Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 PM
double ott ex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't do anything to my ex today because I had a vasectomy. tmi I know. but the other day I was driving it and I heard a pop sound and then I had no power steering and no power brakes. fortunately I was only about a mile from my home at the time. there is ps fluid everywhere and I have not had a chance to really investigate it. I hope I didn't do any damage by driving it home.

DOE

Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by double ott ex
I didn't do anything to my ex today because I had a vasectomy. tmi I know. but the other day I was driving it and I heard a pop sound and then I had no power steering and no power brakes.
So your fix was to have a vasectomy? Are the brakes better now?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
he doesn't have to stop now... so yes it worked LOL

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I replaced the GPCM I damaged from pressure washing my engine last February with a spare Kdr358 had and was kind enough to send me.

Works perfect and I'm sure my truck is happy to have glow plugs again

Please rep Kdr358 if you see him hanging around!
You really damaged it washing your engine? Howd it damage it? Got pics?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sad to report that I haven't even had the Ex out of the garage in about a month and a half. My very minimal towing needs have been well satisfied by the Cruze or F-450. I should put the battery tender on it soon, but I do want to pull it out for a ride soon while the weather is still nice.

This past Sunday, I was out and about and going by where my old Ex now resides, so I decided to roll by to check in on it. Still there, slightly dirty, but not bad. Looks like he did finally get new tires on it.

Just as the picture was uploading, it dawned on me that you know what, Sunday also happened to be the one year anniversary from handing over the keys. The things I do subconsciously...

Name:  IMG_3888.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  104.2 KB

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,787 Likes on 2,665 Posts
I didn't do anything to my ex today because I had a vasectomy. tmi I know. but the other day I was driving it and I heard a pop sound and then I had no power steering and no power brakes. fortunately I was only about a mile from my home at the time. there is ps fluid everywhere and I have not had a chance to really investigate it. I hope I didn't do any damage by driving it home.

DOE
You heard a pop sound so you had a vasectomy? I strongly suggest that you stay away from loud noises!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
You heard a pop sound so you had a vasectomy? I strongly suggest that you stay away from loud noises!
Now that was funny!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 325 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
You really damaged it washing your engine? Howd it damage it? Got pics?
I didn't damage the engine itself, but I did damage a few critical and not so critical electrical components.

I started with simple green and used Berryman's engine cleaner and got out my pressure washer to clean things off. Guess I got a little too close for comfort and instead of lightly misting the engine to rinse the cleaner off, I got a little too close and I guess didn't let the engine dry off enough.

I destroyed:

-My PCM
-GPCM
-ICP sensor

I had a spare PCM becuase I did some work Evilinkcris' truck and got it running again. He gave me a spare PMT2 PCM he had as a thank you for getting his truck fixed after so much frustration.

I knew my PCM was burnt up because it wouldn't show ICP with the sensor plugged or unplugged and wouldn't start. As soon as I plugged in the PMT2 PCM, with the ICP unplugged it started and ran like it should. I replaced the ICP sensor and unplugged the GPCM and she was good to go again.

The lesson here:

It's ok to clean off your engine, just use a garden hose instead of a pressure washer.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 325 Likes on 171 Posts

DOE
Been there myself, you probably didn't damage anything, but it's not as hard or expensive to replace the lines or the pump as you think.

My experience here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-weekend.html

Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
So I got tired of a clunk in my front end. Figured had to me sway bar bushings, so I cut a piece of heater hose to tighten up the gap untell I order up some new ones.

They are now noise free. who knows how long this "poor mans" fix will work, but should last tell I get new ones.
That's a good McGuyver idea, I would just leave it like that.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
double ott ex
Senior User
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
Originally Posted by Nsaan
he doesn't have to stop now... so yes it worked LOL
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Now that was funny!!!
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Been there myself, you probably didn't damage anything, but it's not as hard or expensive to replace the lines or the pump as you think.

My experience here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-weekend.html
you guys are a riot!

I found the issue...

it seems the fitting failed. now I am off to find a replacement.

DOE

Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Got the new MOOG tie rod end on and a new steering stabilizer on this morning. The steering is way better now. I had just replaced that tie rod end in January, but it has been smoked since about May. The steering stabilizer was probably not in great shape even before I smashed it on a rock on Sunday.

I bet I'll be at the wheel bearings again soon. I go through those pretty quick also. One goes out every six to eight months, which is great because they are warranted for a year and they are easy to change.

Big tires, high off-set wheels, and lots of off-road abuse all adds up to absolute torture for the front end of this thing.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM
cw_mi
Senior User
Nothing today but driving it. Monday I decided to try a cheap bandaid to the sagging front springs. Now a V/B code swap was on the agenda this year but the unexpected transmission replacment ate up that budget. So I ran across the Timbren Aeon Springs for the front axle. I have the Timbren SES set up on the rear for towing and it works awesome so I figured I'd give the fronts a try for $170. It took about a half hour to swap out my stock bump stops for the Timbren ones. Well within the first few miles I could tell a huge difference in the ride. The truck now feels more stable and handles the bump a hell of a lot better. I do know that the front springs will continoue to sag but until I can gather the funds this works pretty good. Actually I sort of like the fact that the truck isn't lifted, which will happen with a spring change.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
So I got tired of a clunk in my front end. Figured had to me sway bar bushings, so I cut a piece of heater hose to tighten up the gap untell I order up some new ones.

They are now noise free. who knows how long this "poor mans" fix will work, but should last tell I get new ones.
2wd or 4wd ?
They have different bushings.
I could not find any non-oem for my 2wd so replaced them w stock Ford items.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Sad to report that I haven't even had the Ex out of the garage in about a month and a half. My very minimal towing needs have been well satisfied by the Cruze or F-450. I should put the battery tender on it soon, but I do want to pull it out for a ride soon while the weather is still nice.

This past Sunday, I was out and about and going by where my old Ex now resides, so I decided to roll by to check in on it. Still there, slightly dirty, but not bad. Looks like he did finally get new tires on it.

Just as the picture was uploading, it dawned on me that you know what, Sunday also happened to be the one year anniversary from handing over the keys. The things I do subconsciously...
If I don't drive my EX for a month and a half without a battery maintainer, the battery is completely dead.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?