Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rustoleum Paint Mixture For Frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I just sprayed my first ever with chassis saver part a few days ago and the other half today. We'll see hos it holds up over winters and work like our 95 did.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
That is sprayed? Looks brushed.

diesel&coffee the hardener is designed for acrylic enamels. Rustolium is oil based, so NO, it is Not compatible

Just a FYI. The 79 i restored for my buddy 3 years ago is back for FRAME paint and wheel paint. Frame paint was rustolium gloss black. Bare frame with axles was power washed, wire wheeled down to bare, wiped clean with wax/grease remover then sprayed w 2 gallons of gloss black. The truck has NEVER been driven in the rain or snow, But is stored outside. The frame is starting to blister really bad. Wish i had my sandblaster to do a superior job of cleaning and wish I had used POR for better adhesion

Start
Name:  000_0646.jpg
Views: 6257
Size:  84.8 KB

Finish(tank was removed, cleaned painted and inside frame as well, then reinstalled and repainted)
Name:  000_0655.jpg
Views: 7401
Size:  84.5 KB
Name:  000_0656.jpg
Views: 5687
Size:  108.4 KB

Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 PM
diesel&coffee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok what other options do we have.. Meaning a step up in quality from rostoleum/krylon liquid paint.. Other then POR-15.. Like DuPont or other?? Any industrial paints?? There has to be something that is killer and can be tinted flat or other if wish!

And no I am not powder coating.. Not totally stripping truck.

Is krylon industrial any better then rustoleum.. Its a modified acrylic alkyed enamel.

DIESEL BRAD was it just regular rostoleum paint?? Not industrial??

Anyone hard off Vansickles tractor paint??

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tracto...torenamel.html

Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
That is sprayed? Looks brushed

Yes, I should have been more specific. That pic was just the brushing the frame got, after that the bottom of the box was sprayed and then bolted back on the truck then it was sprayed from the underneath today from back to front of the truck. I have new pics but forgot the camera back in the shop. I will post the pics tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My 0.02 USD worth . . .

I'll throw this out there for consideration.

I worked at an amusement park with water rides and while I was employed by them, I was sent to DuPont Refinishing School in SoCal.

We used Rustoleum Stops Rust 'rattle can' gloss black paint on the chassis and other misc. parts on a number of the rides. Rugged stuff if applied correctly. Destined for failure if 'home brew' concoctions and directions are used.

The same can be said for the DuPont Centari 5000 that we used on the shiny parts of the rides that the guests would see. Used right, almost indestructible. Used wrong, well, it was ugly, I can tell you.

Eliminating paint failure starts with reading the label and following the directions. For best results, Rustoleum top coat needs a Rustoleum brand primer.

If you have surface rust, it has to go or be converted with rust reformer. If it's very light surface rust, use a Scotch-Brite pad to clean the chassis. Wipe it down with a degreaser, being liberal with the liquid, then prime and paint.

For the Stops Rust series of paint, Do Not put mineral spirits in the paint! This is the best way to create failure. The paint will say how much acetone to use for best results.

On the other hand, the rusty metal primer says how much mineral spirits to use.

To coat the tops of the frame rails without removing the bed, use a weenie roller from your favorite home improvement center.

Coated this way, parts held up well, even under the assault of highly chlorinated flume ride water. We also used the Professional series rattle can paint, too. All available from Graingers.

Just sayin' . . .

Ray

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
diesel&coffee
Junior User
Thanks Sir..

I may try the industrial rustoleum or Industrial Krylon paint.. Ad yes the same series primer. I do have my bed off! Just not taking the cab or motor
out!

If I go rustoleum then have decided I will prop. use the rusty metal primer!

I

Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
A comment

Originally Posted by diesel&coffee
Thanks Sir..

I may try the industrial rustoleum or Industrial Krylon paint.. Ad yes the same series primer. I do have my bed off! Just not taking the cab or motor
out!

If I go rustoleum then have decided I will prop. use the rusty metal primer!

I
that rusty metal primer is wicked stuff. As long as the substrate is prepared per the directions, it isn't coming off anytime soon.

We painted my brother's motorcycle tank and fenders with Rustoleum Painter's Touch primer, topcoat and clearcoat. That was years ago and it still looks good. What we used would be considered a 'system', paints that are designed to work together.

Whatever system you decide to use, be it Rustoleum or Krylon, follow the directions closely.

What is critical is what the mfg. says about the re-coat time. If you wait too long, the new coat of paint/primer cannot get a grip on the previous layer of coating. The re-coat times will be listed on the cans.

Ray

Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Brad, i really think your problems is with the mineral spirits used to thin the paint. we have been using acetone for years with no problems at all here in New Jersey.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am sorry, I miss spoke. I did use Acitone.

And it was regular , not industrial

Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
kevin206
Senior User
I've used some Rustoleum. And I've used tractor paint from TSC. I've used hardener from TSC and some low cost stuff from NAPA. I've thinned with mineral spirits for brushing, acetone and even gas for spraying. These cheaper based paints do okay, BUT they have no UV protection and will fade if neglected and used for outside stuff...but I've had pretty good luck.

BTW, I've used these paints on 2 tractors, 3 or 4 trailers, my dad's 56 Ford car, an old work van, my toolboxes, and various suspension and underbody parts.

And Kudos for reviving a 2010 thread!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Here is my thread on protecting our new truck from rust. Still have more to do but a good start. I like the chassis saver! Just as nice as POR but seems to dry a little faster.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-it-ready.html

Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM
diesel&coffee
Junior User
I Would love to use some 2 part spray stuff.. But can't use spray where I am at.. I need a brush product.. Yes I still wonder about rustolium but they sell a lot of industrial alkyd enamel.. Grangers carries by the boat load. It's used on costal industrial stuff.. Can't be total crap.. I may toss the dice to see for myself ..

Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 PM
diesel&coffee
Junior User
So which chassis paint look smoother/better after painting?? POR 15, chassis saver, Master series??

That's brushing on!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin206
These cheaper based paints do okay, BUT they have no UV protection and will fade if neglected and used for outside stuff...but I've had pretty good luck.

BTW, I've used these paints on 2 tractors, 3 or 4 trailers, my dad's 56 Ford car, an old work van, my toolboxes, and various suspension and underbody parts.

And Kudos for reviving a 2010 thread!
I see people post this in every thread on several different forums on rustoleum paint and no one has yet to show their faded paint job. While in fact there is photo proof of a car several years old that isn't faded at all. Either that person knew what they were doing or just got dumb lucky. Seeing the chassis with the rustoleum flaking earlier doesn't say much really either other than bad preparation honestly.

Quick Reply: Rustoleum Paint Mixture For Frame