1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1995 Ford E-150 Van 5.8 Engine, Cranks way to much before starting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
bradley brinegar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Ford E-150 Van 5.8 Engine, Cranks way to much before starting.

I am working on a 1995 E-150 Van with a 5.8 351 engine. It cranks way to long before finally starting, but it will eventualy start, and when it does start it runs perfect with no other problems. I have connected a spark tester to one of the plugs and when it is cranking I am getting fire. I have replaced the IAC valve and have the same problem. The fuel system has been checked and I was told that the fuel pressure was ok. I can hear the fuel pump come on when the key is first turned on and then it builds up pressure and shuts off. Any help would be great, I am working on my pastors van so he don't have the dealer fee's. I will ad that it does not matter if it has been sitting for 5 minutes or 5 hours it will crank and crank for some time before starting hot or cold. I would add how many times it cranks, but it is wayyy to many to count.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Could be a bad pickup in the distributor, or coil.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
bradley brinegar
New User
I should not be getting fire to the plug if the pick up coil or coil was bad, I don't think anyway. I read some of the forums today and I got some advice about spraying throttle body cleaner in the breather area to see if it started that way. Well I looked at it and it was cranking and not starting so I sprayed the cleaner in it as it was being cranked and it started right up. Just to be sure I waited a few minutes and done it again, and sure enough it started right up. Now as far as the fuel system goes, he has had the fuel injectors cleaned, but not checked, replaced the fuel regulator, and replaced fuel filter twice. Someone checked the fuel pressure was ok. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Pull the codes to see if anything is flagged, see Ford Fuel Injection for a DIY procedure.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Just thinking the coil or pickup could be weak, not dead, but after mentioning spray fires it up quick, it's time for injectors, cleaning doesn't always open them fully.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 AM
bradley brinegar
New User
Alright guys, I have had a little breakthrough on this van. This weekend I went out to the van after it had been sitting for a couple of hours. It should crank a very long time before it starts. What I did was turned the key to the on position, allowed the fuel pump to stop pumping and turned it right back off, then turned it back on, let it run until it stopped and I done this about 8 to 10 times. I cranked the engine on the last time and it started right up with only 1 to 3 cranks. I was under the understanding that a fuel pump would come on and build up the proper pressure and shut off when the key was turned to the on position. I have heard that is not the case, when I heard that when the key is turned on it only comes on for a preset amount of time and shuts off. When I heard of this, I thought ok, I will allow the fuel pump plenty of time to build up pressure and then start it and it worked. Now with this being said, what do you guys think it would be, the fuel pump bad or the pressure regulator? Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
You have to hook a gauge up to your fuel rail and get a reading, should give you an idea where to start, the regulator is far easier than the pump tho.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Since you say the van runs fine once it starts then I would go and change the regulator. It the pump was bad then it shouldn't run in a normal manner. The problem is that the system is not holding pressure in the lines after you shut the engine off. The pump has to build pressure before the system will work properly.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 AM
bradley brinegar
New User
Thanks for the input, I will try to get a fuel pressure gauge and see what I can find out.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
The fuel pump module (FDM) is bad in the tank. There is a check valve inside the module to hold the fuel in the lines. This check valve is bad. A fuel gauge will not help you in this case other than to watch the fuel pressure go right down as soon as you turn it off.

The FDM:

/

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
bradley brinegar
New User
Thanks for the drawing Subford, that was really helpful in understanding how it works. I will get a fuel pump and install it when time is available. I will post back on how it goes, thanks to all who replied.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
As I said, the gauge would help, as you could see a quick drop key off, indicating fuel pump.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 AM
bradley brinegar
New User
Thanks to all who replied on this starting issue, I got a fuel pump this past weekend and installed it and we are starting right up with no problems. I really can't thank you all enough, and my pastor also says thank you. Now he can go where he wants and not worry about this van not starting.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Great to hear, I had one go out at the gas station after filling the tank, very irritating knowing removal of the tank is harder when it's full, and you wind up losing some in the change over.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
95 e150
New User
i have the same problem with same simptoms

Hi guys, i knew it was the check valve i was contemplating on installing an outside check valve to prevent drainage of gas back into a tank, but my pump whines pretty loud so i know i have to get in there anyway, my question is this - do i have to replace the whole module or (i can get the pump itself for under $40 on ebay), but what about the check valve does anyone have a clue if THAT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE, OR INSTALL SOME OTHER ONE (AFTER ALL IT SHOULD BE A SIMPLE CHECK VALVE) THE WHOLE MODULE IS QUITE EXPENSIVE....or install an outside pump that is interchangeable with other 5.8L ford or other makes, my understanding is it has to pump gas and prevent it from draining back, shouldn't matter if it is on the inside or outside right?...ANY IDEAS ?

Quick Reply: 1995 Ford E-150 Van 5.8 Engine, Cranks way to much before starting.