Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Tom the power rear jacks are great but they don't remove all the rocking......

I use these jacks under the slides, one on each side
Gigger, be careful when using those! If you ever have a tire leak down overnight, it can ruin the slide and track. It puts all of the weight on the bottom of the slide. I used to want those as well, but saw this happen a couple of years ago and it got really expensive, really quick when the slide got damaged. I have since changed my mind on those.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend has 2 of those dogbone creepers, im 6'4 and i find them extremely awkward to work on, as well as too short

And no worries Tom, i have AAA

Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
WE3ZS
Received 859 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Tom the power rear jacks are great but they don't remove all the rocking......

I use these jacks under the slides, one on each side
Thanks Gerry, this new trailer will be the first one with slides (3) for us too, are the slide supports really needed or just good insurance?
Hmmmm, I just read Monty's post and now I am questioning them.......... I had a tire go down while camping in MD this summer due to a sand grain that had been imbedded in the rim's metal letting go (best guess), craziest flat I've ever seen. Nearly new rim, still all shiny white and it had air bubbling right out of the paint about halfway between the center section and the bead. I have a pic somewhere I'll have to find it and post it up.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
WE3ZS
Received 859 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by jspence105
New trailer this weekend. Asked the wife to email me a photo and this is what I got

Nice looking rig Spence! Looks like the EX gang is on a trailer buying spree this fall! I can't wait to make our final decision and complete the deal for ours.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Looking good Dave! Can't wait to see a pic of the new train and hear how it tows, unfortunately doing the train deal with a bumper pull around here is a big no-no.
It looks like your new trailer has the power stabilizer jacks, how do you like them? We are getting pretty close to making a deal on a new travel trailer and most of the ones we have looked at have the power stabs. On our current trailer I tend to load up my manual stab jacks pretty good, not lifting the rig but I do let them carry some weight, this with a set of X-Chocks really keep the trailer still once setup. I was just curious how good of a job the power stabs do. I can't stand having the trailer jiggling around when I'm laying in bed and my son and his buddies are still up and moving around in the far end of the trailer. Plus I really don't mind doing the cranking on them and I see the powered ones as just another thing that can crap out and the ones I've seen don't have a manual override.
And I trust your opinion much more than a saleman's.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack...FbFDMgoddlwAyA

That's the style we have. Not the exact model, but close. It you look at it the motor is on a slide so the feet will self level to uneven ground side to side. But will only lift as a whole, no way to lift one side more than the other.

But
I have mixed feelings on the electric stabalizers. The style these are, you can not use them to try and level the camper side to side. They are slow as hell to let down. But they do work well for what they are. Mine do have a manual crank to use if they fail. It's one jack for the front, one for the rear. That's it.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
A box on the back of the camper! Thats something on my ever growing list of things to do some day.

Just be careful of the weight and stress you put on that rear bumper, some are really thin and welded to the frame by high school drop outs.
ya, it is kinda thin, but it's pritty sturdy. Also ill have to post a pic of my reciever hitch, the hitch it tied into the I beam frame, and into the bumper with u bolts. So that makes the bumper that much stronger. The spare tire was mounted in the middle of the bumper. So I'm sure it will be ok.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:01 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Dave, how do you like that dogbone creeper? How solid is the plastic where the wheels attach?

Stewart
Love it, have had it 6 years now. I'm 6 ft 1 in, have used it on every surface, gravel, grass, rocks, cement, and everything in between.

I've even put transmissions on it to roll them out from under vehicles.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Nice looking rig Spence! Looks like the EX gang is on a trailer buying spree this fall! I can't wait to make our final decision and complete the deal for ours.

Thanks, we've been looking since June so I'm glad it's over. We looked an new and used and had finally decided on new when we found this one. a 2010 Evergreen ever-lite 31bhs. It was 6 hours away but it was worth the drive 15K and the thing is like new.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
A friend of mine has the same TT. Everlite/green makes a great travel trailer. He has had no problem's, and I bet he put's 15,000 miles a year on it.
I looked at them, and I liked that they are all composite. My local dealer (one I trust) said that appliances aside, you could leave it wide open to the element's, and it will never rot/fail. I don't know that as a fact, and I wasn't buying one when he told me that.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I performed the 'wiper mod' today. Why Ford spec'd 20's for these, I'll never know.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Technologiq
I performed the 'wiper mod' today. Why Ford spec'd 20's for these, I'll never know.
I would guess either they had a ton of 20in blades in stock or they felt that anything bigger would create to much stress on the wiper motors.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:08 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
running 24" blades for 3 years without issue.

so guys i have a opportunity to make alittle cash towing a boat for a family friend. now the boat is 36-38ft long and 10ft wide. it is a large ocean going vessel and the guy who owns it sold his f550 he used to tow it with and needs to bring it back to town (about 110 miles through the mountains) the boat and trailer are 2-3 years old and the weight is around 13-14k i know its over my rated tow limit so i'm asking would it be crazy to even entertain the idea of towing this for him? i would have a pilot car...i'm thinking it would be kinda fun but could be taxing my truck too much. i figured with good trailer brakes, taking it slow and easy it would be a easy money maker?

Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Daewoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

so guys i have a opportunity to make alittle cash towing a boat for a family friend. now the boat is 36-38ft long and 10ft wide. it is a large ocean going vessel and the guy who owns it sold his f550 he used to tow it with and needs to bring it back to town (about 110 miles through the mountains) the boat and trailer are 2-3 years old and the weight is around 13-14k i know its over my rated tow limit so i'm asking would it be crazy to even entertain the idea of towing this for him? i would have a pilot car...i'm thinking it would be kinda fun but could be taxing my truck too much. i figured with good trailer brakes, taking it slow and easy it would be a easy money maker?
If you left mountains out of the equation it may be doable. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable towing that boat in the mountains without a dually for stability.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Daewoo
If you left mountains out of the equation it may be doable. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable towing that boat in the mountains without a dually for stability.
well i say that because that's all Alaska is...Mountains you don't get many flat areas.

i'm not sure why i'm even entertaining the idea it just seems fun...

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Name:  20130929_180203_zpsc2a03ccc.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  78.1 KB
Name:  20130929_180208_zps4a42f254.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  55.1 KB
Name:  20130929_180215_zpsb46185f3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  81.3 KB

got some 315/75/16 Terra Grapplers on OEM rims today for $500. Very happy with them. Only rub the bumper valence at full lock. ... got an appt with the razor blade tonight to fix. please ignore the gas lid area. stupid salt ate the aluminum hinge and it fell off. guess I'll throw the factory cover back on

Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
well i say that because that's all Alaska is...Mountains you don't get many flat areas.

i'm not sure why i'm even entertaining the idea it just seems fun...

Depends on the grades. And, do you have any improvements for towing like swaybar in rear ? RAS?
How much tongue weight will it have?

I'd consider it. Just take it easy going up hill.
And I am guessing the trailer has a brake....

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?