Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

lightning engine in a bonus built

Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
lightning engine in a bonus built

Has anyone ever put a 5.4 lightning engine in a 48-52 f1? Just curious if this could be done.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
lvin4jc
Posting Guru
lvin4jc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lvin4jc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sure it can, why not?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Most anything can be made to work. It depends on how much effort you want to expend to make it happen. The 5.4 is a wide engine, so probably worse-case, you might need to modify the inner fender panels. The other hard part would be exhaust around the steering box.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM
OK F1
Senior User
OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Great Idea!

A supercharged F1! How could anything be cooler? 380 HP, 12 MPG, and a new set of tires every 3 months, I say go for it!

I'm planning on doing the same thing! I'm gonna do the whole Lightning theme also, SVT seats, 2001 Lightning Wheels, Custom F-1/Lightning Badges...

Nothing I've seen makes me believe it would be impossible. I've seen pictures of a 4.6 in an effie, so why not a 5.4 in a F1? I think if you can plan well enough before you start, it can be done.

I found a 48 F1, trying to find a way to pick it up this week! I have an 03 Lightning drivetrain just waiting for me to pay for it! Shoot, I'm almost done! Better hurry!

Good Luck, I hope you decide to do it!

Kreg

Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
fifty-two_f1
Posting Guru
fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
where did you find seats???????

Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 AM
OK F1
Senior User
OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Lightning seats

I didn't, but the seat countours are the same as in some other F150's except for the SVT Logo, I am going to have them reskinned in leather and add SVT logo. I planned on doing a different color than gray cloth and black suede anyway. Thinking about either a dark slate gray leather with black accents like the orginal, or something to match the paint color. I still haven't decided paint color, but I am leaning towards the Dark Slate Gray that was a factory Lightning color. If I go Ford Bright Red, I will probably do a tan leather.

You can always go buy a wrecked or used up lightning and freshen up the drivetrain, use the ECM, harness, seats, badges, etc. That was my plan until I stumbled onto this drivetrain.

I want to also add some styling touches that mimic the L, like adding some height (thickness) to the running boards, adding a roll pan and integral front bumper, and having the exhaust exit before the right rear tire.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Tomget
Elder User
Tomget is starting off with a positive reputation.
Totally cool. That would be a "classy" Ford truck motor for a F1. Do it if you can.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
50adrod
Junior User
50adrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is and old thread but I have a friend who did this including the seats in a 48. I will try to get pics of it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.