Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:30 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
Installed the caliper hanger with the new backplates. I had put the castings in rust-x and then painted them with high temp paint. Even though the plates came painted, I hit them with another coat of high temp paint.

Pressed out the bearing races in the hubs, degreased and cleaned the hubs, and pressed in the new races and put in the new inner bearing, new oil slinger and a Timken inner seal. Hubs are ready to install. Thank God for my Harbor freight 20 ton press and the air over hydraulic jack I put on it. Made life sooo much nicer than the old days banging races in and out with a bronze drift!

Tomorrow is time to assemble parking brakes, and put the hubs and axles on. Then the new brackets, calipers, pads, rotors, and hoses. Then bleed it.it and replace all the cables. Probably two days more. I'm slow as hell anymore.

Then on to the front axle!
Glad to see you are healed up enough to spin the wrenches again Bion!
I'm a little pressed for time as we leave for a Southern trip on the 28th and only have next Wed & Thurs to finish up the EX and TT jobs. Besides a ton of yard and garden work I managed to replace the 3 rear axle brake hoses with the Russell ones, had the rotors cut, cleaned and lubed the slide pins, installed new Hawk LTS pads and installed a set of speed bleeders Tuesday and last night after work. I would have liked to get a coat of paint on them but there just isn't time, maybe during the Summer.... I'm hoping to get the rear bled and then get at least one front done tonight and finish up Friday before the rain starts. Then I just have to do an oil and filter change, lube the Ex and TT and wax about an acre of panels between the two. I'll be good and ready for vacation by then!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
So I was washing the EX the other day and decided to power wash underneath. I found that the hangers behind the muffler have rusted through and there are large holes in the pipe. I bought a pre-bent 45* and hopefully will get it spliced in today.

I think its been this way for a while, I noticed the soot inside the tailpipe was being cleaned off. I guess water was getting in there and blasting it off jet style.

I have the MBRP 4" and will be replacing it with a Banks w/Power elbow. Im going to eventually have the turbo off to change the impeller and intake housing so I'll do it then. Always had good luck with the Banks stuff.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I removed the front sway bar last night. Can't keep bushings in the right side for some reason. EX rides nice without it though so I'm going to keep it off for the time being. Also installed an Aero 4040XL muffler in place of the straight pipe. Really liking the quite and I'm sure the wife will too. Trying to kill some drone when pulling the TT. Fingers crossed it works.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by copsey
I removed the front sway bar last night. Can't keep bushings in the right side for some reason. EX rides nice without it though so I'm going to keep it off for the time being. Also installed an Aero 4040XL muffler in place of the straight pipe. Really liking the quite and I'm sure the wife will too. Trying to kill some drone when pulling the TT. Fingers crossed it works.
where are the end links on the frame mounted?

with your lift, do you have extended length links? or did you flip the frame mount to under the frame rail? see picture below for what I'm talking about. It's possible you have too much static stress on the sway bar and that's causing the issue.

normally that frame mount is located inside the frame rail. with about 4" of lift on one of my X's I had to flip that mount to get proper sway bar alignment

Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Your turn Andy, why were you sewing your knee?

I was taping off a room for painting. Sliding along the floor on my knees taping the trim off. Someone forgot to mention they spilled a box of needles on the carpet earlier and didn't pick them all up.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tylus

with your lift, do you have extended length links? or did you flip the frame mount to under the frame rail? see picture below for what I'm talking about. It's possible you have too much static stress on the sway bar and that's causing the issue.

normally that frame mount is located inside the frame rail. with about 4" of lift on one of my X's I had to flip that mount to get proper sway bar alignment
That's how they were mounted. It was always the right side too which never made any sense but so far so good with it removed.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by copsey
I removed the front sway bar last night. Can't keep bushings in the right side for some reason.
Yours too? mine has started clunking again after only about 15k miles...

Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix
Yours too? mine has started clunking again after only about 15k miles...
I keep an extra set of bushings (and bushing strap bolts/clips) on the shelf. Usually use Moogs as they seem to last the longest for the money. Bolts and clips because, well, Michigan.

Install, wash hands, order.....

Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus

I wasn't aware this was an option, I thought it just bolted directly to the frame. I'll have to give this a try as my lower bolt lines up exactly with the leaf spring and I also have nasty clunking all the time.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Glad to see you are healed up enough to spin the wrenches again Bion!
I'm a little pressed for time as we leave for a Southern trip on the 28th and only have next Wed & Thurs to finish up the EX and TT jobs. Besides a ton of yard and garden work I managed to replace the 3 rear axle brake hoses with the Russell ones, had the rotors cut, cleaned and lubed the slide pins, installed new Hawk LTS pads and installed a set of speed bleeders Tuesday and last night after work. I would have liked to get a coat of paint on them but there just isn't time, maybe during the Summer.... I'm hoping to get the rear bled and then get at least one front done tonight and finish up Friday before the rain starts. Then I just have to do an oil and filter change, lube the Ex and TT and wax about an acre of panels between the two. I'll be good and ready for vacation by then!
There is NEVER enough time. And I feel your pain about the wash and wax. but It is a little better nowadays for me. A few years ago I bought one of those rolling scaffolds and a random orbital buffer. My back thanked me a million times after doing the Ex and trailer with them. Hope you get it all ready. Camping trips are the best!

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance.

"Car and home ownership means having something to do every weekend for the rest of your life" - My Dad.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:49 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Originally Posted by housedad

"Car and home ownership means having something to do every weekend for the rest of your life" - My Dad.
That may be the most accurate thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Sounds like a very wise Dad!

Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Turns out the muffler was shot too. Straight pipe for now.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Tbug05LTD
Tuned

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Replaced the front axle u-joints with Spicer grease blessed ones, XRF ball joints and new Timken unit bearings both sides.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:12 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbug05LTD
Replaced the front axle u-joints with Spicer grease blessed ones, XRF ball joints and new Timken unit bearings both sides.
Great choice in parts.v XRF are awesome. Do you mean the greasable U-joints? That's what I went with.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?