Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 flathead questions

Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
ssj7kids is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ssj7kids is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2 flathead questions

My Flattie is finally back together and on the dyno....

Two questions:
1) I have a triple deuce carb setup, and the generator is offset to the passenger side. However, the belt going from the generator down to the drivers side water pump is now in the way of the fan...????
Anyone have a picture or any suggestions?

2) Obviously the wiring on the dyno setup is VERY BASIC..... very little to trouble shoot... BUT, our spark is VERY VERY weak.... baby wouldn't even start. Put it on an MSD and it started without even looking at it... tried two different coils... but the spark is barely visible.... Just doesn't make sense... scratching our heads...

Thanks in advance....

Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Mervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to beholdMervy49 is a splendid one to behold
that little silver looking tin thing on a bracket I think it's called a (condenser) could that be the problem? I haven't dealt with points and condensors for many years but seems to me in those days it was a consideration.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Wiring the coil backwards will cause a weak spark. Adding an MSD would push enough juice through everything to overcome that. It's something to check.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
larryb346
Elder User
larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.larryb346 has a good reputation on FTE.
Not sure how basic your set up is. If it's still 6 volt be sure your coils are non resister types. You should have 6 volts at start and if you have a outside resister it will drop to 3 volts shortly.
Double check your point setting and be sure they are not open too much. Not sure of the year engine but if is dual point both sets have to be pretty close the correct setting to fire correctly.
The condenser has to be correct for your engine. There are a lot of different micro fab condensers and if is the wrong one it can kill your fire.
It's been many years since I ran a 3/2 setup but if I am remembering right with the offset gen bracket there has to be a pulley on the other side down lower to keep the belt out of the fan, but that's going back maybe 30 years so could very easily be wrong on that one.
Good luck

Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
It sounds like you are running narrow belts? I think the offset gens are used with wide belt. Also, if you are running the truck fan with big hub, that could cause a problem. Car fans use a sealed bearing that is much smaller.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 PM
racear
New User
racear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reply to Let U know where we are

Not to go around Steve, but I am the person that Steve is speaking of. He has been of great help to me thru asking questions when I needed them asked on this forumn but this is probably best so we all can speak. Yes I have converted to 12 volts. The coil is 12v and so is the condenser. I have replaced the points and condenser twice just to remove that possibility. As I replaced the condenser it did help the voltage but was still unable to fire. I then rewired just to use the points as a vehicle to make and break the MSD circuit and every thing is fine. Unbelievable fire at the plug and engine fired on demand. Went back to points and condenser and would not fire again. I have spent very little time diagnosing the problem as I wanted the engine to fire immediately so that I did not loose the camshaft. Now that I have it running, I can spend a little more time doing diagnostics. On the pulley, it does hit right in the middle of the pulley. Cannot correct by going up or down. Here I do need help as this is the first I have done. I have loved doing the engine. First one I have played with in 30 years. Thanks to a friend in Steve letting me do this. Now I have a 32 model to do
racear
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Ten out of seven of the condensors sold now are bad - it's a big thing at swap meets and auctions to buy up every one of the NOS ones you can find - beware the seller that wants to keep the "old" box - they will just refill it with junk.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 PM
jb50F1
Senior User
jb50F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently had a similar problem - good voltage at the coil but no/weak spark because the amperage was too low due to a bad connection. Before switching out anything, make sure all of the connections are clean and tight and the wires are not bad. The MSD throws a loop for me, no experience. If the truck is still positive ground even though 12 Volts, the coil should have the positive terminal to the points.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
With an MSD, I don't think you are supposed to use a condenser; from their tech support forum:

"-point triggers probably don't like or need the condenser in there-----and probably should be checked at race rpm at least one time to get an idea of what's really going on at those elevated rpms."

Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM
racear
New User
racear is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do not plan on leaving the MSD hooked up to the system as that will defeat the purpose. I just went thru all my "OLD" stuff and found an Accel distributor that has dual points and I am removing the condensors. Have tested them and they are good. I checked both to see if they can and do hold a charge. I charged them and touched them and peayed on myself and then charged and handed to a dumb friend and he peayed on himself so they gotta be good, right?. It may be damaged where he threw it down. Will have to see. HeHeHe
But one thing I do know, this is a testament to how well an MSD system can step up a system. We normally fire every thing on my dyno thru an MSD system just for this reason.
racear
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.