Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

ford vs toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 02:32 AM
johnorser
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford vs toyota

All I have to say on the subject is this:my buddy purchased one of the new tundras and wanted to know how it pulled so we went camping/fishing and we hooked up my Bayliner to his Toyota,and we packed our families up in our vehicles.He pulled fine on the highway,but really lacked on the county roads with the switchbacks and hills.at a reststop we put all of his material things in my truck so all he was pulling was the boat and he did good,even managed to back the boat into the water.The true test came when we pulled the boat out for the night,his truck wouldn't do it and we had to go get my truck to pull it out.His Toyota smelled really bad.I'm not impressed that any v8 couldn't pull my 3000 pound boat out,sure the ramp was steep due to low water,but still.I had to walk 2.5 miles and pull it out with my 79 Ford 400.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:48 PM
bigk300
Junior User
ford vs toyota

im just wondering how these engines will hold up i used to work at a toyota dealership a few years ago as a do boy in 1995 and the service department had tons of land crusiers in there with the engines on the floor and new crate engines going in if this is a sign of toyota quality it leaves me skeptical

the toyota v6's wouldnt hold up very well under alot of off road use do to the close tolerances in the engine i wonder if its the same with the v8's

no doubt that toyota makes a great car but can they make a great work truck that can handle regular daily abuse that a full size american truck can handle and do it for years

just questions to ponder

-Kevin

Old 02-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ford vs toyota

NO

Old 02-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Domenic
Freshman User
ford vs toyota

I would never recommend a import truck for a work truck, but the majority of pickup buyers don,t need a Super duty. I don't need a Superduty, but I bought one. If your going to buy a compact pickup, the Toyota's the best. Americans build the best fullsize pickup, just enjoy what you drive

Old 03-07-2003, 08:07 PM
pbartlett15comcast
New User
Thumbs up ford vs toyota

I've been a loyal Ford Guy all my life 1st expirence was in 1969 with a 1966 f100 352 3spd on the colum Iwas 5 mydad was driving and he got the old ford up to 100mph and still had over 1/2 way to go to the floor on the foot feed,the old truck never failed to start .that may be a believer in Ford .2yearsa ago my wife and i purchase a Ford Taurus pretty nice car better than a GM product and diffinently better than a chrysler product,but the service from the ford dealer was pathetic.So when I went to buy a new truck retired 1968 f100 (gimpy) I purchased a Toyota Tacoma extra cab,2.4 liter 5 spd sr5 , gets 30 mpg in town or on the highway,very happy with it.I did think very long about the ranger but in my line of work (I do extended service contracts for cars) we see alot more rangers , trans problems,rear end problems,and transfer case problems ,that it made me decide on the Toyota Tacoma ,thanks for listening

Old 03-08-2003, 09:17 AM
shane7209
Senior User
ford vs toyota

Being a Ford F-150 owner I was surprised to be given a Ford Ranger 4 door for a company truck in Mexico. I have used it for four months on the current project I am involved in. It has held up very well. So being a truck nut I have noticed several things down there. The Chevy full size are not liked much. The Toyos are almost none existent. What the locals tell me they prefer the F-150, Ranger and the Nissan. They say they hold up better. And believe me the driving conditions were we go are BAD. Interesting note my Ranger was imported from Argentina

Old 03-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User
ford vs toyota

Originally posted by V8toilet
It seems that some of the comments here are a little biased and that the authors of some of these posts are a little misinformed maybe?
Ford and Toyota are really international companies now. Your Ford may actually have just as many foreign parts in it as my Toyota does. Some Dodges are made in Mexico and some Chevy's are made in Canada. The Toyota Tundra is made in Princeton Indiana and Toyota is building a plant in San Antonio Texas too. Toyota employs a lot of Americans and that is very good for our economy.
That's wishful thinking. I can look under the hood of my Ford trucks and virtually every marked part is made in the USA. I look under the hood of my wife's Ford Focus and many of the parts are from off-shore manufacturers. If you look under the hood of ANY Toyota you see "Made in Japan" or "Nippondenso" on *everything*. I've looked at the content labels on Toyota trucks, and regardless of where they are assembled, their content is 80% made in Japan, exactly the opposite of Ford trucks.
Whether it's important to the American economy and consumer or not, the fact remains that Ford trucks (which is what this thread is about) have a heck of a lot more American-made content than Toyota trucks do.

My Tundra averages 15.5 MPG in the winter and 17.5 MPG in the summer mixed driving with a best ever 21 MPG on the highway going 68 mph with cruise control. My worst to date is 14.5 MPG.
Not exactly bragging rights. That's exactly the mileage I get with my '02 F-250 PSD, which is a far more capable truck than the Tundra. It'll out-tow, out-haul and suck the doors off one in a mano-y-mano, as the impatient driver of a very pretty black Tundra noted just this afternoon after tailgaiting me on the freeway just outside of Denver and then tried to whip around to cut in front of me.

Tundras are seemingly very popular around here, and they offer the advantage of having a bed that's very easy to reach into and load. But so are Land Rovers, which are mostly used by middle-aged women with Big Hair to commute to shopping malls in.

I'm not a stupid or blind buy-American-at-all-cost person; but I will buy American given a choice between comparable products. My wife may very well buy a Honda CR-V next, it's a seemingly better small SUV than the Escape is. But I see very little practical reason to go with any Japanese pickup truck over a Ford.
---------------------------------

2002 F-250 S/Cab Short Bed PSD 4x4. SCMT, AFE Magnum intake, Magnaflow 4" exhaust.
1996 F-250 S/Cab Long Bed 460. E4OD auto, 4.10 posi, Air-Lift suspension, K&N filter in modified intake box, modified ignition advance curve, Edelbrock 2x61 mm throttle body, L&L 4 into 1 headers, milled heads, 3" exhaust system, cat & Flowmaster 70, modified MAF meter. 7,700 lbs GVW, 5,700 lbs empty.
{E\...F}

Old 03-08-2003, 11:10 PM
V8toilet
Freshman User
ford vs toyota

Originally posted by Paarrothead
That's wishful thinking. I can look under the hood of my Ford trucks and virtually every marked part is made in the USA. I look under the hood of my wife's Ford Focus and many of the parts are from off-shore manufacturers. If you look under the hood of ANY Toyota you see "Made in Japan" or "Nippondenso" on *everything*. I've looked at the content labels on Toyota trucks, and regardless of where they are assembled, their content is 80% made in Japan, exactly the opposite of Ford trucks.
Whether it's important to the American economy and consumer or not, the fact remains that Ford trucks (which is what this thread is about) have a heck of a lot more American-made content than Toyota trucks do.

Not exactly bragging rights. That's exactly the mileage I get with my '02 F-250 PSD, which is a far more capable truck than the Tundra. It'll out-tow, out-haul and suck the doors off one in a mano-y-mano, as the impatient driver of a very pretty black Tundra noted just this afternoon after tailgaiting me on the freeway just outside of Denver and then tried to whip around to cut in front of me.

Tundras are seemingly very popular around here, and they offer the advantage of having a bed that's very easy to reach into and load. But so are Land Rovers, which are mostly used by middle-aged women with Big Hair to commute to shopping malls in.

I'm not a stupid or blind buy-American-at-all-cost person; but I will buy American given a choice between comparable products. My wife may very well buy a Honda CR-V next, it's a seemingly better small SUV than the Escape is. But I see very little practical reason to go with any Japanese pickup truck over a Ford.
---------------------------------

2002 F-250 S/Cab Short Bed PSD 4x4. SCMT, AFE Magnum intake, Magnaflow 4" exhaust.
1996 F-250 S/Cab Long Bed 460. E4OD auto, 4.10 posi, Air-Lift suspension, K&N filter in modified intake box, modified ignition advance curve, Edelbrock 2x61 mm throttle body, L&L 4 into 1 headers, milled heads, 3" exhaust system, cat & Flowmaster 70, modified MAF meter. 7,700 lbs GVW, 5,700 lbs empty.
{E\...F}
Ahhhh you have a Diesel! You have a totally different truck in a different class. The Tundra is more comparable to the Ford F-150 with the 4.6-liter engine and even the 5.4. I'd like to see you try passing a TRD supercharged Tundra or a Twin Turbocharged Tundra. Judging by the modifications you have I hope you were able to accelerate faster than that Tundra. Try comparing that beast to a Duramax Diesel. I raced one at the drag strip the one and only time I went and the Chevy wasted me with a 14.3 second quarter mile compared to my 15.5 and his truck weighs about 6000 lbs. too. Impressive!

Old 03-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User
ford vs toyota

Ahhhh you have a Diesel! You have a totally different truck in a different class. The Tundra is more comparable to the Ford F-150 with the 4.6-liter engine and even the 5.4. I'd like to see you try passing a TRD supercharged Tundra or a Twin Turbocharged Tundra. Judging by the modifications you have I hope you were able to accelerate faster than that Tundra. Try comparing that beast to a Duramax Diesel. I raced one at the drag strip the one and only time I went and the Chevy wasted me with a 14.3 second quarter mile compared to my 15.5 and his truck weighs about 6000 lbs. too. Impressive!
A Tundra equipped the same way as my S/Cab PSD 4x4 would sell for around $30K, wouldn't it, not a whole heck of a lot different than I paid for my truck in late '02 with the year-end Ford incentives. Toyota never wants to discount their sticker prices very much. So yes, they are a different class of vehicle, but my point remains relavent, I've got one hell of a lot more capable, and quicker *truck* than the Tundra and paid a not terribly dis-similar price. If Toyota can sell a diesel 3/4 ton pickup for less than $35K that'll tow my12,000 pound 5er up the side of a mountain at 75 MPH, I'll even look at one someday.

As far as whether a Duramax is quicker in the 1/4 than my mildly modified PSD, it's irrelavent to this discussion. There isn't any *stock* Duramax that turns low-14s, anyway. It's all weight vs. horsepower, and the Fords, Dodge and Chevy diesels are all very capable of being extensively modified. Want to win at the track? How much money you got?

If you want to compare a stone-stock '03 PSD to the Chevy and Dodge '03 diesels, it's already been done. While they're all lvery capable trucks, the independent reviews indicate the new Fords pull harder, faster and generally get superb mileage, so I don't feel too bad about my brand loyalty in the performance department.

I'd guess that my PSD is doing around 350 HP-700 ft/lbs right now and it weighs 6,600 lbs. I do think it would be interesting to run it against a 330 HP turbo Tundra in a short drag, I'd have the torque advantage but at a maybe 1-ton weight disadvantage for the F-250, it's probably academic...But as I mentioned, it's fast enough for everyday combat driving, if need be.

If you want to compare the turbo Tundras to the F-150 go-fast Lightnings, that would be the valid comparison. Feel free to place a bet on whether a $33,000 2002 ~400 HP Ford F-150 Lightning or the 500 HP '03 version will beat a similarly-priced 330 HP turbo Tundra or not...And once the mods hit the market, we'll be seeing some 500+ HP, 900+ ft/lb 6.0L Ford PSDs on the streets, too. Navistar's already seen 600 HP out of their test engines during development. Hee-yah!

I thnk a good question would be, why did you buy a Tundra when you could have gotten a similarly-equipped full-sized Ford pickup for the same price? You don't have to justify your decision to me or anyone else, but I am curious.

Best,

-Bill

------------------------------

002 F-250 S/Cab Short Bed PSD 4x4. SCMT, AFE Magnum intake, Magnaflow 4" exhaust.
{E\...F}

Old 03-09-2003, 10:07 AM
V8toilet
Freshman User
ford vs toyota

I paid $23,000 for a loaded SR5 Tundra with 2WD. At the time I could have gotten a similarly equipped 4*4 version for ~ $25,000. My friend bought his top of the line Limited for ~ $27,000. At the time I was looking at Ford and Chevy they all seemed similarly priced for comparable models. Although the Super Duty PSD is an awesome truck I wouldn't want or need such a large truck even if I could get it for around the same price. It's just too big and I know because my step farther has the V10 version! I like the size of the Tundra and it fits my need better.

If I wanted to have a fast vehicle I wouldn’t bother with a truck I would get a second vehicle like a small sports car and modify that. When I went to the track I went with a friend who had a Supercharged Tundra. I only raced my truck out of curiosity of how well I would do stock. There are like I said people out there that modify Tundra’s. Here is an example of a twin turbocharged Tundra that puts down ~ 600 rear wheel horsepower.

With a race preped engine it can be tuned for more than 900 rear wheel horsepower just like this Celica with the same engine.

And here is what the kit looks like.

This guy also can tune a TRD supercharged Tundra to put down over 500 rear wheel horsepower from just 4.7-liters of displacement in a lighter truck.

Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User
ford vs toyota

That's amazing aftermarket stuff for the Tundra. I had no idea.

Is there some reason why someone couldn't put twin turbos and $thousands worth of performance mods on a 500 HP Lightning or 6.8 V-10 to squeeze a few hundred more ponies out of them?

Although in any case, there isn't much utility as a truck there.
It's all a matter of tradeoffs.

Yes, if I wanted fast, I'd drive a car, too.

Yes, the Tundra definitely fits into a size niche and I'm glad you like yours.

Old 03-09-2003, 11:29 AM
V8toilet
Freshman User
ford vs toyota

Originally posted by Paarrothead

Is there some reason why someone couldn't put twin turbos and $thousands worth of performance mods on a 500 HP Lightning or 6.8 V-10 to squeeze a few hundred more ponies out of them?

Not to my knowledge!

Old 03-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
ford vs toyota

I am 100% sure that if somebody smacked twin turbos on either ford engine that it would kick the pants off of any toyota, don't forget that it can cost in upwards of $50,000 to put 900 horsepower in a Celica.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:32 PM
V8toilet
Freshman User
ford vs toyota

Originally posted by mattsbox99
I am 100% sure that if somebody smacked twin turbos on either ford engine that it would kick the pants off of any toyota, don't forget that it can cost in upwards of $50,000 to put 900 horsepower in a Celica.
Personal Insult removed by Administration

Last edited by V8toilet; 03-09-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
ford vs toyota

-edited for content by moderator-

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-09-2003 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: ford vs toyota