Sponsored by: Moser

Advice Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 07:18 AM
Jgbohlen
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Welcome

Hi All, I have an old 1976 F-250 I'd like to sell. It hasn't been driven in years but it's still in good condition, problem is, it's in my husband's home town which is in Wyoming (stored with family) and we are now in NY. Any suggestions on how to sell this without having to ship it out to NY? I'm clueless when it comes to this.
Oh and If i am going about this the wrong way, please let me know. I dont want to break any rules. Just want some advice.
Thanks,
Jenn

Old 09-16-2023, 09:04 AM
Viper Pilot
GM Refugee
Received 379 Likes on 261 Posts
Do you have any pictures? Post them here along with as many details you have on the truck. How long has it been sitting? How many miles on it? Engine? Automatic or manual transmission? The more information you can provide the members here the more we can help you.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:09 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Jgbohlen
Hi All, I have an old 1976 F-250 I'd like to sell. It hasn't been driven in years but it's still in good condition, problem is, it's in my husband's home town which is in Wyoming (stored with family) and we are now in NY. Any suggestions on how to sell this without having to ship it out to NY? I'm clueless when it comes to this.
Oh and If i am going about this the wrong way, please let me know. I dont want to break any rules. Just want some advice.
Thanks,
Jenn
well you could read the site guidelines when you sign up to a forum.
Personal Items For Sale .For Sale items are not allowed in the automotive and general discussion forums of FTE. We have a Classifieds section that you can list your items in. You can also link to it in your signature as long as you follow the signature guidelines. Personal Items For Sale .For Sale items are not allowed in the automotive and general discussion forums of FTE. We have a Classifieds section that you can list your items in. You can also link to it in your signature as long as you follow the signature guidelines.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-16-2023, 10:21 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I see that this isn't a "classified ad" offering a sale, just a person asking how to go about it.

Is there any family out there willing and able to show it or help a buyer access it for looks? You can buy & sell across state lines, but signing things like bill of sales and titles will go slower via mail. If you list it like on Craigs List, do so letting all know it's in Wyoming. You'll likely be using a Notary too.

In 1994 I saw an ad in "Old Bike Journal" in the classified section for a Triumph I wanted, it was in upper Vermont, I was here, 760 miles one way away. Called the guy Friday night, we just talked, I felt was legit, I said OK. Sent a deposit in Saturday's mail, found out I was off Tuesday but Sgt. let me work early half shift Monday 6-10. At 10 I was @ home marked 10-42, truck was packed too. We left here at 10:20 AM, 760 + miles later it was early Tuesday about 2AM and I was checking into a room near Burlington, Wife, our Dog, and Me. Called the seller at 6AM to get him before he left for work, saw bike by 7AM, I beat the deposit but he took my word for it, wrote him a ballance check, he signed Vt. title after we put in my info ... and by 8AM, we were on the road homeward bound, Triumph's 7" Lucas head light in my mirror. Got home way after Dark so unloaded next day after work. I kept that bike 25 years. It's in Florida last I heard of it, that buyer sent a private shipper with trailer to get it. Was a guy in Ireland wanted it, but he wanted to touch it first.

Old 09-16-2023, 03:21 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
IMO this is a sharp edged grey area as far a following the forum/site guidelines. With your current wording you are "still safe" and at the edge and ok. And yes 100% Dustyroad is correct in quoting the Site Guidelines. Thanks Dusty.

I agree that she is asking for ADVICE on how to sell it. But ma'am please do not go into any more details or posting the Craigslist/FB MP add like you are trying to sell it HERE in this thread. Because then you could be perceived as being on the other side of following the guidelines.

So bottom line Jgbohlen go to the FTE classifieds (marketplace) and make a for sale add/listing there. FTE link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum295/

I would also reach out to the FTE Wyoming state chapter and post a for sale add there. That is generally allowed in the lower level forums. Some state chapters have a for sale/wanted section at the top of the forum list.

Wyoming link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum214/

Wyoming for sale. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...trade-ads.html

Do you have family members that can show the truck to potential buyers?
Do you have a title, it needs to be in the hands of the folks where the truck is.
So to not get scammed, do not sell it to a Nigerian prince that offers to pay you more than you are asking. Like you cash the check and get to keep the extra $.
Do not set up any pick up shipping without a face to face/cash/certified bank check transaction at the trucks location.

Feel free to PM me for help on how to word the FTE Market place add. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=392640

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-17-2023, 05:50 AM
Jgbohlen
3rd Gear
Well, I don't have a craigslist ad or any other ad for that matter. This forum was suggested by a someone at my Toyota dealership. So, i came here first asking for ADVICE, not to sell it as I had no idea where to even start. I will be most certain not to post anything to the like here now. This is my first time posting on a forum of any type and I did read the guidelines.
But thank you for the advice and the warm welcome.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:15 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
I hope my advice was not taken the wrong way, and reaching out to the Wyoming chapter should make it easier to sell, since it is in that state. Good luck with the sale and keep us posted.

Old 09-17-2023, 12:04 PM
Jgbohlen
3rd Gear
No Sir, Your advice was fine. Thank you for all the suggestions you have given. I am most appreciative.