" where it's at now. A few months after buying the truck, I rotated the Atturo tires that were on there, which were actually 35's, (I mis-spoke when I mentioned 33), that's when all hell broke loose. Within say 10 miles the Atturo's started bubbling, and separating, and were always noisy. Not wanting to go down the tire rabbit hole, I bought the GoodYear Wrangler Kevlar of the same size cause I needed tires yesterday at this point. Things were going well, I chose a super tire, but my new Wranglers after say 6 months were slowly starting to rub on the lower front black valance. Not making any sense why this was slowly happening, I finally studied the front suspension only to find that the front junkyard leafs were cracking, and therefore I was loosing support. I'm guessing the P/O chose a standard 250 truck spring from a gas engine truck. So I ripped everything out, and replaced the leafs front, and rear, a new adjustable track bar, and I think drop bracket too. Tossed the rear blocks, and airbag mess. After driving the truck to a campground 5 hours away for this past Labor Day, I'm really enjoying the stock tire size, and how it allows the truck to perform. I was always on the fence about re-gearing the rear end, and never felt convinced that I'd stay with the larger tires anyway. I also don't feel like spending $2,000.00 for the Wrangler tires every 5 years. Don't get me wrong, those tires are awesome, they took me to Lake Powell and back towing my SeaDoo, and were very smooth. So I'm looking at new rims, and a tire size somewhere in between the stock, and the Wrangler Kevlar tires, as I'm not touching the lift again.

The following 3 users liked this post by 01__Excursion:
Old 09-18-2021, 02:11 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,714 Likes on 642 Posts
I started using my EX as a daily driver last week after selling my '07 Tundra. The EX actually gets better mileage than the Tundra did.
So I cleaned the intake hoses that run from the air box to the turbo yesterday. There was a lot of greasy grime inside them. There's a plastic part that joins the two hoses that draws engine blowby from the driver's side valve cover into the turbo side. Most of the grime was from that part on to the turbo. It seemed like a lot of grime for only 107K miles. Anyway it's nice and clean now, inside and out. It might be a good piece of preventative maintenance to do.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-18-2021, 06:49 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Fixed another item today. My 2nd row seat on the driver's side had a issue with the seat track. It would not move forward and also wouldn't lock in place on the outboard side. Something was bent but couldn't figure it out. The passenger side worked fine. I got to lock in place but I quit after that. There were other things that needed to get done so I put it off until today. I spent some time comparing the passenger side mechanism with the driver side. I found the dog legs that activated the rods attached to the locks on the tracks were bent. I have no idea what could have bent them but they were both bent on each side. Either way I bent them back the way the were on the passenger side. It was a little tough to bend them back the right way but they work now. The tracks feel they could use some grease or lubrication but I could figure out where to apply it. Anyone have an idea or have had the problem I did with bent mechanisms?

The following 3 users liked this post by Kapusta:
Old 09-19-2021, 08:12 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 265 Likes on 170 Posts
Pulled the overhead computer out and sent it to Circuitboard Medics, it had gotten really dim.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Pulled the overhead computer out and sent it to Circuitboard Medics, it had gotten really dim.
How do i remove mine to do the same its so dim i can just barely read it when its totally dark in the truck, does the whole overhead panel have to come down or is it simpler than that, i tried to pull on mine a bit and it was not budging, and didnt have to time dig deeper as i was on the way to do some stuff...

Old 09-20-2021, 07:01 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,819 Likes on 2,677 Posts
I went to move my Ex so my wife could use the driveway to re-pot some plants (the things we do for love, huh?) and the old girl's (the Ex's) V10 barely turned over. Fortunately, there was enough power that the ignition fired and she started. But she wouldn't idle and died. 4 times. When she finally idled normally I took her for a drive to let the alternator do its thing and everything is fine now..

Between COVID, working from home, and an abbreviated fishing schedule this year she's just not getting driven enough. The battery is only a year old and the power drain was due to leaving the Sirius radio plugged in -- for 2 months.

But I'm smarter now!

Old 09-20-2021, 11:32 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
I went to move my Ex so my wife could use the driveway to re-pot some plants (the things we do for love, huh?) and the old girl's (the Ex's) V10 barely turned over. Fortunately, there was enough power that the ignition fired and she started. But she wouldn't idle and died. 4 times. When she finally idled normally I took her for a drive to let the alternator do its thing and everything is fine now..

Between COVID, working from home, and an abbreviated fishing schedule this year she's just not getting driven enough. The battery is only a year old and the power drain was due to leaving the Sirius radio plugged in -- for 2 months.

But I'm smarter now!
Big harbor freight solar panel solves that, my red 05 expedition 4x4 only gets driven about every 2-3 months when the rain and such dictates the need out here in the boonies, went thru several battery's and put in an optima, that did better but it still got drained pretty good, put on the 12 x 24 ish solar panel and plugged it into the cigarette lighter port, man now every time you hit the key even if it sat for 2 months, it turns over like a fire cracker. Solar panel is just sitting up on the roof rack, and if we drive it we just reach up and sit it into the back seat or into the cargo area, works great, doesnt sap power off a outlet endlessly, and doesn't marry the truck to be parked next to an outlet. And the truck has a full android head unit, and other residual draining crap inside, dvd player, etc. does just fine. Considering putting the panel on it permanently and hard wiring it. I was thinking to mount it facing up between the roof rack and the roof of the truck.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:46 AM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

Received 163 Likes on 106 Posts

But I'm smarter now!
Originally Posted by MasterX
Big harbor freight solar panel solves that, my red 05 expedition 4x4 only gets driven about every 2-3 months when the rain and such dictates the need out here in the boonies, went thru several battery's and put in an optima, that did better but it still got drained pretty good, put on the 12 x 24 ish solar panel and plugged it into the cigarette lighter port, man now every time you hit the key even if it sat for 2 months, it turns over like a fire cracker. Solar panel is just sitting up on the roof rack, and if we drive it we just reach up and sit it into the back seat or into the cargo area, works great, doesnt sap power off a outlet endlessly, and doesn't marry the truck to be parked next to an outlet. And the truck has a full android head unit, and other residual draining crap inside, dvd player, etc. does just fine. Considering putting the panel on it permanently and hard wiring it. I was thinking to mount it facing up between the roof rack and the roof of the truck.
My thoughts exactly, but I usually go with Amazon because I never have time to drive to HF:
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-20-2021, 02:36 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master

But I'm smarter now!
My EX has sat more than a month before and it starts the same if it's sat for a few days. I seems to restart faster if it's been shut off on the same trip in the same day.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Mine got a new engine wiring harness today and a bunch of new sensors to replace all the 20+ year old stuff that was in there.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:08 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Mine got a new engine wiring harness today and a bunch of new sensors to replace all the 20+ year old stuff that was in there.
Who did you source the harness from?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?