Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Window Tinting Help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's registered in Washington. That's where I usually live. I am here in Montana for work. So I think I'll be able to bend the rules a little bit. Get them tinted to MT standards and then go back to Washington. I'll even have the Certification sticker on the tint when I go back so I doubt I'll be questioned.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
firemaster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in Delaware and I'm sure the laws are different. I have a tint waiver so I can run mine legal. I have 20% and the rear side windows and 5% limo on the front ones. I think it matches pretty close. The rear window is not tinted any darker than original for backing at night.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=KH85;9159111]Yes I have always got mine done from a local guy in washington. He will tell you when you get it done that it is illegal and you have to sign a waiver thing to let him off the hook.
Wonder if you can get him to rob a bank for you, if you sign a waiver? LOL

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
i would post a pic but my comp in messed up and wont let me but mine are 2.5% all the way around and my windshield is 2.5% and its about 5 inches below the little numbers in the top right on the pass side

Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
goldman
Junior User
Maybe I can share my 2cents, I had my windows tinted dark for security purposes (live in Honduras) as well as my windshield with a very lightly tinted reflective type material (no laws here about tinting . It was cool, you could not see in at all and kept the truck cool. Around town it was a little hard to see at night, but with street lights and all it was still possible. One night I was driving down the highway at around 45 mph and suddenly there was something in the road. ABS worked fine, but the next day I had the windshield tinting removed. My time to react was reduced way to much, it wasn't even raining. Note I had silverstar and the headlight relay kit, still not worth the windshield tinting in my opinion. Good luck on the side ones though.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
my front window is tinted down 10 and a half inches or so i just measured it. if you go really dark its hard to see our of at night but once you get used to it its not too bad unless you have lights under your dash or something and then it will reflect the lights and you cant see out of them at all. Knock on wood ive never had anyone say anything about how dark mine are but depending on were you live you might want to follow the tint laws

Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

20 over 5 percent on the back and all four sides, 50% on the windshield with a brow. You can't see in. at all.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
[quote=PowerstrokeJunkie;9160714] You can't see in. at all.
/quote]
And I would take a ton of money out of your pocket. There is a reason for that law and it has nothing to do with your convenience, it has to do with officer safety. I like you Kris but I would wear your pocketbook out. This job I have is tough enough without worrying about what I cannot see. Dieing ain't much of a living.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Oh, im courteous as i can be about it, i put all my windows 3/4 of the way down so you can even see they are dark, and turn the interior light on at night if i was pulled over. Did it once, and got a warning (12 over) but officer said nothing about tint, at night

Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Having just registered my truck in the "college town" of which you speak, i will tell you they do not inspect what-so-ever. also after living here for a year i can tell you that there are numerous cars running around with limo tint, not saying they dont get tickets, but i dont think the cops here are too worried about that. just be smart, during the day if your rolling around and see a cop, roll your window down. I have always been taught if you get pulled over the first thing you do is roll down your window so that the cop can see inside your vehicle. Of course that is growing up in CA where the cops tend to be a little bit more on edge when stopping vehicles. I think your fine to tint as dark as you want, just dont dumb about it, and recognize the risk you are taking by going super dark

Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie
Oh, im courteous as i can be about it, i put all my windows 3/4 of the way down so you can even see they are dark, and turn the interior light on at night if i was pulled over. Did it once, and got a warning (12 over) but officer said nothing about tint, at night
I know Kris, you are not really who the law is aimed at. I cannot tell you how many drug dealers with spiffy cars and dark windows I come across. It sucks approaching that driver side window when you cannot see chit inside. Who knows when an a-hole in the back is going to blow you away.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Exactly, you have ***** to do a job i could not. Least i can do is prevent that thought from running through that particular officers mind.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie
Exactly, you have ***** to do a job i could not. Least i can do is prevent that thought from running through that particular officers mind.
Good for you. Remember folks, tint laws are usually for officer safety. Nothing more. Most of the time at night with legal tint you cannot see anything inside. You want to do my job?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 AM
firemaster
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Good for you. Remember folks, tint laws are usually for officer safety. Nothing more. Most of the time at night with legal tint you cannot see anything inside. You want to do my job?
This is the second reason I didnt tint my back window any darker. Plus if I get pulled over I also roll my windows down so they can see in my mirrors as well. I would like to tint my front window but its not an option. My hats off to you sir for putting your life on the line to do your work.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to go with the 20% all around. None on the windshield. If I'm spending good money on headlighst and visibility, why tint the windshield? Then I would have to use my brights if its too dark and that would definitely blind some people once I got my HID's. If I ever do tint my windshield It'll be pretty lightly, just for glare. Once again, does anyone know what the stock tint is on the back window? Or if it is privacy glass, what % it is comparable to. I like being able to see when I back up but I am also somewhat of a perfectionist for things being proportionate. So it looks like if I get 20% on the drivers and backs, I'll have to tint my rear to match. I suppose that will just force me to buy a head ache rack and get some back up lights ha.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting Help !