Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:28 AM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Drained the first flush out (it was pretty bad), second is getting a day of circulation. Took it out last night to get the fluids moving and was able to get the coolant temps up to 185 with the tstat out, and that was screaming up a hill with OD off. Cylinder heads are reporting temps into the 210s when hill climbing with OD off. I haven't looked up what temps are expected there yet. Seems like I should pull both heater cores and replace, but... I just don't want to do that job right now LOL.

Ex seems to drive normally and fine. Not sure what else to look out for except to just drive it until something acts up. So here goes nothing

Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Pics to prove it happened:

More storage, bigger arm rests, relocated the mirror adjust switch, and I like the grab handle to close the door much better. Also, the power fold switch "cutout" is there if someone wanted to go that route.

They do touch the dash ever so slightly, but it is not an issue at all. The little, black, corner-triangle-trim-piece by the mirror is shorter, you gotta have that. Your old one will not work. Mounting was a little tricky, as you have to cut down the little black trim piece that fits around the door pull on the inside. When done trimming, there is almost nothing left of it. Have to drill 4 new holes for screws as well. That took all of 30 seconds per door. Other than that, no other trimming required.

I got the wiring list for the conversion in case anyone needs them. The only things I lost was the "auto-down" feature and the little night light on the doors. Also, the mirror adjust for left and right on both sides is now backwards. Apparently, the 08-10 computer reverses the polarity at the relay. I reversed the wires, but then they didn't work at all, so I will just learn to use them the way it is (left is now right...). Painted medium parchment to match my interior.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Pics to prove it happened:

More storage, bigger arm rests, relocated the mirror adjust switch, and I like the grab handle to close the door much better. Also, the power fold switch "cutout" is there if someone wanted to go that route.

They do touch the dash ever so slightly, but it is not an issue at all. The little corner triangle trim piece is shorter, you gotta have that. Your old one will not work. Mounting was a little tricky, as you have to cut down the little black trim piece that fits around the door pull on the inside. When done trimming, there is almost nothing left of it. Have to drill 4 new holes for screws as well. That took all of 30 seconds per door. Other than that, no other trimming required.

I got the wiring list for the conversion in case anyone needs them. The only thing I lost was the "auto-down" feature. Also, the mirror adjust for left and right on both sides is now backwards. Apparently, the 08-10 computer reverses the polarity at the relay. I reversed the wires, but then they didn't work at all, so I will just learn to use them the way it is (left is now right...). Painted medium parchment to match my interior.
Wish you would've done a write up. From my understanding, I thought you basically only had to cut off one tab to mount the panels. Does the tweeter panels mount? Can't wait to see your rear panels completed. Nice job

Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I am debating the rear panels. I can get them easy enough, but I am not sure if they will be worth all the work required to "weld" 4 panels together into 2 for our doors. Pretty sure I would have to use the back half of my Excursion panels, as I have not been able to visualize doing it with 4 SD panels. There is nothing behind the door handle/arm rest on the SD panel to cut and move to the other panel.

As far as a write up, there isn't much to write up outside the wiring. Painting is straightforward. Drilling four new holes in each door is simple as can be. Trimming the handle-backing-trim was easy after I figured out how much had to be taken off (almost all of it!) That is about it...

I don't have access to a truck that had the tweeter panels, but yes they do mount up just fine from what I read. Just need to run some speaker wires up to them.

I will say this, though....the doors may be the same on the outside and all from 99-16, but there are some subtle differences on the inside skin contours. I would have to take pics to identify them, but I am sure there are some differences.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traded my buddy his F-350 back for my Excursion.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
I traded my buddy his F-350 back for my Excursion.
Scott, you need to give us a little more please

Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Scott, you need to give us a little more please
You're going to make me actually go sit down at the computer and explain huh? Lol

Maybe after a shower. Not typing how the deal happened on this phone.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:35 PM
rwat12
New User
I'm sure I'll catch a lot of crap for this as "our trucks come with a cold air intake from the factory" but I wanted to do this anyway, both for a better filter and for a bigger air intake.
So here it is...

Tomorrow I'll be installing all four new shocks, rear Hellwig sway bar, and new power stop truck/tow drilled/slotted rotors. Wish me luck!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 950 Likes on 687 Posts
Looks good and it's your money! Enjoy.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 PM
rwat12
New User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Looks good and it's your money! Enjoy.
Hey thanks!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:15 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
So, here's the details:

about 3 months ago I swapped my Excursion for my buddy's 01 F-350. I've long since wanted a truck as we just don't use the Excursion as a people hauler much anymore. His truck was a 01 F-350 crew cab 4x4 long bed, single wheel with the 7.3. I loved the idea of a truck AND that it had the 7.3. That's where the love stopped. The truck was solid as was the drivetrain/suspension/brakes but so much of the cosmetic stuff and creature comfort stuff was WAY below the level of the Excursion. Stuff like driver's door handle broke and had to roll window down to get out. Radiator sprung a leak. Driver's seat was completely worn out and not comfortable. Many other small things like this.

Anyways, I was willing to live with these things as I now had a truck. Got lots of use out of it as a truck. Hauled a couple loads of sand, multiple quick runs to Lowe's for lumber. Loved it.

The whole time, I kept hearing from my buddy about how much the gas mileage sucked on the excursion. How much money he was spending trying to make it better. (While I kept telling him most of what he did wasn't needed.) It didn't help that he put a 600 pound ranch-hand bumper on and a huge safari rack considering it is already has 5" of lift and sitting on 35" mud tires.

When he finally told me the whole list of things he had done to it and kept hinting that he wanted to trade back, I took my opportunity.

When we initially traded, we swapped vehicles and I gave him $500 on top. When we traded back, we just even swapped but he had done easily $1600 worth of stuff to it.

10 new motorcraft coils
10 new plugs
Helwig rear sway bar
5 star tune
new O2 sensors
new fuel filter
new PCV valve
Pioneer in-dash dvd with back up camera
updated console cup holders
updated dash cup holders

So basically, I paid $500 for all on that list plus got the use of a truck for 3 months. (Although he and his family did completely pig out the excursion. It will need a whole weekend to get rid of the eww factor.)

I also spent about 2 days cutting, buffing, polishing, and waxing his truck and spent about $50 in some misc parts like mirror switch and new 7 pin tow harness.

The minute I get back in the Excursion and got on the road, I knew I made the right decision to trade back. My Excursion is night and day difference over that truck as far as being the nicer vehicle. (Although I still want a truck.)

Old 08-18-2017, 06:59 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by metru
your rockers are same bad as mine even the corner by the wheel well. Im glad that out in NB Canada we began to use a 90/10 sand to salt mixture that toned down the rust growth out here greatly. you guys gotta take some pointers from us polar bear people

also judging by the rust by the wheel well i got a feeling your truck has a surprise hidding under that plastic trim :x
Another New Brunswicker - wow I never thought I'd see one. Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 AM
metru
Senior User
Originally Posted by nmclella
Another New Brunswicker - wow I never thought I'd see one. Welcome to the forum.
Hey . i was beggining to think i was the only new brunswicker here in the ex area of the forums

Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
So, here's the details:

about 3 months ago I swapped my Excursion for my buddy's 01 F-350. I've long since wanted a truck as we just don't use the Excursion as a people hauler much anymore. His truck was a 01 F-350 crew cab 4x4 long bed, single wheel with the 7.3. I loved the idea of a truck AND that it had the 7.3. That's where the love stopped. The truck was solid as was the drivetrain/suspension/brakes but so much of the cosmetic stuff and creature comfort stuff was WAY below the level of the Excursion. Stuff like driver's door handle broke and had to roll window down to get out. Radiator sprung a leak. Driver's seat was completely worn out and not comfortable. Many other small things like this.

Anyways, I was willing to live with these things as I now had a truck. Got lots of use out of it as a truck. Hauled a couple loads of sand, multiple quick runs to Lowe's for lumber. Loved it.

The whole time, I kept hearing from my buddy about how much the gas mileage sucked on the excursion. How much money he was spending trying to make it better. (While I kept telling him most of what he did wasn't needed.) It didn't help that he put a 600 pound ranch-hand bumper on and a huge safari rack considering it is already has 5" of lift and sitting on 35" mud tires.

When he finally told me the whole list of things he had done to it and kept hinting that he wanted to trade back, I took my opportunity.

When we initially traded, we swapped vehicles and I gave him $500 on top. When we traded back, we just even swapped but he had done easily $1600 worth of stuff to it.

10 new motorcraft coils
10 new plugs
Helwig rear sway bar
5 star tune
new O2 sensors
new fuel filter
new PCV valve
Pioneer in-dash dvd with back up camera
updated console cup holders
updated dash cup holders

So basically, I paid $500 for all on that list plus got the use of a truck for 3 months. (Although he and his family did completely pig out the excursion. It will need a whole weekend to get rid of the eww factor.)

I also spent about 2 days cutting, buffing, polishing, and waxing his truck and spent about $50 in some misc parts like mirror switch and new 7 pin tow harness.

The minute I get back in the Excursion and got on the road, I knew I made the right decision to trade back. My Excursion is night and day difference over that truck as far as being the nicer vehicle. (Although I still want a truck.)
Sounds like you did well

Old 08-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
We took the EX to Texas again. This time we are leaving the Toy Hauler down here for a few months so another family memebr can ise itband save up for a house. The trip down here this time was fun....blown tire, lost a storage compartment door on the TH and came to close to comfort to being in a major accident....putting the full details in the towing section. The EX did great on the trip, weighing at a total of 22,500lbs, no performance issues at all.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?