Exhaust leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 11:51 PM
ehenson99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust leak question

OK, I have a 93 F-150 4x4 with the 302. I have a nasty, nasty collecter gasket leak. The only problem is that everybody I talk to says that there isn't a gasket in the collecters on those trucks. It's just metal, to metal. So, what the hell do I do? It won't tighten up any more. Is there an aftermarket gasket I can put in there? Is there anybody out there that has solved a similar problem? I want to upgrade to some Summit shorty headers eventually. Do those come with gaskets for the collecters? Should I just buy those, and put them in. Please people, ANY help or advise would be appreciated. This is driving me CRAZY!

Thanks

Old 02-14-2003, 08:16 AM
swirk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust leak question

First make sure that you don't have a crack in your manifold, they are infamous for cracking. Summit shorties do come with an manifold to head gasket, but not a y-pipe to header gasket. If it is leaking at the collector with the stock manifolds, it will most likely leak with the headers. I would try an exhaust donut, it is a high temp gasket that fits inside the end of the y-pipe so that when you connect the manifold (or header) to the y-pipe and tighen it down, it squishes and seals the connection. They only cost a dollar or two at the most. I may be worth a try.