Computer Chips & Tuners  

Edge programmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 AM
mttbuzzard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tex I got that SCT tuner (that you suggested) and have been using it since Dec. It works very well with only a few exceptions. One is that here in Montana where we have below zero temps, none of the stragey tunes will fire up and run at -20 degrees. So it means that I have to start the truck and warm it up then turn it off, load the tune and then start and drive. This works if I am going on the road and it did improve my mpg by 4 1/2 mpg to 19 on the road running at 75 mph. In town is another matter. Too much power and even though I am no longer a teen trying to lay rubber from one stop light to the next (which it will do and then some) It is very tough to beat the stock mpg in the city.
Anyhow that being said "Thank You" for suggesting that tuner it works and works very well right down to the "Jake Brake" for towing. I am going to sell the Ford and buy a Chevy though as the ride and drivability of the Ford "Sucks" I have now been reminded why I quit driving Ford's 20 ++ years ago.
But again thank you for the information as it led to purchase of the SCT tuner that actually performed as advertised. I'm not totally sure if I will keep the tuner for the Chevy or sell it. First I need to sell the Ford, Then find a Duramax that I can afford and see how it works with it. Or of course sell it with the Ford.
My thought is "Why doesn't Ford wake up and smell the coffee and arrange at least some of these tunes or modifications right into the trucks. Every HD truck whould be about to push a button and get that Jake Brake I understand the power options as it would affect the emissions but I am sure they could give you some type of programming stock that would help the lousy fuel mileage.
Thanks again Tex.... When I get the Chevy and know what I have to work with I will give you a holler.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mttbuzzard
Hey Tex I got that SCT tuner (that you suggested) and have been using it since Dec. It works very well with only a few exceptions. One is that here in Montana where we have below zero temps, none of the stragey tunes will fire up and run at -20 degrees. So it means that I have to start the truck and warm it up then turn it off, load the tune and then start and drive.
I've had some cold weather issues with the SCT device itself, but nothing like what you are talking about. Both places that I divide my time to can have some decent winter spells, but nothing like that. My blood is too thin to handle that kind of cold.

This works if I am going on the road and it did improve my mpg by 4 1/2 mpg to 19 on the road running at 75 mph. In town is another matter. Too much power and even though I am no longer a teen trying to lay rubber from one stop light to the next (which it will do and then some) It is very tough to beat the stock mpg in the city.
Matt(Spartan now) had a Stock+ tune, which was basically his winter tune, but it also did very well(I think). It might have really helped with the cold weather issues mentioned above with the tunes.

Anyhow that being said "Thank You" for suggesting that tuner it works and works very well right down to the "Jake Brake" for towing. I am going to sell the Ford and buy a Chevy though as the ride and drivability of the Ford "Sucks" I have now been reminded why I quit driving Ford's 20 ++ years ago.
That would put you around the 6.9 IDI era I think(my first diesel truck and my grandfather's last). That would rattle the teeth outta your head for sure, but all in all it wasn't a bad truck. I guess since it was the first one it'll always have a place in my heart.

But again thank you for the information as it led to purchase of the SCT tuner that actually performed as advertised. I'm not totally sure if I will keep the tuner for the Chevy or sell it. First I need to sell the Ford, Then find a Duramax that I can afford and see how it works with it. Or of course sell it with the Ford.
If you can stay away from the 02-03 ones, if I recall correctly the contractor that I had that did additions to my home (who was a die hard chevy fan, but only had gassers up until that point) had it less then 6 months before he got rid of it. Sold it to one of the framer subs that he used(maybe still does for all I know) and last time I saw that sub, about 2 yrs ago, he still had it, but he was complaining about it.

My thought is "Why doesn't Ford wake up and smell the coffee and arrange at least some of these tunes or modifications right into the trucks. Every HD truck whould be about to push a button and get that Jake Brake I understand the power options as it would affect the emissions but I am sure they could give you some type of programming stock that would help the lousy fuel mileage.

It takes awhile for things to get to trucks in the first place, then some producers are just slower to adapt then others.

But also keep in mind with stock tuning, it has to fit a very broad range of drivers, the joy of custom tuning is that you can tweak it to your own way of doing things. Something that would be cost prohibitive for Ford to do on their scale.

I would also imagine that there would be some that wouldn't want the Jake Brake option either. There tends to be a new demographic of truck owners out there and it's less of those that need the truck for a variety of reasons, but more about those that want a truck, which is why you have more creature comforts then some of the other things that would fit roughnecks.

Thanks again Tex.... When I get the Chevy and know what I have to work with I will give you a holler.
Always glad to help and always willing to try to continue to help as well.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
no1 pappy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eadge evoloution

programed eveloution toe program into truck yeasterday sure like the way the truck preforms now hope i dont hurt it love that ol truck 96 f250 e40d 4x4 315.000 miles

Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PwrHngry
In regards to the DashDaq, the device itself isn't a tuner but the source code is open source and anyone that has a mind to can create a programming interface for it. I was just using it as an example of what is on the horizon. There are other devices (I've been testing) that will be coming out soon that are going to be just as interesting.

Anyway, if there's anything else you care to know about the Evolution, let me know.

Have a great weekend.
This thread is a bit old but I could use some insight into the edge evo. R U still up for it for a fellow georgian, (Sharpsburg). Here's the deal. I came by the edge racing evo ( model 15500) at a great price and bought it without due diligence. The truck is a 2008 F350 6.4L. My intent was to get rid of the DPF, get a mild tune for daily driving and to tow my 17,000 lb 5th wheel in STOCK tune. As it turns out the daily driving tune, number 1 (35HP/150 lbs) seems to be working great, a good bit more power and response and no problems with shifting or driving that I can feel. However, the programming in the Edge will not Allow me to tow in stock/ DPF deleted. I swapped a couple emails with the edge teckkies and they say I can't tow in stock/delete and that I should tow in tune number 2 (50HP/165 lbs).

Problem is I've heard so much about the tranny problems with the Edge and the R110 tranny that I'm spooked. I also have concern with the EGTs while towing that heavy in a tune. Plus on one of the Edge vendor's web sites it stated to tow on number 2 but also stated that was limited to towing 12,000 lbs, which of course I'm well above. I'm reluctant to hook up and tow until I'm more comfortable I'm not gonna tear up a 5000 buck tranny. You sound like a knowledgable guy on this subject and I would like to hear your opinion. Also, you mention custom tuning the evo, how does one go about that and would it be worth the effort and cost? I would gladly pay for a heavy towing tune. My manual has just a very brief sentence that seems to say I can custom tune it, but doesn't tell me who or how. I really like this tuner and would hate to pay 1250 bucks for a spartan with 14 tunes that I would never use just so I could tow in stock/delete. What are your thoughts? Thanks

On edit, I now realize you are a for profit enterprise. i have joined your forum and written a pretty similar post. i am interested in updating the Evo, if it's possible.

Last edited by StanleyZ; 09-18-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: update