Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Callmed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sddesigns
I agree certain trucks look great with the white lettering, funny I had them inside on my F150 and out on Blue!
Yup, ur truck in ur pic is another example of why I like'em. Your truck looks great!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Callmed
Yup, ur truck in ur pic is another example of why I like'em. Your truck looks great!!!
Thank you!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 327 Likes on 173 Posts
Results of my weekend with the X

I got a wild hair and went into "deep clean" mode with the X last weekend, here are the results:

I started by removing the center console to get to some carpet that had been installed, by my Dad when it was first purchased. It was a good idea, but after 10 years it became a nuisance:

Name:  IMG_2869.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  115.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2871.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  123.6 KB

After the carpet was ripped out and thoroughly vacummed (didn't get a pic of the "buried treasure" I found below the carpet), I started on the third row carpet:

I used some Scotch Gard cleaner along with a scrubbing brush and cloth to wipe it up

Name:  IMG_2912.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  96.7 KB

Before:

Name:  IMG_2911.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  93.7 KB

After two passes, you would never know that mess was there:

Name:  IMG_2914.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  113.4 KB

The third row had some ink on it in addition to some normal stains from shoving things back there, before:

Name:  IMG_2915.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  80.4 KB

After (still needs another pass to get the ink completely out though):

Name:  IMG_2916.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  77.6 KB

Not pictured is the before and after pics of the interior panels that were cleaned with some Fabuloso cleaner. They went from dusty and scuffed to clean and relativley new once more.

Still not done with her as we've had some rain and I wasn't able to finish the cargo area carpet and whatever miniscule stains are on the driver and passenger carpet.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Per wpnaes suggestion, I went to Home Depot and bought me one of these:

Name:  IMG_2920.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  73.1 KB

(They don't advertise it on their website, so you have to go in-store to find it. )

I wasn't planning on going that big and spending the $60 (tt&l included) I did, but it was definitely worth it!

I was able to put my Hydraulic Jack, chocks, tow straps, and a few miscellaneous items into it completely clearing out the crago area. Theres still some room in there as it's 45 gallons and deep, so I'm going to see if I can make a top shelf for it so I can lift it out and get to jack, straps, and chocks on the bottom.

I did have one concern though and ended up answering my own question:

With the Holiday season kicked off, trucks like ours are already targets for thieves, this would only encourage/peak their curiosity if they decided to try to break into my truck...

If they did, they couldn't just do a "smash and grab", they would have to physically open the truck and be extremely slick as to not draw attention to themselves trying to carry something so heavy WITH the alarm going off. So if anything, it acts more as a theft deterrant as they won't be able to see anything worth breaking into the truck (or getting shot) for. (Jack, tools, etc.)

That aside, I really like this storage bin as it's strong, sturdy, and as my Dad put it will "fight back" and not break easily when thrown around.

I also plan on taking a page from the book of HardRESET and getting a catch-all for the back, this way the carpet never gets dirty again and if anything, just needs to be vaccumed.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,792 Likes on 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel

<<deletia>>

... There's still some room in there as it's 45 gallons ...
Is this the foundation of the future 90-gallon Excursion fuel tank mod?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good TD, I need to get in mine and do some carpet cleaning as well.

90 gallon mod would be awesome.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Per wpnaes suggestion, I went to Home Depot and bought me one of these.
Thanks for posting that picture, I was thinking about going over to HD and checking that out, it's a little too big for my needs, was there a smaller model available?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by sddesigns
Thanks for posting that picture, I was thinking about going over to HD and checking that out, it's a little too big for my needs, was there a smaller model available?
Definitely, they also have a 27-gallon model.

Btw, I looked into the sportsman container and it isn't as sturdy as it looks. If you compare the two, you'll go for the Greene Mountain container.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:10 AM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking A little info about it...

I also plan on taking a page from the book of HardRESET and getting a catch-all for the back, this way the carpet never gets dirty again and if anything, just needs to be vaccumed.
Glad that my picture inspired someone. I did receive that liner with the adoption of Hera and am not sure of the brand. If you look closely in my picture you can see the back lip has somewhat folded down a little. I know WeatherTech has a liner, which I think, just came out with, I could be wrong. But in the picture showing the beige one that goes behind the third row seat also looks like it is on it's way down.

Just a heads up before you drop the $100+ on a pretty little thing at first, then doesn't look so good later... like marriage?!?!

Sorry I apologize for that one...

Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,027 Likes on 1,203 Posts
24" wiper blades = awesome! Why didn't I do this sooner??

The X also got a new unit bearing, tires rotated and balanced, quick interior detail, fresh oil and filter and about 180gals of WVO (1/2 in Toy Hauler) loaded for this trip.

Daisy and I are outside Kansas City, MO this week...

I'm not sure I mentioned it here yet, but I'm collecting some parts to freshen up the old 7.3 a little. Like - new oil pan, headstuds, 910 valve springs, 250/200 injectors, T4 turbo mount w/wastegate and a GTX4294. We'll prolly yank the engine out and get started when I get back home. Think I should consider beefing up the hitch on the Toy Hauler so it doesn't get yanked off once this thing gets back together?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,027 Likes on 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
I made some orders today. A Lot of orders.
I like the way that sounds!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the details....

Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I just admired her over the weekend. Can't wait to put the snow monster in action...but no real snow yet

Old 12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,792 Likes on 2,666 Posts
I walked out of the house, turned the corner and walked up to her. It occurred to me just how wide she was across the back. "Damn!", I said to myself, "she really is a wide load".

As I got closer, I could see that the windy day had left dirt and dust all over her back side. "Looks like my girl really does need a bath", I said. She just sat there. Motionless and in stoney silence. I didn't think that I'd been ignoring her, but I guess I was wrong.

I walked up to her, put my hand on her dirty back, and asked "are you interested in having some fun later today". Again I got the silent treatment. Puzzled, I tried to figure out what I'd done to incur her wrath.

I walked around her, intent on getting some kind of response. Just as I was about to speak I made the mistake of glancing down. You know, she really is impressive from the front. There aren't many out there that can carry that much load in the front so gracefully.

And then it hit me. Deja Vu. This scenario had played out almost exactly like this years ago. The first Excursion hadn't yet come off the assembly line though and the non-conversation ended with my wife giving me the divorce papers that were in her hand.

So I went from having a wife, to having and ex and an Ex. Oh -- and both of them really are built for comfort, not speed.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
BassFantasizer you gave me a great laugh today!

I've got an ex and my Ex. Except my ex is built with some common Ex issues like wandering...I never know quite where she's headed and can't ever get it straight...and those annoying front end squeaks you just can't silence no matter how much money you throw at it.

Fortunately, I've got a good wife now that's got all the good qualities of my Ex. She's tough as nails, reliable, looks great, can pull her weight, treats me good, is built for comfort and has four wheel drive! I wash and wax and change the oil on her as often as I can 'cause I want her to last a long time, just like my Ex!

Last edited by jasonodsky; 12-05-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought me a roof rack for my 02' Limited Ex. Once the weather "warms" up slightly I'm gunna try and figure out how to hook it up on the top. Assembled it today.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?