1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shipping a cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 11:06 AM
mikew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shipping a cab

Does anyone have any experience shipping something like a cab. I've found a potential cab in Texas and I need to ship it to Ohio. I've checked roadyway and ABF Freight and they ranged from $500-$800. Ouch..... I've been told that there are trucking companies that would love something like this because they usually head back up to the northeast empty. The problem is that I have no idea where to start looking for someone like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Old 02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,172 Likes on 839 Posts
Shipping a cab

Mike,

On the Old Truck web site they have a hauling schedule.

.www.oldtrucks.com

You can see if someone is hauling for your needed route or post your needs

Also you can check the Antique Truck Club's board. There are haulers who post on there once in a while.

Antique Truck Club

Good luck

My truck page

Old 02-11-2003, 01:55 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Shipping a cab

Mike

Your only chance is to use a method like Bob posted and find an empty truck that has to return to OH anyway. As expensive as it sounds, the rate quotes you listed are competitive. I have received quotes for over $200 for items I could carry into the place on a small dolly.

Dewayne

Old 02-11-2003, 04:30 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 359 Likes on 269 Posts
Shipping a cab

Mike, what I've learned to do the hard way is figure your expenses to drive to TX and pick it up yourself. Fuel, lodging, time off work, etc.

I drove from Montana to Kansas to haul a truck home. Ended up costing me in the neighborhood of $2500-3000 after paying for 2 wreckers, motel bills, guardrails, rental car and gas, storage fees, trailer and truck repairs, ect,etc.

Makes 5-800 look cheaper, doesn't it? Good luck with it whatever you do!

Noticed you're from Kent - I went to college there back in the '70's - ahh the memories!

Old 02-11-2003, 04:50 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Shipping a cab

Hey another Northeastern Ohio truck nut! Since it seems you've tried most of the local truck companies I would try and locate a owner/operator that would surely pick it up for a few extra bucks.
If all else fails you could go and pick it up with a pickup because it's only a cab.