1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hard times in northern california, considering maybe letting 60 crew cab go

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:36 PM
kashmcoll
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard times in northern california, considering maybe letting 60 crew cab go

I have never seen the housing construction so bad here in the redding area.I am a licensed contractor, c-6 cabinet maker/ installer. Been in business since 2004. 04 through 07 were great years, alot of building going on here. This last year especially has been very brutal.
I absolutly love My old crew cab, never wanted to get rid of it, but am beginning to see no other way to survive finantially, than to sale it.
I wonder what some of You out there might think? I know that once its gone , I can probably never replace it. Its in great running condition, drove it to burney and back down through hat creek a few weekends ago, approx.125 miles. AC on high all the way.It really cruises nice. Im really hating how things are going with construction in this area, and am down to My last few toys that I worked so hard for, to sale to survive.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
willymakeit
Tuned
It is rough in the const. industry. Is there something else that your making payments on that can be disposed of ? Sometimes there is not any other way out . Do what you have to do support your family first. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I can feel your pain, my business is in the dump too. I finally got a few good jobs in but I have to use the money to pay for the last two months of having nothing. Just barely hanging in. I have my toys still but barely. One I try to drive as often as possible the other is sitting in the garage with a bad tranny.

The worst part for a person with disposable assets is there's fewer people out there with disposable incomes. I've been collecting Bonus Built parts for over 20 years and have accumulated quite a collection but even though I could use the money I won't sell unless I really have to. I tested the waters when business started to really die and listed some parts on eBay. Two years ago I would have gotten 2-3 bidders driving the price up, this time I got one bidder for each item and got 50% of what I would have two years ago.

If you can try to hang in there. I'd be afraid you wouldn't be able to get what your truck is really worth. It'd be real painful to have to give it away just to get a few bucks. As willymakeit asked, is there any family you could seek help from? I know that's not an easy choice but maybe there's some help there.

The end of the tunnel may look far away but hopefully things will start to turn around in November. If nothing else, maybe we can stop the spending frenzy our great leader and his comrades have be doing for the last year and a half. They are bankrupting this country. I have come to the conclusion they are doing it on purpose, why I don't really know.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:11 PM
kashmcoll
Junior User
Yes, In July 2007 I purchased a brand new chevy Duramax/allison 4x4 silverado. Business was going very well at the time, and it has been a very good work truck. The payments on it are high, and the old ford is paid for, Just dont know how it would do as a work truck. I have a 7x14 work trailor that i tow to job sites

Old 07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't know the capacities of your old Ford but if it's a crew cab I'd think it's a pretty sturdy heavy truck. It might be able to haul the trailer but you'll end up wearing it out faster but these trucks were made to work. If you only would have to use it until things go better maybe it wouldn't be so bad. You have one slight advantage over me when using our trucks, the weather. I couldn't use it all year round. My dad did when it was a work truck but with our winters here and the we throw salt by the ton on our streets my old truck would be a crumbling mess in a year or two.

Hang in there, we'll all make it.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM
kashmcoll
Junior User
Thank You bob,
It definetly could tow a work trailor, has a good hitch and wiring harness system. may need trailor brake set up. the problem at the moment is that we have been averaging about 99 degrees for the last few months with no end in sight. the truck will get hot if stopping light to light