How To DIY --> #6637 Intake Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up How To DIY --> #6637 Intake Enclosure

Hey everyone,

So I started treating my Powerstroke Modification Syndrome with mods to keep from going crazy. I did the 6637 mod and loved it. I decided to make the custom enclosure for it and took pictures along the way. Anyways, I thought I'd share my experience and make a DIY guide with pictures to help anyone out who wants to perform this mod. Here it is :

First we will start off with tools and supplies. There's nothing worse then having your truck torn apart then having to put it all back together just to drive to get tools and come back to do it all over again... happens to me too often

Tools & Supplies:

.24 gauge sheet metal (Print plan layouts, tape them together, and determine how much you will need to get)
.Tin snips
.Box Cutter
.Electrical Tape
.Rivet Gun w/Rivets
.Hand Grinder w/flap disk - 80 grit + (optional)
.Drill + Drill Bits
.Standard ratchet/wrench set
.Pliers
.Screw Drivers

1.) Print out plans on 8.5 X 11 Paper. Cut on grey lines. Tape together
*If you plan on painting the finished product. Wipe down all sheet metal with vinegar or some kind of solevent to get rid of the oily stuff that is on sheet metal. It prevents the paint from sticking correctly*
2.) Use electrical tape to keep the plans still on your sheet metal.

3.) Use your box knife to cut the solid and dotted (fold) lines of the paper. This leaves markings on the sheet metal for cutting.
4.) CAREFULLY cut out each layout with the tin snips. *Notice the CAREFULLY part - wear gloves! I have stitches from forgetting that step*

5.) Use Pliers (preferably ones with a large & flat head on it) to slowly bend each fold accordingly (almost all bends are 90*)

6.) Drill holes the size of your pop rivet heads through the two layers of sheet metal where you decide to secure the pieces together.
7.) Rivet all pieces together securely (Here is your initial box!)

8.) Remove your filter, battery, and battery mount.
9.) Place the box exactly where you will want it (you want your box pushed as far back as possible to ensure that you will have space for your filter when you replace your battery)
10.) Temporarily place your battery mount where it will be placed permanently and mark out holes for drilling through the box. Then Drill the holes.
11.) Place your custom box, replace your battery mount, bolt it down.

12.) Now you can replace your filter and your battery (replace filter first).
13.) Here is your final product before paint!

14.) After getting to this point I went ahead and punched through the Zoodad mod for air supply.
15.) Now that I knew it fit, I pulled it all out for paint and De-sharpening. I used a grinder with a flap disk to round the corners and dull down the edges.
16.) I then primered and painted both my box and my battery mount. I used primer, then semi gloss black, then clear coat.

17.) Use previously stated instructions to reinstall.

18.) I added an air ram tube that I custom made from some flexible gutter tubing. It worked great and fed right from the Zoodad into the box. This really helps!

And Here is the final product with the Pete's Filter Cover

These are great to keep the big stuff out and they really increase the longevity of your filter. It's a must have with the 6637. Customizable too! Check them out at

19.) Just for added effect, I painted my plastic engine cover to match.

Hope this helps everyone out ! ! Good luck ! !

Here is a link to the box plans. Thanks to whoever designed this thing !

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post5937371

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
Nice writup. Hope to do this in the next few weeks.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up and it looks good

Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Hey thanks guys!

Cant wait to do another mod. I have found out that i need to go to the gym right after work before I start working on my truck. Because when I work on my truck first, It somehow ends up being dark all the sudden and I dont get the excercise ha. For example, last night I put some reverse lights on my truck. It was the best 25 buck's I've ever spent! Super bright.

And Kbeefy, where did you get your big push bumper/grill on your other SD that I saw in your gallery. I really like it and want to get a similar one. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny though.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
I really want to do this also, very nice job!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Thanks again Glenn. I have secured that air ram tube since then and I am working on getting a screen for it. Anyone have suggestions for this? I went to lowes but they want to sell it in rolls of 10 million square feet. I told them that they need to calm down with the quantities

Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Did the enclosure help quiet down the 6637 any?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
I doubt that it quieted it down from the outside, but maybe from the inside since its pulling air from the front of the truck instead of just from werever in the engine bay. The air ram tube really makes sure of that, and I will get some weather stripping to seal it in the engine compartment even more. I like the noise though

Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 03_PSD
Did the enclosure help quiet down the 6637 any?
It stopped the drone I was having on certain stretches of road. Some of the other noises are a little more muted also, but it still sounds like an open element filter. The drone was my whole reason behind the box.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by F350-6
It stopped the drone I was having on certain stretches of road. Some of the other noises are a little more muted also, but it still sounds like an open element filter. The drone was my whole reason behind the box.
Thats why I'm interested.... my truck gives my poor wife a headache. I like turbo whistle, but towing 14k+ it's there all the time.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Spool&Go
And Kbeefy, where did you get your big push bumper/grill on your other SD that I saw in your gallery. I really like it and want to get a similar one. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny though.
That was a Safari Gaurd unit. I think they're gone, don't know who else makes a similar item. ARB sells a bumper for about 1/2 the cost, still a pretty decent unit. Reunell used to make a bumper for it but it was just a bit big for my tastes.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Update:

Just FYI

Did a turbo conversion from the early to the late 99 turbo set up and put in a turbonetics. Thought I'd show the new pics since I changed the color scheme of the intake and whatnot.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking. How's it performing?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by Spool&Go
Hey everyone,

So I started treating my Powerstroke Modification Syndrome with mods to keep from going crazy. I did the 6637 mod and loved it. I decided to make the custom enclosure for it and took pictures along the way. Anyways, I thought I'd share my experience and make a DIY guide with pictures to help anyone out who wants to perform this mod. Here it is :

First we will start off with tools and supplies. There's nothing worse then having your truck torn apart then having to put it all back together just to drive to get tools and come back to do it all over again... happens to me too often

Tools & Supplies:

.24 gauge sheet metal (Print plan layouts, tape them together, and determine how much you will need to get)
.Tin snips
.Box Cutter
.Electrical Tape
.Rivet Gun w/Rivets
.Hand Grinder w/flap disk - 80 grit + (optional)
.Drill + Drill Bits
.Standard ratchet/wrench set
.Pliers
.Screw Drivers

1.) Print out plans on 8.5 X 11 Paper. Cut on grey lines. Tape together
*If you plan on painting the finished product. Wipe down all sheet metal with vinegar or some kind of solevent to get rid of the oily stuff that is on sheet metal. It prevents the paint from sticking correctly*
2.) Use electrical tape to keep the plans still on your sheet metal.

3.) Use your box knife to cut the solid and dotted (fold) lines of the paper. This leaves markings on the sheet metal for cutting.
4.) CAREFULLY cut out each layout with the tin snips. *Notice the CAREFULLY part - wear gloves! I have stitches from forgetting that step*

5.) Use Pliers (preferably ones with a large & flat head on it) to slowly bend each fold accordingly (almost all bends are 90*)

6.) Drill holes the size of your pop rivet heads through the two layers of sheet metal where you decide to secure the pieces together.
7.) Rivet all pieces together securely (Here is your initial box!)

8.) Remove your filter, battery, and battery mount.
9.) Place the box exactly where you will want it (you want your box pushed as far back as possible to ensure that you will have space for your filter when you replace your battery)
10.) Temporarily place your battery mount where it will be placed permanently and mark out holes for drilling through the box. Then Drill the holes.
11.) Place your custom box, replace your battery mount, bolt it down.

12.) Now you can replace your filter and your battery (replace filter first).
13.) Here is your final product before paint!

14.) After getting to this point I went ahead and punched through the Zoodad mod for air supply.
15.) Now that I knew it fit, I pulled it all out for paint and De-sharpening. I used a grinder with a flap disk to round the corners and dull down the edges.
16.) I then primered and painted both my box and my battery mount. I used primer, then semi gloss black, then clear coat.

17.) Use previously stated instructions to reinstall.

18.) I added an air ram tube that I custom made from some flexible gutter tubing. It worked great and fed right from the Zoodad into the box. This really helps!

And Here is the final product with the Pete's Filter Cover

These are great to keep the big stuff out and they really increase the longevity of your filter. It's a must have with the 6637. Customizable too! Check them out at

19.) Just for added effect, I painted my plastic engine cover to match.

Hope this helps everyone out ! ! Good luck ! !

Here is a link to the box plans. Thanks to whoever designed this thing !

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post5937371
Nice Job!!! Been kinda thinkin bout this myself!!! Gonna do it as soon as I get my In- Tank mod done!!! Rep's to ya!!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bulla
Nice looking. How's it performing?
Thanks. And it is performing excellent. Since my DP is set for a stock turbo, ive noticed that the tow tune works quite well with the turbonetics. I am surprised how great it runs on my tiny 130cc split shots. I am looking forward to dropping in my stage 2's and T-500. Then I will really be happy with the performance.

Quick Reply: How To DIY --> #6637 Intake Enclosure