Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Upgraded the stereo

So the POS JVC I had is out. I took a road trip to Monterey, and the burn-the-retina-out-of-your-eye blue button backlighting that you can't properly dim was just too much.

My last JVC I had (that stayed with the Expedition I traded in to get this Excursion) had adjustable color to match the truck and was dimmable. This cheaper version (from a buddy who just got a new car) didn't have that feature, and would only run an iPod in 'master' mode where you have to control it via the head unit (VERY difficult with the tiny buttons with no tactile feel).

So a trip to an old car stereo shop I know let me check out a Kenwood eXelon KDC-X995. I'll post a write up of why I chose it in the "Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics" section of the forum.

The old head unit came out no problem, but I had to figure out where I wanted to put the USB port for the iPod. As much as I hated to do it, the only logical place I could find was next to the upper power port on the dash. I hate to cut whenever possible, but I figure I can fashion a cover if I ever remove it fairly easily and it shouldn't look that bad.

I mounted the stereo with the pocket up...this is because the Kuda mount blocks the view if you mount it with the pocket down:

The wires you see coming out of the pocket are the power/traffic antenna for the Garmin Nuvi and the remote head cable for the Yaesu 7800.

I taped off the dash panel and used a dremel to cut out most of the opening, then used a razor knife to get the rest off, keeping it as tight as possible:

The Kenwood came with a type of a mount that lets you back-mount the loose female end of the cable using two tiny bolts or screws. I'm going to look around for black anodized ones to tone down the look of those bright ones.

The color of the display works nice with the dash green - I think it's color 18...I may go full custom and tweak it just a bit later:

The microphone for the bluetooth handsfree went from just left of the rear view mirror down the A pillar, over the top of the gauge cluster, under the right side driver vent to the back of the stereo:

I was sweating it out doing the cutting, but it didn't turn out TOO bad, and the backer made it look a bit cleaner.

Cons:
  • Sun can hit the passenger seat and the angle of the faceplate reflects it A LOT, washing it out if you are driving into the sun in the early afternoon.
  • No in-face USB port - you have to either run it behind the dash or cut a hole in it to mount like I did.
Pros:
  • HD radio with easy auto-find, can even set it only to search for HD channels
  • 3 sets of pre-outs (I'll post my amp and sub mods as I add them)
  • Lets you control your music from the iPod or the head unit (passenger can use the iPod while you drive)
  • Can read thumb drives as well
  • Bluetooth handsfree for your phone (output is via the speakers, input via a dedicated microphone, so it can 'noise cancel' as you speak) - links up INCREDIBLY fast on my HTC MyTouch 4g
  • Display color can be set to match the green dash (or other colors you may have modded your dash to).
  • DSP is AMAZING on the eXcelon line...adjusts for road noise, let's you position the sound by seat or full custom, decent stock equalizer settings or let's you go full manual
  • And my favorite - lets you run your Pandora music from your iPhone OR iPOD! (maybe the iPad but I haven't tested it yet) I can link my iPod to my Android phone via wireless tether, then my iPod Pandora music runs through the stereo via bluetooth - KICK ***!!
So far I'm loving it...too bad I wasn't better at modding the dash!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Great job!

Personally I would try to find some black tapered screws and countersink them into the cover so they sit flush for that plug. Would look factory!

These would be slick.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ran my rear USB cable into the glove box, but I leave the thumb drive in there all the time. I specifically searched for a rear USB/AUX cable input HU, I didn't want anything sticking out of the front. I ran my AUX up the left side of the dash under my A pillar, waiting to hook up my Sirius.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Upgraded the stereo

Double post...oops!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 PM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Thumbs up Pulled another trigger...

Just bought the Gauge Pod...

GlowShift - 99-07 Ford Super Duty PowerStroke Quad Custom Gauge Package
* Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge 1500*
* Trans Temp Gauge
* 60psi Boost Gauge
* Volt Gauge

I did another coupon search and found a 10% off and saved $25.80 making the total price $232.18. I felt that was not bad. Now I will still be needing that someone that wants to come to Florida to help do that EGT sensor...

Also I am still waiting on my LEDs for the interior, backup and license plate lights. Evidently the USPS has gotten even slower, an estimated 21 days... WOW! My gauges will probably arrive before the LEDs will...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ddddcc height=28 vAlign=middle width="20%" noWrap>Information about shipment </TD><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=bottom width="79%" align=right></TD><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=top width=10 align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" bgColor=#ddddcc align=center><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ddddcc><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ddddcc align=center><TBODY><TR><TD bg*************** vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Ship Carrier: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom>USPS</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Tracking Number: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom>910____52129771____306</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Status: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom>In transit </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD height=100 vAlign=top width=2></TD><TD width="50%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Order #: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom>102-____262-940____</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Shipment Date: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom>October 20, 2011</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Destination: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Estimated Arrival: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom>November 10, 2011</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" bgColor=#ddddcc align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD bgColor=#ddddcc height=10 align=left></TD><TD bgColor=#ddddcc height=10 align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="99%" colSpan=4><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=top width=10 align=left></TD><TD bgColor=#ddddcc height=28 vAlign=middle width="20%" noWrap>Track your package </TD><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=bottom width="79%" align=right></TD><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=top width=10 align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" bgColor=#ddddcc align=center><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ddddcc><TD bgColor=#ddddcc vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ddddcc align=center><TBODY><TR><TD bg*************** vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Date</TD><TD>Time</TD><TD>Location</TD><TD>Event Details</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap>October 21, 2011</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>---</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>US</TD><TD vAlign=top>Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Robert, that looks great in there, well done, Gig

Reset nice work on the coupon there

Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
hardRESET

Talking All the comedians here...

Originally Posted by locknload223
Send me your manifold and I'll do it for ya .
Gee thanks Mike... OHHH, now that S___ is funny, I don't care who you are...

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I finally had a chance to really clean the inside of mine today. Found an nice sticky orange mess under the third row seat Thank goodness for the Husky liner! Now if I could just fit it in the garage it might even be worth it to clean the outside!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
FB, just raise the garage a few courses of blocks

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
These would be slick.

Would need to be TINY...will start searching some hardware stores tomorrow...

Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HR, that does seem like a long time. Mine (dosecobanya's) should be here Saturday. I think you ordered before me.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
hardRESET

Thumbs up Liking it...

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
I am actually really liking that. I have been Googleing to try and find the right surface mounted USB ends to put them in that same location for just power. I would like either a two or four usb to do that with. I found a few different ones, just none that really jumped out. These are the closest that I found but would still need the converter for them. I want to keep the power socket stock but do not mind the dremmeling part to make it look factory right next to it.

I am sure that now that I mentioned it, [shoutout]TXtinct[/shoutout] will grab the idea and do it to his first...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't think I haven't been looking for a place to put a couple usb's... Big family...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
hardRESET

Thumbs down It is what it is...

Originally Posted by TXtinct
HR, that does seem like a long time. Mine (dosecobanya's) should be here Saturday. I think you ordered before me.
TXtinct, it is a very long time... must be shipping one LED at a time. But you went eBay, I went Amazon thinking it might have been more local, but now I am thinking not. I have ordered things from Meritline that I know come from China and it is about the same amount of time...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
just used it to get to/from work then the store and home. mundane i know.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?