Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My F100 Restore project

Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
WillsF100
Freshman User
So I've got a lot of work to do.

I'm new to the Forum and have many reasons for Joining. Inspiration, advice and companionship are probably top on the list for reasons.

Recently my wife and I went to being a single car family with out 16 month old daughter. That only lasted for a short time before we decided it was time to buy something I could drive back and forth to work.

It seemed like a newish truck(1990s-early 2000's) would be the best option. We researched some into replacement parts, mechanic fees, etc and found that it was ridiculous the amount of issues the later model trucks have given the more complex systems that have come out. With that in our thoughts, I set my mind on a old truck. It was something I could work on, something I could fix myself, something I could be proud of...sooner or later.

My knowledge of the background of this truck is farely limited, I recently purchased it from a guy who had it for about 6 months. His reason for selling was that his wife said it was to old for their 16 year old to drive. My intentions with this truck are strong, and pure. I only want a brand new 1974 F100. Not a tricked out, pimped out, lowriding machine. I want this to be a work truck. But one I can use with style. Who needs a Ford Lightning to enjoy the finer parts about a performance piece of machinery. This is what trucks were meant to be. The owner I bought it from had recently had the transmission rebuilt and new bushings put on the front springs which helps with the up-front cost of driving.

For the rest of the truck...well...thats a whole different story. The body is in relatively decent condition with a lot of rust in the bed. My plan is to alleviate that by replacing it with a nice piece of diamond plate to match a OEM diamondplate top bumber I found. I figure with the Black paint job I plan on re-doing this will look slick.

The person who owned it prior to the guy I bought it from apparently thought Spray Paint was a good idea so he painted the truck. I'm in the process of refinishing the aluminum Trim Pieces right now in hopes I will be able to re-use them(750.00$ for the set) Thats the most cost effective.

The Dash area is a complete nightmare. Wires going no where. Wires going to things that aren't hooked up. At this point the Oil pressure is the only gauge that actually works. I plan on re-doing the instrument panel at some point but am having problems finding a replacement, I've found the bezel, etc. but not the actual spedo,oil,batter,fuel gauge unit. Once i've replaced this I plan on getting a knew dash pad, Re-doing the interior door panels and having my wife(novice seamstress) to do the upholstery in a black and white leather.

The engine needs some work, I'm hoping to post pictures and have a couple people point out the things that aren't hooked up. Kind of like a game. It runs fine but I've found atleast 2 hoses that we're dry-rotted sitting in the cable trough on the backside of the engine compartment. Its also missing the manual choke cable for the carb. And a couple other things.

By this time, I'm sure you're done reading and have lost interest. Again my hopes are for inspiration, advice and companionship with people who enjoy the marvel of modern mechanics as much as I do. Thanks for reading, Drop me a line with ideas, advice or informative links to things that would help. Thanks

Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
Looks like you've got a good start for a project truck. My personal preference is to keep the stock while making a few performance mods.
My first suggestion would be to get a set of FACTORY manuals, not Chilton, not Haynes but FORD same with parts catalogs. These are available in the original paper version or on CD. You see them on E-bay quite often. Believe me, this will be the best investment you can make when starting this project.
One note and for you important. The electrical schematics do not come in the shop manuals, they are separate and must be purchased separatley.
For the CD version try www.hipoparts.com or you can find them on e-bay. I don't know if the electrical is available on CD or not, I got my schematics on e-bay.
There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here, if you get stuck or have a question about something just post it here and someone will have a good answer.
Good luck.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM
dakonthemountain
Elder User

Welcome to FTE! Mike is correct. The best information you can glean will be from the Ford factory manuals. They have proved invaluable to me as I have learned over the years working on my trucks.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Dak

Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
marcograms
Junior User
Even if you don't feel like you know a lot about these old trucks you will learn, especially as enthusiastic as you are. Ditto on the shop manuals. Mine came with the truck. There is almost nothing like the satisfaction you get from driving a truck that you repaired or fixed up yourself. Once you start researching and reading you'll find yourself up late sometimes. That truck will clean up pretty fast once you get started. Mine makes me cuss sometimes but I really enjoy working on it nonetheless.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
WillsF100
Freshman User
Thanks

I appreciate it greatly guys, I'm new to the mechanic stuff, But as you said, Anyone can learn. I was actually about to purchase one of the haynes manuals. Factory sounds like a better choice though. I'm new to the whole field, But work in a pretty technical environment so I figure I can pick up pretty quickly with the right reading material. Thanks for the pointers, I'll post pictures as I come across things that boggle the mind.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 PM
TNVOL
Junior User
Welcome to FTE! There's a great bunch of folks here who have plenty of knowledge about these old trucks. Sounds like you have a gameplan in mind, keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM
nathan69-360
Freshman User
I had the exact same problem with the wiring in mine, to say the least it was a nightmare,
I just started tracing wires back, pulled the lights out to check what wiring was there to try and match it up,
what I ended up doing was just slowly replacing all the wiring myself, that way I knew what went where,
and I knew I didn't have any wires grounding out anywhere, or rubbed to the point the sheathing was gone,
burnt etc..., the steering column was a bit tricky.

Last edited by nathan69-360; 08-02-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: make it easier to read without scrolling over
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by WillsF100
I'll post pictures as I come across things that boggle the mind.
Be prepared! One of the worst things that could ever happen to any of these trucks is the previous owner (PO). In fact there is a thread here, "rants of previous owners" it's pretty hilarious. It's all about what dumb **s things previous owners have done to butcher....er, uh...repair the trucks. Remember, owning a dentside, its not just a job, its an adventure.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
nathan69-360
Freshman User
well said mike, thats why I ended up just starting over with mine, after the previous owners had butchered up all the wiring, I just couldn't see the original wiring diagrams doing much good 40 years later.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
You said about getting new parts for your dash. You can order new pieces for it from LMC or another Repro place, but instead of spending a fortune you should look in a junkyards for many of the parts you will need.
As for the chrome polishing when your arms fall off you should check into this Forum to help with it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...dent-trim.html
Good luck and ask anything you need, lots a smart people here.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM
WillsF100
Freshman User
Gauge panel w/ Speedo and Odometer

What is the piece called technically? its 1 unit, has the Speedo cable input on the back along with the wiring harness for the rest of the gauges. I need the whole unit, The circuit board on the back of mine has completely deteriorated away, Is this something I'll have to have a technician deal with? or can I get away with ordering a refurb model with random mileage on the odometer? I dont really care about the reading on the odometer, I just need everything else to work.

Speedo doesn't work
Volt meter doesnt work
Gas Gauge doesn't work
all the holes for the Light bulbs are broken.

I need the whole unit, Its 1 piece I believe but other than ripping one of a truck in a junk yard that may have the same problems, I'd like to buy new. Any suggestions? i've looked the LMC but can't find the entire unit.

I figured I would start at the beginning of the chain (the head unit) and then work my way back to each of the gauge sensors 1 by 1 until ive got everything working. Figured once I get the new dash unit. I'll pull the old one out and deal with the Fubard wiring then as well

Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
dakonthemountain
Elder User

Its called a gauge cluster. Up until 1977 they were made of a material that tended to crumble over time. After that they changed the material. that said, you can purchase a new one. I got mine from a guy back east that is no longer in business. Other folks on this board will know where you can get one now I'm sure.

Also, don't assume your gauges are bad though until you try them in the new circuit board. No use wasting money if you don't have to on new ones!

Good luck!
Dak

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
WillsF100
Freshman User
Dash Cluster

So it is modular, I found the break out of all the pieces, Good God a Speedometer is expensive as ****. 550.00 bucks for real? Brand new yeah but still.

I think i'm going to order the circuit board for the back first and start there. Hopefully the gauges will kick on after that.

LMC has the speedo for sale but not the other gauges.

I will keep looking. thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to FTE first of all. You have a perfect project truck. Very similar to mine.

I am having similar issues with my wiring, but luckily, I have friends in high places!

I keep saying this, but I think tonight is the night... I'm going to post up a picture of the diagram of what the wiring for the entire truck should look like (factory diagram) and a picture of the factory gauge cluster.

Since I'm sort of paused on wiring for my truck, but you're working away at yours, I may as well share my information with you (unless that's not allowed on FTE, but I don't think so).

Anyways, goodluck and welcome!

Quick Reply: My F100 Restore project